ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just picked up, Scirocco R content

This one ^ (someday)
Dad just got his new car:

IMG_1035.jpgIMG_1036.jpgIMG_1033.jpg

Scirocco R

I tracked it down for him, Leicester Volkswagen (very good) happened to have almost exactly the spec we wanted for £4000 off list price with 15 miles on the clock and obviously no waiting time, as he didn't fancy the 5 month wait we were quoted by one dealer.

This is his fourth fast VW (150hp Beetle, Mk5 GTi, Mk6 GTD) and they have been getting better every time.
I was lucky enough to get to drive it back from Leicester and despite not being run in at all (so driving very timidly) you can tell it's something special.

Still getting used to the DSG 'box though.

He is already looking at getting it chipped to 300hp :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Tim

This one ^ (someday)
Yeah the absence of 4WD is a shame but i'm very sure it won't make any difference on public roads. He would of gone for a Golf R but having had 3 in a row he basically said he was bored of them.

Abarth 595
Looks very bland IMO. im sure it drives very nicely and has the interior will be nice no question.

This one ^ (someday)
I wouldn't say bland, it's white with LED running lights, 19in wheels and a body kit.
I agree its not a lamborghini but I almost like the slightly understated nature of it.

Plus, it has this amazing low hum from the exhaust.

Abarth 595
I wouldn't say bland, it's white with LED running lights, 19in wheels and a body kit.
I agree its not a lamborghini but I almost like the slightly understated nature of it.

Plus, it has this amazing low hum from the exhaust.

Only my opinion, you dont need to sell it to me.

This one ^ (someday)
The colour was a very tricky decision as the Scirocco looks so good in so many colours.

That nice deep blue is very nice, as is the black and white ones.
We test drove a black one and you're right it did look awesome.

kwak ZX9R+golf gttdi
i love the scirocco from the front and sides but not so much from the back end,thats one of the reasons id pick the golf.
but tbh id give my left knacker for either of them lol.

all these new cars,id be scared to death of stone chips and carpark dings ffs.itd give me nightmares:cry::banghead:

172 cup, Impreza P1
My mate just got a White golf r and I love it. Cant understand why the scirocco never came with 4wd if the golf did? Nice looking car though I must say!

You say the fast vw's are getting better every time. Mk6 gtd better than a mk5 gti as a performance hatchback?

This one ^ (someday)
My mate just got a White golf r and I love it. Cant understand why the scirocco never came with 4wd if the golf did? Nice looking car though I must say!

You say the fast vw's are getting better every time. Mk6 gtd better than a mk5 gti as a performance hatchback?

Yes the absence of 4WD puzzles me too, there must be a reason for it! We figured that we were bored of golfs and a scirocco would be a nice change and in 99% of normal driving situations FWD wouldn't make a difference, it has a very good front diff that limits almost all torque steer.

He did 25k miles a year when he had the GTD as he was doing a long commute every week (cornwall to southampton!) and it has served him perfectly. Very good motorway car with a torquey engine that gives lots of power at motorway speeds and did about 48mpg at 80mph which is pretty good.

I think the MK6 golf is a lot better than the MK5 so that's where most of the improvement lies.

As a performance hatchback a GTI will be better but the GTD makes a very good middle ground between economy and performance.

An orange one
Lovely! Would have to be green for me on the R, I remember autocar mag absolutely raving about these a while back!

This one ^ (someday)
It was £700 more to have it in any colour apart from White or Red and because the decision on colours was so close the money made the decision for us!
It's a shame this isn't the exact spec we wanted but it's pretty damn close.

Turbos.
If they were 4WD i would probably have gone for this instead of the Golf, but TBH i think white is too common these days.

182trophy & Williams
what is it with people buying white cars. They look sh!t, and every d!ckhead has one nowadays. Can't stand em......rant over!

^that no-one gives a f**k about, why would you come on a thread like this to give a pointless rant, tool.

car looks great mate, little bro has one, capable chassis they step under corner braking though and the bias is pap on them (maybe not the R though)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
It looks fantastic mate. Blue is obviously the nicest colour but White does look good.

How did you find the Dsg? I'm going to end up with a colour versus gearbox problem soon enough. Not enough Red V6 manual TT's around! :(

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
what is it with people buying white cars. They look sh!t, and every d!ckhead has one nowadays. Can't stand em......rant over!

Interesting analysis of the car.

This one ^ (someday)
It looks fantastic mate. Blue is obviously the nicest colour but White does look good.

How did you find the Dsg? I'm going to end up with a colour versus gearbox problem soon enough. Not enough Red V6 manual TT's around! :(

My dad had DSG on the MK5 golf and loved it but the GTD was manual.

I found it very good for normal driving, in straight auto mode it is very quick and smooth to change gears and keeps the car very low in the revs (ideal when you're running it in).
I must admit there were a few occasions where i wanted a little burst of throttle to get me into a gap in traffic and i jabbed the accelerator and nothing happened, i pressed it further and a bit too late it gave a sudden burst of power, not ideal.
Although, if you have the car in paddles mode it is very good and having it in sport auto means you can rev it much higher before it changes which rectifies the diving in to gaps problem.
I must say, I think it's a case of getting used to it and learning how to use it. Sounds stupid but i reckon there are little tricks to learn.

worth noting that all of this is based on the car nowhere near being run in, so I haven't had any chance to drive it 'properly' with the DSG.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Of course mate. Was more the Dsg impression. I'd have bought one by now if it wasn't for the Dsg issues later in life. Mechatronic something or other.

It has it's plus points. I'd just rather a manual.

This one ^ (someday)
Ahh yes you see this one is a company car (my dad owns the company so just puts it through that, much easier) so he will only own it within warranty so won't have to worry about DSG after the 3 years.

If I was buying one to own myself and was worried about it i'd definitely do manual.

I'm looking at getting myself a Mk5 GTI and am avoiding all the DSG ones!

And yes i've heard mechatronics are £1800 to do or something which is a vast amount of money

DB.

BMW 440i
I wanted DSG at first but it was typically an extra £1000 I couldn't justify at the time, I was glad afterwards after hearing about a few of the problems, but then some have trouble free motoring and love the DSG. Swings and roundabouts.

My dad is in love with his multitronic or whatever they call it in his Audi A4.

Disastra Coupe
Bland? Lol... Nah, it isn't. Nice cars. Had one try and play with me once whilst i was out on the bike, which was a bit silly of him lol. Pretty quick tbf though.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
What sort of DSG issues are you hearing about?

My Passat DSG is on 125k and still going strong.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member

Mechatronic units or something. I wouldn't say it's common... But it's expensive if it does go wrong.

I never really looked into it much as I wanted a V6 manual, that might change to get the right colour.

TTRS & V50
Ah sweet.

I picked up a green 58 plate 2.0 TSI GT version on Thursday and it was a hoot to drive. Such a good car, everything the MK5 Golf has, but better.

So an R must be even better !

53 Clio's & counting
I wanted DSG at first but it was typically an extra £1000 I couldn't justify at the time, I was glad afterwards after hearing about a few of the problems, but then some have trouble free motoring and love the DSG. Swings and roundabouts.

My dad is in love with his multitronic or whatever they call it in his Audi A4.

And yes i've heard mechatronics are £1800 to do or something which is a vast amount of money

To clear up a few myths:

The mechatronic unit is the DSG's brain, it looks like a big PC board thingy and fits directly inside the gearbox (but is accessable though an inspection plate)

To replace a mechatronic unit will cost around £1200 - the most of that being the Mechatronic unit, at around £1000 (it can vary slightly depending what car it is fitted in and what year)

There are a 3 main reasons why they fail:

1 - there was a small batch of faulty ones, but we picked most up under warranty years ago

2 & 3 - the main reasons are people not changing the oil enough or not using the correct oil.

The DSG boxes require the oil and filter changing every 40,000 miles - this is very important as the mechatronic unit bathes in the oil, and if it gets oil/the wrong oil is put in, then it can cause a lot of damage.

The amount of people who just put in normal ATF is shocking, and it will damage it.

If it was me, id be changing the oil and filter every 20,00 miles, as it will make sure it's kept in tip top - think of it in the same way our engines can go 12,000 miles between oil changes, but changing the oil at 6000 (like a lot do) will keep it that little bit healthier.

If treated well (correct oil and at least at the recommended 40k changes) then there is no reason why high mileages will cause issues - I drove a mk5 gti a few months ago on 135,000 miles and the DSG felt lovely and tight with no issues, where as the PAssat I drove last week was borderline undriveable.

A good way of testing a DSG box is when you pull off, don't pull off quick or normally, instead pull off very slow - so with the foot on the brake, put box into D, left off the brake and gently touch the throttle -a perfect DSG will pull off lovely, a good DSG will have a split second then pull off, but a bad DSG will not move for 1/2 - 1 second, then snatch harshly and tend to kangaroo - unless you pull off very slowly you may not notice this as you will be expecting it to pull off quickly. (If a box is doing this then it will be the Mechatronic at fault, rather than the box itself)

A failing/damaged Mechatronic unit will usually give the following symptoms:

Slow to take up drive
snatching gears
not selecting certain gears

As per any other gearbox type, they can break or fail, but it's not common - I have replaced 1 box for an internal failure in the past 8 years.

Mechatronics can fail, but again not common, 99% of failures are down to neglect.

If the DSG box were to fail (Not just the mechatronic unit) then it is expensive - some DSG's can be £3500 +, but as said the actuall failure of the boxes is very rare - I mean for every one person that posts an issue on a forum, there will be 200,000 who are still fine

They are a good box, if I had to have an auto box then it would be a DSG (or Audi equivilent) and they suit trubocharged cars very well due to the change is so quick you don't have much turbo lag - they also suit the R32.

With diesels, I tihnk they suit the engine, but one big downfall is the boxes want to shift into 2nd very early, which if you are crossing around about it can leave you off boost, but knowing that will happen means you can 'drive around' that issue.

Hope that might help a little.

Last edited:

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks very much for that Russ. :) Definitely gives me a better understanding of the issues. Some of the sub 100k warranties might be a good idea even if it's just a contribution one. We'll see.