ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking / Juddering when pulling away / hill starts

ClioSport
Hi all,
Clio sport 172 53'

Car has developed a knocking / juddering noise and feeling when pulling away at a slightly faster pace and if putting your foot down whilst driving.
Mechanic has looked at the car and all engine mounts seem solid and he can't see anything obvious.
Nothing seems to be loose or banging around (exhaust)

Just saw someone suggested replacing the "Dog Bone" on a different thread but not sure where that is located, anyone guide me to it as I can check to see in case he missed it.

Also does anyone have any suggestions what it could be ?
Thanks again for any help

renault clio 172 amp 182 dog bone engine mount bush kit Car Pictures.jpg
Hi all,
Clio sport 172 53'

Car has developed a knocking / juddering noise and feeling when pulling away at a slightly faster pace and if putting your foot down whilst driving.
Mechanic has looked at the car and all engine mounts seem solid and he can't see anything obvious.
Nothing seems to be loose or banging around (exhaust)

Just saw someone suggested replacing the "Dog Bone" on a different thread but not sure where that is located, anyone guide me to it as I can check to see in case he missed it.

Also does anyone have any suggestions what it could be ?
Thanks again for any help
Dog bone is located under the car. It joins the lower part of the gearbox to front bulkhead. The bushes wear and allow too much movement at the bottom of the engine/transmission. The symptoms are usually a knocking or clunk on pull away. Its the exhaust manifold hitting the bulkhead as the bottom of the engine moves too much. I polybushed mine with some powerflex purple bushes, £50 ish and it went straight away. Was an easy job and it makes the gear change a little sharper.

Last edited:

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Does the gearstick move excessively under throttle on/off, this shows engine/gearbox mount issues
I would have a guess at clutch friction plate or flywheel issue though

ClioSport
Don't think the gear stick moves much on or off throttle,
I'll will try and get a video of it as its most noticeable when pulling away a little bit faster or of at higher revs then pulling away it judders and knocks (sounds like the front is loose knocking noise but not a 'grinding' noise)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
There's a group buy on evol gearbox mounts if it's of interest. Improves over standard

ClioSport
The bush that connects to the dogleg to the straight adjuster is split and not great, can't get the bigger bolt off the dog leg so unsure but doesn't look amazing in there,

Also how do you tighten the adjuster up ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 300
  ClioSport
Ah ok, so when tightening it up how do I pull it forward closer to the front of the engine to stop the banging noise ?

Found this guide:

So I don't have to worry about doing anything to the black bar nearer the engine ?

Last edited:
  ClioSport
Fitted new mounts for the Dog bone and under the battery mount but no improvement :/ anyone else have any ideas what this could be ?
Could it be deeper such as clutch or Gearbox ?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
If all the mounts seem in good condition, the next step is strip down, the first job is to remove the driveshafts and check them for excessive wear, if they are ok it's box out and checking for hot spots on the flywheel face and clutch pressure plate and then warping or uneven wear to the clutch friction plate

ClioSport
Ok Thanks,
Well the mechanic said all the mounts were fine and replaced 2 that looked slightly worn,
The drive shaft has been replaced which has helped but not cured it, is there any special things to look out for when fitting the driveshafts ?

When he had the drive shaft out he looked at the shim and it was bolted in (which he found different ) and suggested it might be a different gearbox ? (might just be the Clio sport one)

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what you mean by shim, I can't think of any around the shaft assembly, if he means diff bolted in, then yes 03ish onwards had bolted diffs. If he means the near side inner boot then yes all mk2 sports use the boot bolted to the box style.
if the shafts are causing the issue your mechanic will be able to tell with them in his hand.

ClioSport
Had a different mechanic friend look over the car and he thinks it's the springs in the clutch are loose and on take up it rattles around,

Thanks all for the help, shame it wasn't a quick fix but atleast I have enough knowledge when selling to let others know whats going on with the car.