ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Keyless Entry / Door lock switches

sub

ClioSport Club Member
  RS200
So, like many, my keyless lock on the doors gave up working many years ago. Today I decided to investigate. The results are pretty shocking, but I might have a fix. Will let you know when the silicon sets….

After removing the handle, and the locking mechanism, I ended up with something that looks like this….

IMG_2154.jpeg

Desoldered that, it’s just a switch. But here’s where I was a bit amazed, and not at all surprised it’s died. They used the same micro switches that are found in every piece of electronics. This is absolutely the wrong type to use, in my opinion, as these are designed to withstand 10,000s of presses, and the one thing they can’t handle? Moisture.

The engineers obviously knew this, so made attempts to provide some protection by covering the rear of it with silicone, but moisture still makes it’s way in.

I’ve just removed the old switch, here’s what’s left (minus the metal press cap).

image.jpg

You can see how terrible the corrosion is, no wonder the poor thing doesn’t work.

I’ve added a new switch, and re sealed it. Will probably last a few years, but pretty shoddy to expect these to last a lifetime of a car.