ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K&N induction cone vs. PH1 airbox

Has anyone actually compared the two? How did they feel?

I had a K&N fitted when I bought the car and it sounds mint tbh. I then fitted a BMC CDA and it's lost a lot of torque low down and feels really restrictive.

People say that a PH1/V6 airbox is the best option, would it be much different to the K&N?

I have read the Fastcar test btw.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Obviously on CS cone filters are nearly as bad as kiddy fiddling.

Ive got one on my cup at the moment. Sounds the nuts and cant really tell the difference.

Abarth 500 Esseesse
Mine had a K&N cone on it when I bought it. Sounded bloody mean!

It did pull a lot nicer from low down when I had my exhaust/decat/standard airbox fitted though.

I swapped back and forth a few times just for the noiZeZ y0 but every time I went back to the standard box it instantly felt better.

Has anyone got an open cone kit with a custom hose, with the cone sitting in the void behind the headlight? Or routed lower down? By the foglight?

When I was a wee noob, I had a GSR kit on my 100HP. And I hydrolocked it because I was a n0b head. I'd never make that mistake again :cry:

172 berg, Fabia VRS
I had an open cone filter right behind the headlight infront ov the battery and i coudnt feel a noticable gain in power tbh i also didnt get the initial sucking noise that you get from an open cone!! As the revs built it was alot louder but no noticable gain in power, could of been the pipe bend i was using or maybe positioning of the cone im not sure but i prefer standard airbox with itg panel filter with no CAF

inferno 182.
depends what your looking for really????
standard looks???? standard!!!!
k&n sounds great open so maybe lose 1 or 2 BHP!
v6 looks and sounds good and cold air?
ive gone maxogen for looks with the carbon and the sound!
better than the rest??? not really unless your looking for serious power!
you aint going to notice 2BHP oor 5llb of tourque driving round the roads!!
do away with the lot and get some jenveys or go to TDF and get some serious power and noise!!!
above all get some tourqe!

Just want decent power low-down and smooth torque across the rev range. Sound is a bonus but will be drowned out anyway by the Yozza.

Clio V6, M4 Comp, X5
Has anyone ever even tested the difference on a RR ?
I'll try and find the one they done on an Evo, which incidentally all use open cone filters when they are swapped and the results are surprising.

I had an open cone on once when have an RR run, the guys suggested a ph1 airbox and got one out and ran my car again. 4bhp and 7 or 8 lbft torque better off with the ph1 box with no pipes attached to it

standard paper one iirc. Also worth noting that every car I've seen on the rollers has a really jumpy afr. Not sure what that does to fuel economy

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I'm running a standard ph2 box with a standard filter and beat various 172's and 182's on the rollers the other week, only lost out by 1bhp to a guy running an ITG maxogen. I also fitted a v6 box with ITG filter bolted directly to the tb on my old car and made 0.5bhp more on the same rollers after previously running with a ph2 box on the same car, rofl.

So yeh, get a ph1/ph2 box to replace what you already have just don't run a forced air feed from your fog light, they are w**k, just feed in air from behind the light as per the standard box.

Clio 197
I'm running a standard ph2 box with a standard filter and beat various 172's and 182's on the rollers the other week, only lost out by 1bhp to a guy running an ITG maxogen. I also fitted a v6 box with ITG filter bolted directly to the tb on my old car and made 0.5bhp more on the same rollers after previously running with a ph2 box on the same car, rofl.

So yeh, get a ph1/ph2 box to replace what you already have just don't run a forced air feed from your fog light, they are w**k, just feed in air from behind the light as per the standard box.

So standard is best is what your saying ?

I had an open cone on mine for a while, switched back to the oe box and the car seemed happier - a little better throttle response - may be a placebo though.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
i had an open cone k&n on my old cup few years back, then reverted back to standard airbox with itg element. k&n sounded great but definately lost power, felt sluggish sometimes once the engine bay was hot especially in the summer. stick to standard airbox.

My 172 had an open cone on it when I bought it. Replaced it with a standard airbox and didnt notice a massive difference in sound / performance but did gain a nice increase in MPG.

Ended up buying a ph1 airbox. Had it on the rollers, made 183bhp at RS Tuning. Didn't test the K&N but I'm happy with that!

Renault Clio 182
I have just bought a 182 and it had a k&n cone filter On it.but it is s..t! Had a Clio 1.2 before, and had a k&n on it and wat a roar i was getting. Don't understand why it is better than my 182

How much did you buy it for if you dont mind me asking?

And what are the mods to your car? :)
£35 off here but brand new. They're only £40 from Renault. My car has a decatted Yozza on with R-Sport ECU. Paul at RS Tuning said it's a really strong engine though :)

There's that Fast car Test they did linked at the top of the section comparing them.

Edit Edit: Jesus, whats the Ph1 sound like?

Edit: James23, epic username, 5 better than me :p

The sound of it is drowned out by my Yozza! But, everyone said it sounds good. Just seems standard to me after owning a few cars with loud induction roar.

Edit: James23, epic username, 5 better than me :p

Lol I have thought that when I've seen your name in other threads! Most forums I go on my user name is James90 - dunno why I picked 23 on here.

The sound of it is drowned out by my Yozza! But, everyone said it sounds good. Just seems standard to me after owning a few cars with loud induction roar.

You must have had some loud cars!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The myth of the ph1 box being better was busted anyway. It increased the power by 1 or 2 bhp but lost more torque low down against the ph2 box. This was the same rollers, same day, same car.

Sure Jon won't mind me stealing these

Green is PH1 airbox and Red is PH2 airbox.

Comparison1.jpg

Comparison2.jpg

Last edited:
The ph1 box he had, had some crappy old filter in it that looked like it was made of metal lol, with a standard filter in I'm sure it would be less restrictive and flow a bit better... we should have tried mine in Jon's car ;)

It's much better than any aftermarket kit though, I can feel it.

Aye the Ph1 box had some unknow filter in it that looked old, and had one CAF Removed.
Ph2 Box had a genuine renault air filter in it that was practically brand new. Both CAF's attatched.

What filter have you got in yours jamie?

182, 6r GTi
Has anyone ever even tested the difference on a RR ?
I'll try and find the one they done on an Evo, which incidentally all use open cone filters when they are swapped and the results are surprising.

a turbo and a n/a car are not the same, totally different, so tests are irreverent

clio sport
i heard this topic all the time and air filter does not make much difference to be honest save up and buy a turbo kit or superchager which ca give u ferrari beating speeds.

i heard this topic all the time and air filter does not make much difference to be honest save up and buy a turbo kit or superchager which ca give u ferrari beating speeds.

FLOL. Best thing I've ever heard.

So we've gone from a £50 filter to £3k+ forced induction. You're a plank.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
my ph1 has standard airbox with both caf removed and a k&n element and it sounds superb and feels no different to the maxogen i had on before which imo was a waste of money.