ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just had a wierd problem with the revs!

172 MoNaCo.....
ok to start off my temp needle has been bouncing for around a week or so now,iv been told its either the thermostat or temp sencor,but today i started the car to reverse out the drive and noticed the revs were climbing,as i went to put it in 1st gear i noticed i could not rev it but it was revving high.a light came on the dash (the one with the up and down lines like a heartrate) sorry if that doesnt make any sence lol .

so any help would be great???
thanks
liam.

A shiny black one.
My 182 did this after about six months of ownership. It started with the bouncy temp needle, then the revs would climb and stick and sometimes the engine would flood and cut out. A new temp sensor solved all the above problems on my car.

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Definitely temp sensor I'd say. Mine did this and Renault replaced it under warranty.

BMW 118d
sounds like faulty coolant temp sensor, sounds like its gone open circuit and into limp home mode thats why you had no throttle. had a similar fault with mine where you would be driving along at normal operating temp and the temp needle would drop off to about 1 bar effectively bringing the engine into cold start, i replaced the CTS sensor and loom and its been fine ever since.

hope this helps.

172 MoNaCo.....
ok so a "temp sensor" is a coolant temp sensor yeh?sorry to sound dull,have no idea about engines! got the car booked in next friday so need to find the part, so any help would be great! also a picture of what it looks like please?
thanks!

BMW 118d
its called an Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (CTS) for tech terms. it looks like one of these.

n:ANd9GcQesNgZ1jMEF0WZpVgept-lhcLSXAlxmkUs9If9Coc0d6B0Bis&t=1&usg=__YV8DJGCQvwygA3LTc1cJu7wt_s8=.jpg

BMW 118d
these engines also suffer with faulty terminal connections at the coolant temperature sensor also but im sure whats wrong will be confirmed on friday.

hope this helps