ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just Purchased - advice needed :)

T89

Clio 172
Hi All
New here due to just purchasing a 172 for a track day car.
Its had some work done already, Blueprinted, Ported polished, Race cams, Remapped and is 198bhp on the rollers.
Hes had the front lowered also which were unsure about.

Just wanted some advice, we want the fastest and best handling pocket rocket we can get :)

What other performance related tweeks can be done and also what is best for suspension, they handle well naturally, coilovers? leave standard?

Any advice will be appreciated for our new adventure :D

Cheers :)

Best save up for a supercharger or turbo conversion if you want to be the fastest out there. But having said that, if you can't drive it fast all that power won't help you.

T89

Clio 172
Driving it isnt an issue before, got the experience, just looking to make the most of this vehicle really, specially with handling

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Plenty of build threads about. Too many options and differing opinions to give you a straight answer. If it's not a daily driver then sorting all the standard soft squishy joints that mess with the geometry is a good start. Check out the thread about bump steer corrector hubs. Other than that it's the usual thing, good quality coilovers, uprated brakes, camber adjustment, rear anti-roll bars or torsion axle mods, solid top mounts, cage, strut braces, shell strengthening, lighter components not in that order. The list goes on. The 172/182 heads are not the best flowing so for silly power N/A you need to do a fair bit of messing around and would need to look at 197/200 heads or maybe whole engines but I'm no expert. The turbo route is well covered and gives great gains even on the less well breathing head. Search function on this forum is poor but keep at and just about everything has been covered at some point. There are a few companies on here that do just about all the mods you could you need for a Clio but you need pretty deep pockets if your gonna take it that far :)

I personally run a completely boggo cup on road tyres and it performs track day duties perfectly well.

If you weren't looking for the fastest then the cup shocks with cooksport or eibach springs with camber adjustment bolts, Brembo HC discs with decent pads and some track day rubber with your power would produce a well sorted car that wouldn't be horrible to drive to events. White line anti-roll bar is a good shout if your used to smaller more lively French hatchback rear ends.

Last thing in my post but first on list should be a geo check to make sure everything is straight.

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Hi, welcome along!

Whilst not wanting to come across rude, I'll be very impressed if it is running 198bhp from the work it has had done. Which cams does it have in it, and who did the work, do you know?

As said, fastest way to significant pace is either Supercharger or Turbocharger but neither are cheap! These need to be balanced against the handling. From the mods you've said have been done, I'd be focusing on the suspension and geometry, decent braking and a limited slip diff. The Gripper limited slip diff I put in mine has been the best modification I have made for track work. Including the Supercharger!

Have you got any photos of the car? Plenty of project threads on here i'd read through to get a feel for what works best in a track focused car. Whilst I'm not saying mine is the best, fastest or perfectly set up car, but here is a link to mine in case it gives you some ideas. Every couple of pages I have updated the spec list to give you an idea of mods;

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/cubs-flamer-supercharged-cage-etc.612638/