ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just getting started

Ultra Red Megane 225
Just after some advice really. bought a Silverline variable speed rotary polisher (trade account from work so it was dirt cheap) and im looking to have a go at de-swirling the Cup. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what products to use? I've always done it by hand, using SRP and EGP most of the time and occasionally treating it to a coat of HD wax that I got given.

Megane R26
Lol, so very true!

Some of the advice on there at the moment is far from helpful!

Start with the guide, few points I'd add:

- Rotary can be a bugger to control at first, but using thin, cheap backing plates makes this far worse. Invest in decent backing plates (Gloss It or 3M)
- The larger the pad (and therefore surface area in contact with the paint), the harder the machine is to control, so start with 4" spot pads and work your way up to larger pads.
- A Rotary can generate a LOT of heat VERY quickly, ESPECIALLY on plastics. Spend time learning how to control the rotary using a finishing polish and pad, and keep the machine moving to minimise the risk of heat. Be especially cautious on plastics.
- You should never need to exceed 2000RPM on the machine.
- Always finish a set with refining at slower speeds, else you risk 'buffer trails' all over your paint

Anything else, feel free to ask.