ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just halfway through detailing and....

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I have a question. :p

I started on the bonnet, start with the menz ip and a polishing pad. Found i wasnt getting anywhere with it so moved up to the Sonus.

Ive finished the bonnet, not a swirl in sight, however when i wiped down i noticed extrememly fine long swirls, it looks like a long swoop of swirls where ive wiped off from the bonnett? Any ideas where im going wrong? Tried the Final finish on a polishing pad and its still the same?

Aside from that it all seems to be going well, could not believe my eyes how much the clay bar removed, when i clayed my saxo i didnt get on the whole bar what i managed to get of half the bonnett and it had been cleaned twice! :D Im absolutely knackered and one final question, with the IP how much product and how many passes would you all recommend? I did an "X" on the pad, split the bonnett down to quarters and used an "X" per quarter and just repeated until all the swirls were gone, is this the right/wrong process?

I'm taking loads of snaps so expect a thread soon. :D

Cheers.

106 GTi
Not sure on the long marks, I have some like that from the dealer prep when I purchased it could they have been there already?

Which version of the IP you using, the later versions after the initial priming with an X of product you will only need 3 or 4 small spots of product per area your working. It will have a long work time esp. at this time of year, it could easily take 5 mins to break the polish down in a small area. You will no when it is worked long enough as it will start to go translucent.

The original formula IP will start to dust when it is done.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
The lines turned out to be the residue left from me not wiping away properly, lol. I wiped it with my finger and it came away, thought it could just be grease filling the scratch giving the illusion it was gone so i tried a clean cloth, seems to have done the trick. :)

Well after my first ever attempt of detailing im reasonably pleased, made a couple of mistakes, mainly using far too much product and managing to lift the porter cable whilst still in motion, spraying polish everywhere and the pad flying away (lucky it was the velcro that hit the floor) after cleaning that up it was fine. :D

Only managed to get the bonnett, wings and front bumper done today (by done i mean corrected) but reasonably happy with the results, just wish i had a bit more room.

106 GTi
Worth having a bottle of Quick Detail Spray to wipe down the panels after for those tricky bits of residue.

I was doing mine today but my expensive Microfibre was still marring the paintwork bloody black clios!! What microfibre do you use on the baby which doesnt marr?

106 GTi
I am fussy as hell with MFs now after some scratched the paint on mine :(

Poorboys DMT Towels for Polish Removal
Micropack Ultra Plushes for QDing
Sonus Der Wunder Towels for Wax Removal.

The ones iv got are unbranded but they supposedly have got 300,000 strands PSI. Got them from CYC

If the big man recommends Poorboys DMT, where can you get then from? did have a look around but couldnt find them

Clio 182 FF/Cup Packs
I got some of the Sonus Der Wunder from Tim at CYC seemed to be totally swirl free on my paint.

I've also got some of his unbranded yellow ones, which i've yet to use, but if they're going to swirl my paint, they can go in the bin.

Anyone tried them ?

Also has anyone tried the Tesco car professional MF cloths?

Mito Sportiva 135
The Sonus towels I have are ok but nothing amazing IMO, don't think they really justify the higher price. Plus they are white so always look dirty!

106 GTi
I have the original orange ones, still got a few packs un-opened so no danger of having to try the white ones yet.

Thanks ill give them a go sometime in the near future.

Whites a good idea though surely will show the dirt so you dont wipe it over the paintwork?

I suppose once theyv been used though...

106 GTi
I have some white towels not adverse to them, I think the problem with the white Sonus ones will be when you use colour magic Dodo with them!

Mito Sportiva 135
Yeah. Might impress some girls perhaps?

"Hey honey, check out my microfibre collection...." I can see it working.

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
I have finished for the night, just about all the correction work has been finished now, all i need to do now is FF and SRP, EGP and wax. As for the megs polisher, cool peice of kit, ive read its ment to be easier to use than a typical porter cable so my sympathy for anyone who has one of them! Im not a fan of the handle, after about 4 hours use my hand has swollen quite badly and today ive had to wrap a mf cloth around the handle to make it easier to use.

106 GTi
I would have had that handle off, using the head of the polisher will give you much more control.

16v Dynamique
I have known people to take off the D-shaped handle and replace it with an angle grinder type one. Not sure on the type of thread of the G220, but i think the Bosch handles from machine mart are M14 I think.

Not sure if this would be any more comfortable for you but worth thinking about?

But as Rich said try with the handle off, or try putting your hand through the handle and holding the head that way, which is my personal preference.