ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Key fob problem?

Renault Clio Sport MK2
I am trying to fix up a Clio but I have came into trouble with the central locking. I have tried a new battery in the fob and resetting it but to no avail. I've heard I can get a new circuit board for the fob and a new ir. Would this work? Any help would be appreciated.

330i. E30 Touring.
Will be locked into the UCH, etc I reckon.

I've got a 182 ECU, UCH, two door locks, ignition barrel and a key for sale, if needed.

Golf GTD Mk7
you can't put a 182 ECU on if that's not the model you're running. What is the car? Does the light still flash when you press the key, does it still start the car ok? Could just need a recode.

172 cup
hi can you help me please my central locking not locking my 172 cup i can still lock using button inside car but wont lock drivers side as it disingages as soon as i get out. ive changed key fob batteries, disconnected the battery and refitted it. it starts the car fine just wont lock it do you think i need it recoded or the uch unit any help replies sorry for jacking thread

Golf GTD Mk7
hi jonny im not local to ya mate down south what is the problem i got doin ma head in wanna have a good idea b4 go to renault

It's one of two things, either the transmitter has gone in the key, (however if you've tried your spare I'd be surprised) or the keys need recoding with the uch. Might be the receiver on the car also I suppose. Diagnostics would be best way to check.

172 cup
tht narrows it down a bit i had the same problem few months back and a good drive sorted it???? this time no joy i have two sets of keys too they both worked now neither are locking it

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Renault plip keys are temperamental.

If the car wont start because of the key its usually because it needs re-programming or its knackered. Its very rare batteries solve the problem and in some cases a battery change can make it worse ( may lose the code in battery swap ) I take it you have tried to re-synch the key & checked the receiver but with no success ? Have you got a spare key you could try ?

Another common fault is the micro switch on the circuit board coming lose and rattling around inside the casing. This is the button that activates the central locking.

149_4995.jpg

149_4994.jpg

149_4993.jpg

These are easy to re-solder and can sometimes cure the fault. I take it the car is starting ? This means the immobiliser chip is communicating with the de-coder ring on the ignition barrel and disarming the system. If the central locking isn't working its more likely that the plip key needs recoding - this is a simple process and can be done via a CLIP diagnostic machine ( you will need your immobiliser code - can be obtained by PM'ing me ) If you have 2 keys make sure they are re-programmed at the same time. If the key doesnt take a code and you have it diagnosed as faulty a new key is £91.76 + vat ( part number 8200067907 or 8200100173 - both same part ) this comes in virgin form and will need coding in ( at extra cost )

01018309_1.png

If this doesnt work it will more than likely be the multitimer unit / UCH / BIC board thats at fault - these are responsible for most internal electrical gremilins on most Renault's. This is situated above the bonnet release handle on the N/S of the dashboard. New ones cost £168.19 + vat ( part number varies due to numerous supersessions ) 8200065817, 8200621763, 8200387291,
8200234046, 8200311990, 8200272302, 8200207135 - all the same part.

01013438_1-1.png

If all else fails or you want a cheap alternative you can fit a second hand ECU kit. You will need to find a donor car with the exact same ECU Part number as yours. You will need the UCH and the plip key as well + the chassis number off the donor car in order to obtain the immobiliser code to program or order another key if required.

A good tip is keep your key away from electrical appliances that emit a high frequency radio wave or infa red signals as these interfere with the plip keys electrics ( mobile phones !! )

Last edited:
  Golf GTD Mk7
Nice run down that matt. This should be sticky'd tbh. These keys can be virginised if you know the right people btw ;) What do you charge for immobiliser code mate?

FYI you can't use clip to do this unless its an older version due to the new systems renault put in place. In and out codes make it such a pain. v86 ftw :D

172 cup
cheers matt black and jonny for the info thinking i need keys reprogrammed or a new reciever cos it weird how both keys worked fine and then both stop working same time.

also guys been holding down internal central locking button inside car and on the 1st hold it beeps once on the 2nd it beeps twices then wen i started driving the locks were coming on without me touching the button.
Ave i missed something cos thought my car was going bonkers like other threads ive looked wher cars are locking and unlocking

Golf GTD Mk7
Does sound like the keys are fine, just need resyncing.

You've activated auto lock when you hold down the central locking button. It's usually always on. Stops people mugging you at lights ;)

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Nice run down that matt. This should be sticky'd tbh. These keys can be virginised if you know the right people btw ;) What do you charge for immobiliser code mate?

FYI you can't use clip to do this unless its an older version due to the new systems renault put in place. In and out codes make it such a pain. v86 ftw :D

We can program them on our clip ? Its the key cards we cant do - but we have a guy that has a diagnostic computer from these guys that can do the cards.

http://www.hickleys.com/

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Possibly - have you had the battery disconnected ?

Have you reconnected the coil pack / all power leads ?

172 cup
Bit of an update the keys fob seem to be locking it randomly ill pop out for ten mins go to lock it and it works, go back to it later to unlock it and nothing i have to open passenger door using key therfore setting alarm off!! random hum

Golf GTD Mk7
something's not right there. Might be worth getting them resynced tbh. Failing that, if you put it on CLIP it will should you where the problem lies to an extent. It may just be a case of revalidating.

172 cup
yeah hopefully just a re sync and not an uch, it annoying as hell just want it to work normally never had a french car before and the electics are terrible.

sometimes for no reason the air bag light and serv will come on then go off then wont do it for weeks then suddenly will flicker on and go out tens seconds later is this anything to do with oil level being low or anything, regulary check it and have three dashes when i press the reset button on start up. read threads where people say its connectors under seat but havnt touched them or moved seat or nothing.

the fan never cuts in, ive been out today with it being warmer park up engine running fan doesnt come on. tbh ive never heard it on but i have a way of seeing if it has moved put a liitle tipex on one of the blades line it up after a drive i look it has moved. ohh french electrics i love u :S