ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

key fobs not unlocking car!

RB 182 Cup
my keys arent unlocking the car, i had to get pretty close to the car for it to unlock before, went to open car this morning and it wont unlock.

i opened the car on the other side and the immobilser goes out when i put the key in so the keys are still holding their codes, and the internal lock button is locking and releasing so the central locking is working

what could be causing the problem of not picking up the key depressed signal? as on the other 2 lads clio's you can unlock the cars from pretty far away

help please :(

Da

Less
Does the light illuminate on the key when you press the button?

Have you tried both keys?

RB 182 Cup
yea the light flashes on both keys have tried both to unlock the and both have new batteries in also tried the batteries on the other cars keys and they work, and the keys have the code unless the immobilser wouldnt go out :(

Da

Less
Yeah agreed, it sounds like the might need re-synching.

Try this method;

Put key in ignition and switch on but don't start the car.
Press and hold your in-dash door lock button until it beeps (twice I believe!)
Now with the key still in the ignition, press key as you would to lock/unlock the car. This should re-synch it, try it a few times to make sure.

Repeat the full process with your second key.

It may not be this but this is always a logical place to start as it's free! :)

Da

Less
Hmmm...maybe it's the receiver then, I'm not sure where it is in the 182.

I'll try and find out.

Megane dci 130
The Uch is the reciever, sounds like a problem with that. But first I would take it to renault and get them to re sync them on clip.

Volvo S60 T5
jump in at the deep end, try new batterys in the key fobs before condeming the UCH.

I expect the batterys are weak.

RB 182 Cup
i have tried batteries from the other cars key fobs, i'll try brand new batterys,

is the uch the reciever? i thought their was a reciever in the ignition barrel?

RB 182 Cup
weird though the car was working fine, just went out to use it the other morning and wouldnt unlock, batmans had a look at where the uch is an everything looks fine no broken wire's etc

his cleaned/checked all the fuses and they also seem fine, so theirs no unit outside the uch that recieves the key fob signal?

and what does the unit look like if the key fob part is outside of the uch box?

Megane dci 130
The UCH recieves the central locking signal and the Ring around the barrel recieves the Imobiliser code from the key to start the car.

I cant remember if the ariel for the key is inside the uch or a sperate wire coming out of it.

Da

Less
so its an ariel that receives the signal? is it possible to have a look in the uch housing and look for any problems?

It's a small computer type box so there's not really much to see from the outside unless any wires are visibly damaged or the unit is wet.

RB 182 Cup
we've tried disconnecting the wires to the uch theirs no breaks, we've put a hair dryer on the box for a while incase their was any moisture in it, and we've dc the battery for a while to reset everything, still no result apart from my petrol light now works!

is it time for new uch,decoder ring and keys?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The key needs reprogramming on a clip diagnostic computer. If this fails its more than likely the switch on the circuit board has broke free from its solder and isnt functioning correctly. They can sometimes be repaired by a nimble fingered auto electrician. If this doesnt work it will need new keys.

The UCH does recieve the signal for the central locking as stated and the Anti-theft ring picks up the immobilser output from the plip key immobilser chip.

UCH problems are major cause of internal electric faults on 2001 onwards clio's but im positive this problem lies with your plip key

Last edited:
  MERCEDES CLS AMG
heres a few pics of the internal fault - this is the thumb switch that controls the locking and unlocking of the car

149_4995.jpg

149_4994.jpg

149_4993.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
useful knowledge this.

i have 2 keys, the one i use works, but i have to remove it from my pocket, then point it at the car from a relatively close proximity, its been like this since i had it so i am guessing its not a battery issue, does that just need re-syncing?

the second i have never used, the light does not come on but i am sure i tried it with the battery from the other it still didn't work, i will obviously get a new battery for it first but anybody got an idea what that could be?

cheers

Da

Less
I can re-solder the keys providing you still have the tiny micro-button as mentioned by Matt.

Freebone, yours has probably lost the little button I'm referring to, however if you've tried swapping the battery chances are that the button will have fallen out and be lost forever. :dapprove:

Da

Less
You can re-synch them yourself yes, the method I've listed above is from memory but I'm sure it's the correct one.
Renault can do a dealer re-synch on clip but they will (obviously) charge for that.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Put key in ignition and switch on but don't start the car.
Press and hold your in-dash door lock button until it beeps (twice I believe!) ***
Now with the key still in the ignition, press key as you would to lock/unlock the car. This should re-synch it, try it a few times to make sure.

Repeat the full process with your second key.

*** is this not the autolock function? will this not reverse the autolock?

Da

Less
No, you don't need the ignition on for that! ;)
Plus it beeps twice instead of just the once.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
The correct procedure ......

Press the central locking button ( centre console ) for 5 seconds until the engine immobiliser light illuminates and the central locking motors operate on the doors.

Then press the key twice - the doors will lock and then unlock. This will re-synch your plip key.

If the above procedure does not work a new key will be needed

MERCEDES CLS AMG
1 - No - dont put the key in the ignition

2 - Red circular light situated in centre of instrument panel