ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kaspersky or Sophos - business?

Rav4
Hi,

What do you recommend,

We currently have Sophos and it's great.

I have just seen a demo for Kaspersky, more complicated but looks superb.

Sophos is more expensive.

What are your thoughts?

DKNIGHT - you use sophos at work, your thoughts would be great.

Thanks,

G.

Cupped 200
Sophos is, espacially for companies the way to go, but let me say that it was like that a few year ago, atm i dont know whats good, but sophos was No. 1 for long time.

Rav4
Kaspersky provides a lot of stuff.

It even allows you to install some third party applications remotely.

Interesting product.

I moved away from Symantec and went with Kaspersky after seeing a Webex demo of the Admin Kit.

Whilst it is a great product and seems to keep everything at bay, I would just advise you to be weary that Kaspersky seem to use live users to test their products rather than waiting and ensuring the product is up to the job before rolling it out.

We are running the latest Admin Kit and MP4 across our estate and a couple of 2008 boxes fell over over the Christmas period due to corrupt virus defs that Kaspersky had released. Not only that, after moving to the latest product, patch after patch for memory leaks are being released but you have to google them rather than there being a central repository on Kasperskys site. I still think the Admin Kit is killing 1 of my DC's every few weeks due to a memory leak but just keeping a close eye on it at the moment!

I love the admin kit though, and being able to see at a glance at what is going on in your network is a great tool, and little tools such as locking down USB ports etc is great.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Put it this way gabi, we can have any of them for free as they are all begging us to use their product (we sell lots of sophos and kaspersky) and we chose to go sophos.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Out of those two Sophos hands down, I don't rate Kaspersky at all tbh.

We use McAfee though and never had any problems.

Rav4
I see.

That makes sense.

I'll have a think.

Had a MS Exchange 2010 and Server 2008 R2 seminar today courtesy of your lovely company. Good times.

Thanks,

G.

Put it this way gabi, we can have any of them for free as they are all begging us to use their product (we sell lots of sophos and kaspersky) and we chose to go sophos.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I HATE sophos...oooo you plugged a USB stick in with a file on it IT MUST BE A VIRUS :(
Lol, any decent company would disable all usb's for normal users anyway, there's no need for them to use them normally. They are used to get photos on their pc etc, not work related stuf. And it's very likely they could brig a virus in from home, so you would be mad these days to not disable them.

Bumder With A Buffer
Worst thing was the IT guy came up and said "you have a virus" so I did a scan and sure enough it found it.

Okay delete virus...Computer says no you need :( you need the usb stick in that the "virus" is on! Great 200 usb sticks in the company and fucked if I can remember what one it was.

For reference it wasn't a "virus" it was a file that when you plug the usb stick in it automatically opens up an explorer view that was causing it. Seems a bit silly and takes far too long to run a scan and absolutely RAPES my PC when it runs (its not a slow PC either!)

Been alright recently but I dont see what the big fuss about SOPHOS is??? :S

Clio Dynamique
We got Kaspersky because of the price / a recommendation / easy to setup. Just in the process of moving the admin kit to a dedicated virtual server with the database on our SQL server. Previously we installed it on a domain controller with SQL Express but we had a few problems, not sure if it was Windows or Kaspersky. When we first installed it the network started to grind to a halt but a friend said change the scanning mode from smart to on execution which fixed things.

I had a few issues with the migration and after an initial response from Technical support they never got back to me again and I ended up resolving the issue myself but it required a server rebuild.

Bumder With A Buffer
We use sophos.

But sometimes, it detects normal files as viruses, even though they aren't. Bit of a pain.

Precisely...trying to explain to my IT guy that the file IS NOT a virus is a mission and a half.

"The computer says it is so it must be"...He's one of them type of guys! :(

DMS

A thirsty 172
Sophos is better for a business environment IMO.
It's a very good piece of AV software on its own but with the Enterprise Management Console it really is very easy to manage your deployments and policies.
The enterprise version of Sophos includes application control. If this is set up correctly you'll probably find that legitimate files are never detected as virii.

Fiesta ST
Here is a reply from Sophos Tech Support when I had sophos login issues with my DC filling my event logs:

--------------------------------------------------
Hello darren,

We are aware of this issue and this will be resolve in the update to SUM due march 2010.

Regards,

Michelle Connor
Sophos Technical Support

www.sophos.com/support/
SOPHOS - simply secure

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 11-Dec-2009 09:29 AM
To: support@sophos.com,
Cc:
The following file(s) was submitted on:
Fri Dec 11 09:29:32 2009
________________________________________________________________________________

type_of_communication: incident
name: Darren
company: *****
emailaddress: darren@*****.co.uk
incident_type: Software Question
license_serial_number: 69
product: Sophos Anti-Virus for Windows 2000/XP/2003
product_version: 26213
product_version_text: 9.0.0
os_version: 25274
os_version_text:
description: Hi

I'm getting a lot of security errors from SophosUpdateMgr in my event logs.

Event:

Source: Security
Category: Logon/Logoff
Type: Failure Aud
Event ID: 534
User: NT Authority\System
Computer: BTCSVR2 (our sophos server)

Logon Failure:

Reason: The user has not been granted the requested
logon type at this machine
User Name: SophosUpdateMgr
Domain: *****meat
Logon Type: 5
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: BTCSVR2
Caller User Name: BTCSVR2$
Caller Domain: *****meat
Caller Logon ID: (0x0,0x3E7)
Caller Process ID: 2652
Transited Services: -
Source Network Address: -
Source Port: -

Thoughts?

________________________________________________________________________________

*Edited slightly.

Helpful! Still recommend the product though.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Sophos fixed my problem with a SafeGuard upgrade in about an hour today :)

Lol, any decent company would disable all usb's for normal users anyway, there's no need for them to use them normally. They are used to get photos on their pc etc, not work related stuf. And it's very likely they could brig a virus in from home, so you would be mad these days to not disable them.

Depends on the setup, running code from unauthorised locations is restricted and non encrypted usb devices are set to read only at our place amongst other controls in place.

So data can't get out on them (biggest reason for it) and malicious stuff can't run because it just won't work. Only company issued encrypted devices are writeable.

In our business there's a need for external devices to be read from so we can't just disable them.

ph 2, 172.
sophos is goood for big networks everyone i know reccomends it

never used kaspersky

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Forgot to say Sophos was also recommended to me by a chap who is awesome in the field of it security :p Does work for Nato, NSA etc.

Rav4
In the end, I went for Kaspersky as it worked out about 20% cheaper.

Will give it a go and see how we get on.

Also, I have found that it's less resource intensive, which is good as most machines are pants.

We will see.