ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Kangarooing - worse when cold

Been trying to sort this out for aaaages now, i'm buying a CTS for it tomorrow, and i've also tested the MAP sensor which is fine.

Basically at low revs when holiding on the throttle (worse in 1st gear) it will kangaroo bad at certain intervals! It does it when the revs are around 1000-1500. It's far worse when cold as well.

I'd change the lambda next but that has no effect when cold does it? Could it be coilpack or leads? Just odd that it's worse when cold.. The spark plugs are new too (the oem ones) It's a 2002 172.

Thanks.

LY V6 with Recaros
My 182 used to to this all the time when it was cold, and when I changed to BP Ultimate it never did it again!

Golf
Mine does it first thing in the morning when cold, a just let it warm up before a leave lol

Well it still does it when warm, just not as violent as when its cold.

What are the symptoms of a dodgy coilpack and leads? Also how much am I looking at?

thanks.

Well it still does it when warm, just not as violent as when its cold.

What are the symptoms of a dodgy coilpack and leads? Also how much am I looking at?

thanks.

Coilpack £60ish

best way to tell a faulty coil pack is to unplug he leads and listen for when the engine sounds ok but in this case its a common problem the coil pakcs and there all one

check yout temperature sensor and spark plugs

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This morning i've just changed;

coilpack,
leads,
lambda

and it's still doing it!!

i've not got around to the CTS yet, what else do you rekon? I'm going to try and swap a tb with my mate to rule that out.

Heres another vid of it, gets to about 1100rpm and kangaroos before settling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIcotbOe6s

340i
Mine does exactly the same thing...

Ive had new coilpack, leads, plugs and lambda sensor!

apparently its to do with the cars mapping and cannot be corrected?

Mine is terrible when cold aswell, really jerky!!!

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
I used to have this problem, but for some reason it doens't do it anymore and from hearing what people say that it's worse when cold my car has been fine and i've had 3 degree mornins.

no way can that be normal, that was on a warm engine that vid aswell!

My mates cup doesn't do it, it's really smooth.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Mine does it when cold, but not when warm - that's a new one for me. I've found the kangarooing is much less obvious when running on VPower as opposed to cheap 95RON, so maybe give that a go?

Also, might be worth getting the car remapped to see if that smooths out any power delivery? Quite an expensive 'test' though.

Nissan 350z
Cheapest solution and something i would try as a first step would be to change the oil. And when i say change the oil i mean to something decent not just the cheapest you can find.

Sounds to me like when your engine warms up (oil warms up and is flowing better) the problem seems to get better. If you change to some decent oil this wont take as long to happen and might help.

Give it a shot :)

Hi, the map i'm using is a fastchip one, but it was doing it before too, iirc. I only put V-Power in it aswell.

The oil is fully synthetic and is about 2k miles old, It definately seems like a sensor issue to me though.

Renault clio 1.4 16v
could try to take it to renault and get it re-programed could be a softwear fault and they will have the latest version sounds like flat spots to me

Hi chaps, its sorted!

You were right it was my map :( I'm gutted because I liked the RSTuner map but I couldn't live with that. I bought a CTS today as well before I changed the map back DOH!

The original map I put back on was 6500 software version and the original cal. I can't believe I didn't try this before.

I'm going to drop Henk and email to see if he might know what the issue is.

cheers all.

Iceberg 172
Interesting - presumably you had a different problem to me and the others who have this only when cold on a standard setup then.

Mine started doing it earlier this year from cold, but it only lasts a couple of hundred yards till it clears. Contrary to comments above, I wonder if mine started AFTER I switched from BP Ultimate to VPower! :S

RS RIP
mine does it..

When drivin away cold ; watch the watertemp cauge.. as soon as this goes up the first time, which is usually only a mile or so, the problem/juddering/holding back- goes away. Therefore it can be a watertemp sensor problem i think. The car hits a limiter when driving cold, been mentioned lots of times before.

RS RIP
and yes, Henk will be able to do something about the cold start limiter, deleting it totally.

unless there is a watertemp sensor problem i think this will work

Ph1
Nothing to do with this RS Tuner , but i had a similer problem years ago and it turned out to be a dodgy map sensor wire. Car would shake and violently kangaroo.

Would also cut out

Mine did it warm and cold, it's just much worse when cold. I also bought a new CTS today before I changed the map back and it did nothing.

I also tried loads of petrol and it was all the same. It was 100% the map as it's a different car to drive now, so smooth :D I went back to software version 6500 btw.

I also checked the map and it was ok, I originally thought it was that too!

There is a good chance you replaced a faulty component and all that needed to be done is erase the fuel trim learning. Which happens when you reprogram the ECU.

Subaru Impreza P1
Before you get a remap or anything try and rest your ECU by unpluging it over night then plug it in in the morning then go for a blast for 20 mins. This helped with my poor MPG

Hi Chaps,

Just been and put the RSTuner back on with the cal (from the website) and it started to kangaroo straight away, drove it about a bit and it was still the same :( Why does it have to be my car that has issues with the RSTuner :(

I then did a PA run with the RST map and my default map, and you can see it performs better lower down the rev range (you can feel it) just gutted my car doesn't agree with it!

PS- The runs were done 30 mins apart (while I swapped maps) and it was in the same conditions and the same bit of road. 3rd gear @ 2000RPM start.

Run 1 is the original map, 2 is the RST.

compareto0.jpg

M235i / 172
Ive got the same problem with mine, worse when cold like youve said. Mine kangaroos most about 1700 rpm when on very little or no throttle. I also e-mailed henk about this. Im running the rstuner grpn map and ron98 cal and its very bad with this on.... when standard maps back on there is still a tiny tiny missfire in the same place but you would never notice it unless you was looking for it like i have been. Not sure what to change first tbh... but ive loaded the rs map back on because the car feels sooo much better with it on, ive just learnt to drive 'around' it lol. Any more ideas on what to change first? Dont wanna waste too much money.

Exactly the same!! I also have a flamer btw :D

Yeah occasionally you notice a little misfire when the revs settle, but usually it's smooth with the standard map. Like you say it's because I look for it.

It's far more noticeable with the gpN map on, but the RST map is much nicer when driving faster, it's just when you get stuck in traffic and start kangarooing it's a nightmare!!

I'm not sure what you could change but i've changed;

lambda
MAP
TB
Coilpack
Plugs
Leads
CTS

and it's still the same..

My mods are;

full stainless inc decat
PFTE gaskets
Cotton filter

not sure what else it could be really..

Nissan 350z
There seems to be alot of people with the same issue but no Remapping has been done to cause thiers. Could there perhaps be an overall sensor problem in common and the remap simply doesnt use said faulty sensor causing the problem to go away?

Ive got the same problem on my Clio, its only a 1.4 16v Ph1 so im puzzled by why it kangaroos so badly, its hardly a highly tuned peice of kit.

Ph1
There seems to be alot of people with the same issue but no Remapping has been done to cause thiers. Could there perhaps be an overall sensor problem in common and the remap simply doesnt use said faulty sensor causing the problem to go away?

Ive got the same problem on my Clio, its only a 1.4 16v Ph1 so im puzzled by why it kangaroos so badly, its hardly a highly tuned peice of kit.

Chances are its the map thats causing the RS Tuner folks problems although yeah, the same symptoms but different problem can happen on a stock car.

Iceberg 172
I found the solution to this!! Post on here. As soon as I did, it went away! :D

Could also have coincided with colder weather (?) and putting in the odd tank of non-VPower Shell unleaded....

Coil Pack has already been changed.

Henk has kindly sent me a new .cal for the RST so I will try this when I have time.

I only use VPower.