ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking and Steering Wheel alignment

182 Sport 2.0I
Hey all,

Its been a while since ive posted and there doesnt seem to be a decent place for this thread to go so i am slamming it right here.. :)

So, i changed my Gearbox which i mashed up. It was fun, and not for the faint hearted. A f**king ball ache and would some f**ker else to do it unless i had an engine crane a ramp and a week off work...

I had never done any major work like this before and imn the kind of guy that just does it. To hell with tittying around pussying about how too do it.. Jurst get it done. And a few weeks later (working on weekends) I had my car back on the road! Tip... Dont do it on Axel Stands unless your planning on taking the engine out.. I took the gearbox through the wheel arch and it was a b**ch.

Now everything is back together and back in order. Putting together was much easier that the pulling apart. But I have a strange problem. A small knock, so here is the riddle:

• Its a hollow sounding knock which seems to come through the steering rack
  • It only seems to be when going over bumps one side or the other and not when hitting them level
  • My steering column has small play in it if you grab it near the pedals and push back and forth where the flange is.

I have had a lot of thoughts, CV Join, f**ked steering rack, Suspension but everything seems fine... Any ideas? It was NOT there before the car was stripped.

On a last note, how can I realign a VERY VERY out steering wheel (45 degrees) which I forgot to align when I put the subframe and steering rack back together. Of, and i took the Wheel off... It only goes on one way :(

Cheers all!

Sounds like you have'nt put something back together right pal.

Did you disconnect any part of the steering when doing the job, like the power steering pump or anything like that??

182 Sport 2.0I
Nop,

I followed the guide on the forum to remove the engine and it didn't mention anything regarding the power steering. The column slide out when taking the engine bay appart because the sub frame was dropped.

Its weird, Also, is there any way of just pulling the whole steering column appart to put the steering wheel straight because i forgot to align it when putting it back together.

Maybe when you raised the subframe you didn't align the column right?

If nothing had been touched it wouldn't just break would it.

Looks like you might be pulling it apart again pal.

Depends if it is fitted right or not.

As for the knocking, could it be a loose ARB bolt on the wishbone, or a loose top mount.

182 Sport 2.0I
I've checked the top mounts and they seem nice a tight.

I will double check the ARB this weekend when I get it up on some stands.

182 Sport 2.0I
Steering wheel all straight now :) Took off the whole column. It comes free by just removing 4 x 13MM bolts.