ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

just had a rolling road-figures down?

Clio 172
Just had a rolling road done and got less than i expected with a dip in the torque aswell between 4.5k and 5.5k and 2 peaks at 4.5k and 5.5k. Anyone else got the same mods/figures?!

clio 172
full cat back s/s exhaust
decat
air filter
group n ecu remap

rolling road: 163bhp @ 6531rpm, 145lbft @ 5624rpm

any help/advice much appriciated
thanks

BMW E46 330i Touring
Rolling roads are generally only reliable for 'before and after' figures mate, the actual readings are often pretty unreliable. Also, Renault's power figures for the 172ps engine are also pretty unreliable!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Renault's figures are for power at the flywheel.

Chassis dynos measure power at the wheels.

Any chassis dyno that quotes power and torque figures that are anywhere near Renault's figures is simply lying. Its inflating the numbers to stroke the egos of its customers.

The dyno mine was done on says my car produces about 120 bhp. That's an honest figure. And that's in a car that does 15.0 quarter miles with a fat driver. So there's nothing wrong with its power.

The trouble with dynos is you can't compare what one dyno gets with another because customers like you complain they're "only" getting 163 bhp after they've modified a car the manufacturer says produces 171 bhp, so they come up with these phone baloney pretexts for inflating their numbers. You can only compare before and after on the same dyno. Dyno the car before and after its modified.

The dyno graph for my car shows a dip about there too. And the dip was actually larger with the Viper system on it than the standard air cleaner. After I saw how little difference the Viper made, compared to how much noisier it was, I went back to the standard air filter.

2005 Nissan Navara
Renaults figures are indeed at the fly...and his figure is an estimated flywheel figure.

All Renaults are down on factory figures...some more than others. Youve just got to live with it and not get upset when u go on the dyno!

cup 182 mit stripes
GordonD's clio seems a bit down on power. Did'nt Fred or someone say they usually saw 140-145bhp at the wheels?

Clio 172
cheers for the comments, i know factory figures mean crap but i would expect 164bhp on a standard 172 with no mods?!

cup 182 mit stripes
Save up all your spare cash and put the motor in the capable hands of BenR for his new hi-torque cams.

He might even throw in a manifold job.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
im sure people on here with standard 172's have got a avg of 166bhp, but as said before if your happy with the peformance on road u shoundnt worry.

Clio 172
heres the torque graph:
dscf0790.html

http://public.fotki.com/jmsonline/clio/dscf0790.html

done in northampton

Last edited:

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Neither does terminal speed lol!

terminal speed has a direct relevance to the power the car produces. terminal times can go up and down quite a bit due to traction and such like. have a proper look into it get 2 diff cars with rufley the same power and ull get rufley the same terminal speed one can be rwd and one fwd, the rwd might get a quicker time but the speeds will be very close

2005 Nissan Navara
There may be a vague, in-direct relationship...but its not close enough to be used as a quantifiable measure.

Too many variables...gear ratio, drag, frontal area, etc etc etc to make it anything close to definate.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
There may be a vague, in-direct relationship...but its not close enough to be used as a quantifiable measure.

Too many variables...gear ratio, drag, frontal area, etc etc etc to make it anything close to definate.

Power to weight and quarter mile times usually compare pretty well.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Did you let the car cool down before it was rr'd - if not add 10hp onto those figures. A warm engine will suffer from power loss