ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keys

Suzuki Swift Sport
Hi There,

When I bought my 182, the previous owner had lost the spare key, leaving me with just the one main key. Obviously im quite worried about losing it - as ill be needing to change all the locks etc if i do!

Im not particularly bothered about having 2 fully remote keys, I was wondering if i just had one cut - would I be able to get a new key from Renault based on that one (and programmed) in the event of me losing the main key.

Thanks

Nick

RB 182 Cup
i would like to know this too! i know i have a 2nd key as when i rung up renault they said hes had 1 re coded then re booked another recoding but failed to turn up. Would renault give me the replacement for free?

03 RS clio 172 flameR
they usually charge a fair wack for a remote key, if you got just a key cut then it would open the door but be s**t becouse it wouldnt start the car as it is coded with the imobiloser code which transmits as it enters the key hole.

Key from Renault + programming = circa £140.

You can't get used ones re-programmed either, so ti's the only option. :(

BMW F21 125d
Price varies from dealer to dealer, but as said, its an expensive solution.

My 172 only had one key, tried writing to the previous owner, even offered him a token payment for it, never heard nothing back. Eventually I Part-Ex'd it in (not bcos it had one key!) and the dealer never though twice of it only having one key. The 182 I now own, has both keys present.

Suzuki Swift Sport
they usually charge a fair wack for a remote key, if you got just a key cut then it would open the door but be s**t becouse it wouldnt start the car as it is coded with the imobiloser code which transmits as it enters the key hole.

I realise that, but in the event of losing my main key, could i then use the one I had cut to have a new one made a Renault. Therefore meaning I only have to shell out the full price of a new one if I actually lose my main key.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
I realise that, but in the event of losing my main key, could i then use the one I had cut to have a new one made a Renault. Therefore meaning I only have to shell out the full price of a new one if I actually lose my main key.

hmmmm, i dont see why not, they get all the info they need from the ecu so you would save having the locks redone, so yes i think your right.

Suzuki Swift Sport
hmmmm, i dont see why not, they get all the info they need from the ecu so you would save having the locks redone, so yes i think your right.

Well that was my thinking! then I only have to shell out if ive been a numpty!

Also do you know anywhere where I can get one cut? id imagine the average key place cant do car keys!

03 RS clio 172 flameR
yes they can, i had one priced up on my saxo a while back, that was a coded key but he said £4 for the key or £20 to code it if i had the keycode, now you should have the keycode in the cars books.