ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just how good are components

Hi all

I was just wondering if anybody could advise me on whether or not it would be worth replacing my Infinity 5.25" speakers up-front with a set of compenents. The sound that Ive got is pretty good but I was just wondering if, by fitting components up-front, I would get a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I mainly listen to rap and hip hop so I need speakers that will give me a good all round sound but will also need to provide the bass when needed. Ive currently got some Infinity 6953is in the back with a 12" Vibe sub, so the bass coming from the back of the car is perfect. Im just looking to improve the sound from up-front. I just need some qs answering:

1.) What brand should I go for? (price range 150-200 quid)

2.) Will I need a separate 2-channel amp to run them efficiently?

3.) If I need another small amp, will I need a deep cycle battery, as Im currently running everything off the standard battery?

4.) If I do need a separate amp, which would be the best to go for?

Any advice would be great guys/gals!

1995 Mondeo Speed Machine

I used to have the same Infinities up front as you have.I swaped them for some Rockford Fosgate components and the difference in sound quality was very noticeable. I would suggest that you should run them off an amp as you get a much better sound than running them off the head Unit.

Rick

Go for a Pioneer 2 chanel amp with some Rockford Fosgate components, Will sound excelent. The small amp wont take much extra power from your battery but if you did chose to use a deep cycle you would benefit in the long run :)

Components will give you more definition that coaxials so it would be a good plan to go for a set. Definately run them off an amp though..nothing too spectacular is needed as long as its capable of at least 2x60watts RMS. Have you ever heard a set of Audiobahn components? they sound similar to the infinities with a nice subtlety to them. Also theyll take 120watts RMS so if you wanted to get a bigger amp, they wouldnt blow. The ABC525Q aluminium coned ones are only £109.99 to Cliosport members.

With regards to the battery, you would have to put it on a splitcharge system and put it in the boot. The splitcharger isnt much but the batteries are quite expensive.they do the job though. At the moment we have a Yeloow Top on special offer at £139.99 if you want it. We also do full splitcharge kits with instructions etc. They are only £35 and are easy to fit. You could try running everything off the standard battery first and see how it goes or you could upgrade the battery to see if that makes a difference.

Hope that helps

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio (http://www.evilice.co.ukwww.evilice.co.uk)

Fitting components sounds expensive. You have the initital cost of the speakers, then the amp, then the aux battery, then the split charger, etc, etc. :confused:

How much should I budget for?

Start by just fittin the components, then work your way upto an amp, You shouldnt really need an auxiliary battery but if you do youll run fine on your standard one for a while.

Yeah i think you will probably be fine with the standard or upgraded engine battery. A splitcharge system is only really neeeded if theres a large increase in bass in the system as this is what draws all the power.

Russ

Ive read in Max Power (i know, i know) that components that cost up to £100 should perform fine if they are powered by the internal mosfet amp of the h/u. How true is this?

Also, with regard a separate amp, Ive got two qs:

1.) Even if the components had a relatively low power rating of, say 60w rms, would it still be advisable to run them off a small 2-channel amp?

2.) If so, where is the most ideal place to locate the amp?

Well, work on the basis that your Head Unit probably only puts out around 25-30W RMS, so even with a small amp your looking at a double in power. I would say that an amp with 60W RMS should be good enough for a set of components, but from my experience I normally go for an amp that is bigger than I think Ill need. That way if you upgrade your speakers at a later date and you need more power you dont have to get a new amp.

Rick

Where can I find Focals range of components on the Internet?

Ive just had a quick browse on www.caraudiodirect.com and have found the following set-up:

Components

Rockford Fosgate FNX2514 (70w rms) 140w peak

Titanium plated cones

Thermal plastic rubber surrounds

1" multilayered voice coils

Silk dome tweeter

£184.99

Amplifier

Rockford Fosgate Punch 200S 2x50w (4 ohm)

Low pass filter 80 Hz

High pass filter 120 Hz

Bass control (6-12 DB @ 45Hz)

or

Rockford Fosgate Punch 300S 2x75w rms

Variable high/low pass filters (50-210Hz)

Bass control (0-18 DB @ 45Hz)

Is the amp matched correctly to the speakers?

Should be quite a good setup. More than enough power for the components. Being a Rockford amp it will give more power than it says. We can do the amp for 169.99 and the components for £175 which is cheaper than Car Audio Direct.

Also have you considered the Audiobahn ABC5002Q 5.25" carbon fibre cone components. They retail at £265 but we could do a set for £184.99. They are 160watts RMS and the mounting depth is less than 2 inches...They woul be a better choice than the Rockfords in my opinion.

Im sure everyone in this forum would vouch for the quality of Audiobahn stuff.

Russ

http://www.evilice.co.ukwww.evilice.co.uk

Actually thinking about it..why not have the Rockford 500X 4 channel amp for an extra £5..much more power with roughly 650watts RMS in total..our price £175...limited stock only.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

I will only be using the amp to power the components so I wouldnt get the use out of a 4 channel amp. How much would you do the Infinity Kappa 50.5cs for? The cheapest Ive seen them for is £110.00 from bass junkies.

A 4 channel would let you run the rear speakers off it too. Also youll get double the power for £5 more, your decision though.

The Infinity 50.5cs components we can do for £95.99 but as somebody said in a previous post, Infinity arent really considered to be that good as a brand these days since all the new comapnies started arriving making better stuff for less money.

Russ

Id like to keep the same brand of speaker throughout the car so as to ensure a nicely balanced sound. As ive already mentioned, I already have a set of Infinity 6x9s and I am very pleased with the sound quality I get from them. So, Im looking for a set of components to complement them. I think that by sticking with the same brand will do this nicely.

Ok, fair enough. I see where youre coming from. Let me know if you want to go for a pair of infinities and ill sort them out for you.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. In-Car

Its fair enough saying that you understand where Im coming from but am I right or am I just talking crap about sticking with Infinity throughout?

Sorry i thought you had made up your mind to go for the Infinities. Theres no particular reason to stay with Infinity all round. If it was me i would go down the audiobahn route as they are better made and look nicer.

It doesnt matter whether you go for different makes but some people like to keep everything the same..which can be a good or bad thing depending on the brand.

Russ

Im not too sure on the new clios, It used to be easy on the old ones but i would have to look at one to check. I would think you should be able to get to them without taking the dash out. Does the top section come off on its own like the old clios?

You could always make some builds or reposition the tweeters somewhere else.

350z & 16v Maxi

If you go for a 4 channel amp you could bi-wire the components which will give you much better sound and better control of the sound stage.

350z & 16v Maxi

You can just get a hole cutter and mount the tweeter flush in the door or dash or something. The bit where the manual mirror ajustments would be looks quite good.

How tricky would it be to fit the tweeters in a 96 Clio RSi? Ive been told that the best place to have them is pointing up at the windscreen so the sound that is produced is bounced back right at you.

Its very easy to fit tweeters in the Phase 1 clios You can have them in the mirror housings, on the dash or in the original tweeter positions without too much work at all.

Russ

Message for evil ice

Do the infinity 505cses fit straight into the existing door pods? and how much are you doing them for?

Ben_1uk, It is best if you can put the tweeters on the dash pointing up to the windscreen so it reflects at about eye level, then you will get superb high frequencies.

I have only replaced the mids (JBL) in the doors in my rt and left the standard renault tweeters, I still have the JBL tweeters that I got with the mid but havent been arsed to mount them on the dash. But try to recess them in the dash otherwise they good crap.

Laner - i think i replied to an e-mail of yours on this one but if that wasnt you. They will fit straight into the doorcards of the Clio with no problems.

Russ

Which amp, out of the two, would you recommend to run the Infinity 505cs?

1.) Alpine,

2.) Rockford Fosgate, and...

Why?

That is...

The Rockford Fosgate Punch 200S 2x50w rms @ 4 ohms and 2x100w rms @ 2 ohms

or

The Alpine MRVT320 2x50w rms @ 4 ohms and 2x110w @ 2 ohms

The amp is going to power a set of Infinity 50.5cs (rated @ 2x85w rms)

Dont know about the Rockford, but that Alpine is a bloody good amp for the price.

I would say go for the Rockford every time as American stuff is always better than Korean stuff. Plus the Rockford will putout more than it says there and the Alpine wont.

We can do the Rockford 200S for £151.99 including delivery

The Alpine we do for £159.99 including delivery

So the Rockford is cheaper too

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

Could someone please explain the meaning behind the ohms ratings as I dont fully understand what is meant by 2x50w rms @ 4 ohms, etc. :oops: