ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just had gearbox changed and has a whine :s

SQ5
Just had my gearbox done and first gear kind of sound like reverse when it whines. All other gears sound fine.

Box was from a scrappy and it carries a 3 month warranty. I'm guessing its been sat for a while and may just be a little ceased, is this right?

Box is from a 172 Cup

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
ahhh what a bummer, box back off again, thats the problem with getting salvage parts

SQ5
The garage have obviously test driven it though and not said anything :s

NINE HUNDRED f**king QUID THIS HAS COST ME SO FAR

PH1 172 Sport
Get a reconditioned box off of yozza (they stocked some last time i checked) or somebody. You pay for what you get. Get it done properly next time otherwise it might end up costing you more again.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Well if it makes you feel any better I had a recon box from renault and it had to be replaced after less than 100 miles cos a bearing was fecked. Made a funny noise.

SQ5
Been out in car and it also rattles/vibrates like f**k at around 6-7k, turning right and letting off causes the whole NS suspension to feel liek its going to fall off!

Turns out RSB are MATT BLACK's breakers who I thought were meant to be quite a credible seller?

Even if I do get new box under the 3 month warranty I'm still going to have to pay teh f**king labour charges which I definitely think is not fair as was sold a "good" box!

If anyone can tell I'm f**king fuming as now will probably be without the car for another week and now nearly two months f**king wages!

Iceberg 172 Cup
Been out in car and it also rattles/vibrates like f**k at around 6-7k, turning right and letting off causes the whole NS suspension to feel liek its going to fall off!

Turns out RSB are MATT BLACK's breakers who I thought were meant to be quite a credible seller?

Even if I do get new box under the 3 month warranty I'm still going to have to pay teh f**king labour charges which I definitely think is not fair as was sold a "good" box!

If anyone can tell I'm f**king fuming as now will probably be without the car for another week and now nearly two months f**king wages!

i'd pass the charges onto whoever sold you it and if not threaten with court action, tribunal! baseball bat, watever.........

SQ5
MORE INFO!!!

It turns out as he sent me a cup gearbox instead of the one on the invoice which is a Ph1 box, that all the driveshafts are there for not the right type!

Can someone confirm that Ph1 shafts are different to Ph2? I now have the number of the guy that gave me the bow from MATT BLACK so I shall call him tomorrow, but I'm now over a grand out of pocket!

BMW M135i
Was under the impression they were the same as the track doesn't change hub/hub as the extra track on a cup is provided by the wheels. Only difference I can think of is cup shafts won't have abs rings. Nothing that would cause the box to whine anyway.

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
You need 15/58, which I think JC5-089. You probably got a JC5-129-130. Check the speedo output on the gearbox casing. (which by the way 10 % shorter than you originally got)

SQ5
Speedo works fine. I know the shafts don't effect the whine.

The knuckles on my Ph2 shaft wouldn't fit onto the Ph1 shaft so we just put the Ph2 shaft striaght in the Ph2 Gearbox. Then the Ph1 shaft now sounds like it is knocking and is a little bit loose in the box!

I think its all to do with size of knuckles that go into the box :s

Lionel Richie
when buying second hand boxes, ALWAYS have them stripped and rebuilt, ok it'll cost you £250 (give or take) but look what happens if you don't

it happened to me once on a customers car, he supplied a 2nd hand box and i suggested it be inspected before fitting, but he insisted, turned out the trilobe bearing had been smashed in a crash, dropped all its needle bearing inside the box and totalled that box

SQ5
it happened to me once on a customers car, he supplied a 2nd hand box and i suggested it be inspected before fitting, but he insisted, turned out the trilobe bearing had been smashed in a crash, dropped all its needle bearing inside the box and totalled that box

Thats what happened to my original box and it hadn't even been crashed.

Apart from the 1st gear thing now turns out the diff is fucked too causing the lumpy banging on right lock under no drive.

TWO f**king THINGS!

Rang the scrappy today and said they can strip it down and replace the bearing for free but will not cover costs as "thats what you get buying a second hand one"

I may just get the original box refurbed fullly possibly with an LSD and then fit that and sell the other gearbox on afterwards.

Can someone point me in the direction of somewhere that refurbs boxes for £250 as I have someone that will do it for £500, but is this a get what you pay for thing again?
Cheers

SQ5
Well, I'm gonna get the old box rebuilt definitely now and get it fitted.

Old box will be sent back to be rebuilt under warranty or they can give me a full refund inc postage which I think is quite reasonable TBF!

Lionel Richie
my man does all the boxes for my track cars etc, never had a problem

good luck chap, my number is 07769712624 if you need owt

Lionel Richie
my gearbox man does all the boxes for my track cars, never had a problem, he does all the ferraris for us too

good luck chap, give me a call if you need owt 07769712624

Clio 172 sport
Mate i feel for you.. I have just had my gearbox and thankfully it is so much better.. Its a heck of a job, i only got charged £180 labour though

Clio 172 Cup
sorry to hear about this mate, was what i was worried about when i changed mine.

i bit the bullet and got the garage to fit a reconditioned box and new clutch with 12month/12,000 warranty.

hope you get this sorted mate

tom

SQ5
Nevermind :( Garage got the arse into gear and will be ready for me and fitted before next weekend! Good turnover IMO!

The breakers will not give me a full refund despite sending me a faulty gearbox, I'm sure there is something trading standards wise involved in this. My boss has said to contact my credit card company to try and retract the money and they can sort it out. If anyoneknows about any of these and the right lines to do it please contact me. Many thanks