ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key fob won't work & car won't start

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Just happend, car started fine drove to a friends house turned car off and it would not lock! Then I tried to start I and no joy either.

I'm guessing its the imboaliser? Anything I can do to solve this?

SQ5
Open the key fob and make sure its contacting, also make sure the little light is lighting up red.

Mine does this from time to time, probably just the battery dying :)

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
When the key is fully turned the red light on the dash flashes fast also, I will open the key and give it a try tho

CLIO PH1 172
Try the battery in the key also get your car battery and alt tested if not then I can pretty much garentee it's the little chip in your key fob, which means a new key from Renault.

Ps I had this problem as well, a new key solved it straight away! Also get this done asap other wise it will die on you completely and you will be stuck!

Oh and if you have a spare try that.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
had to call my parents out with my spare key, the spare wont unlock the car but will start it :S

how the hell do you get the cover off the fobs? mine wont budge at all!

CLIO PH1 172
Hahaha ther pretty stiff but they slide ( the side with the button hose down ) when holding the blade upwards

Like I say though mate get it sorted sooner rather than later as it will just pack. Bit be prepared to pay about £90 kwid !

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaha ther pretty stiff but they slide ( the side with the button hose down ) when holding the blade upwards

Like I say though mate get it sorted sooner rather than later as it will just pack. Bit be prepared to pay about £90 kwid !

cheers i was trying to open it the way the arrow points on the back :eek:

opend the spare key and the battery was in the wrong way :S and the spare key now opens and locks the car which is good.

but the other key does nothing :dapprove: so looks like its goosed! but atleast i have 1 working key!

Golf GTD Mk7
sounds like the car isn't recognising the keys for some reason. It's strange that one starts it but doesn't unlock it. May be two issues. Could be as simple as resyncing the keys with CLIP.

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
yeah i will get it sorted, as they can go for no reason! lucky i wasnt that far from home!

is it £90 for the fob and to have it programed? or just the fob?

thanks for all your help Adam! :)

CLIO PH1 172
In find the invoice tommmorow and let you know it doesn't need Programming it just means the central locking won't work I think Renault charge about £30 for this but most other garages can do it

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
sounds like the car isn't recognising the keys for some reason. It's strange that one starts it but doesn't unlock it. May be two issues. Could be as simple as resyncing the keys with CLIP.

the spare key battery was in the wrong way thats why it wouldnt lock/unlock the car.

i just find it strange how the other key just doesnt work anymore!

CLIO PH1 172
In side the key there is a little chip it's black and it disables the imobiliser when you insert the key. It's this part that goes.

If you were to buy a new key it would start the car as usual but it would not be synced with your central locking ( the syncing is what Renault charge about £30 for)

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
went to goto work this morning took both keys with me and they both dont work! :mad:

i am seriously confused now! the key that worked last night still locks/unlocks the car but will now not start it!!

so i now have 2 useless keys! :banghead:

CLIO PH1 172
adam172; said:
Also get this done asap other wise it will die on you completely and you will be stuck!

Yea this is what Renault said it wil just go and your fucked, seriously mate you need a new key asap, plus each key is specific to your car (obviusley) so Renault have to order it in so your looking at 5days ish

Keep trying the key you might get lucky and it will work, just jeep putting it in and out until the red light doesn't flash really fast and It goes out!

-KarL-

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I will ring up soon, also pm'd wests Renault on here.

Just a pain they both stop working!

Golf GTD Mk7
I doubt the decoder will be gone mate. Light would flash like crazy if so. Key validation sounds the most likely