ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just heard of a 172 - R5GTT turbo that made 670bhp yesterday is it on here?

172 Rally Car
Apparently a renault 5 gtt with a turbo 172 engine that made 670bhp! Is it anyone on here?

Last edited:
  172 Rally Car
I can confirm that it is really out there i had a good friend there who was also running, does sound epic!

670bhp in a FWD renault 5, probably weighs the same as a crisp packet? stupid if you ask me, impressive tho none the less.

Spooky

ClioSport Club Member
  R5 GTT
Yes it is true.

The owner is Chris Backshell aka Scoff. He has built a high spec turbo'd F4R capable of producing low 10sec sqms at traps of between 144-145mph.

His car is built to drag race in the Euro Sports Compact series @ Santa pod (ESC) - a championship open to european brand fast road cars.

Here is one of his most recent runs at his current level of tune - http://www.youtube.com/user/hi5tuning#p/u/4/DE5DfQpK2ag

Check out his company/website - http://www.efi-parts.co.uk/index.php?show_aux_page=8

One of the nicest blokes you'll ever meet and a genuine mechanical magician to boot. His previous work includes a 1.8T VAG'd R5 build and a rear wheel driven R5 too.

10 seconds is quick as f**k however it's a shame he can't seem to utilize all that power (if it is actually running 670bhp as quoted)

10 seconds is quick as f**k however it's a shame he can't seem to utilize all that power (if it is actually running 670bhp as quoted)
Chris will know what it really makes, he's not one to blindly quote rr figures. That's a 9 second car, it's not the engine (or Chris) stopping it doing 9s.

Oh, it's road legal, and he's not afraid of using it on the road, even long journeys.

R5 GTT
I watched Scoff's car @ pod on the RTOC day 1st july car was rapid 145mph traps and just over 10sec quarter's, sounded like a monster, controlling the boost on 1st & 2nd I think is the problem at the mo. Was awesome think both driveshafts snapped later in the day aswell and one of them welded it self to the diff. But he's back up and running again

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Ah but I have no interest in 4wd! I have an unhealthy obsession with FWD drag racing and its classes around the world. I sold my old Rear engined Renault 5 with RWD to go back to FWD. Yes, I'm weird like that. Sometimes it's about competing, not just going fast.

I'm glad you all like the F4R turbo. I love these engine's and there isnt much I havn't done or tried with them. With the right internals they're fantastically strong & reliable engines and with the right setup they can make more than enough power to keep most other things at bay.

Unfortunately it's my p1ss poor ability in the seat that holds me back usually. I can usually do a lot better at non-competion test days where there is no pressure. We have some of those comming up and I would like to take a couple tenths off the time and get a little closer to running a 9. Some new wastegates (the car now runs 2x 50mm external wastegates) and some new ECU software is in now running boost-by-gear combined with a measure of traction control which should hopefully mean I can set the car up so that it delivers exactly the right amount of power in each gear to avoid the frantic 1st and 2nd I get now. It seems the new gearbox lets me full throttle shift too, like the old Renault box did, so that's something else that will help shave a tenth.

Chris

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
How much work is involved getting the vag box to work with the F4R?

Iirc it's a case of having an adaptor plate made and suitable driveshafts. Not that big a job, but not cheap if you have to pay someone to do it.

I will stand corrected, wasn't sure if it was adaptor or bell housing. Bell housing is going to make it more expensive again.