ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just drove my first 1.2

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
yeah don't get me wrong i loved it, was great car, but was so slow.

ST
I'd have my old 1.2 16v dynamique over a 1.6 focus all day...

Unless its a focus RS you can ram it!!!!

I love the Rip3z!!

1.2 16v
Fastwunz what exactly was your purpose in starting this thread?? Bearing in mind that a fair percentage of cliosporters drive 1.2s what did you hope to achieve by slating the car?

What car do you actually own? If you let me know ill jump in one, drive it 10 minutes down the road, log on to a suitable website, and **** it off to people who actually own and know far more about the car.

Oh yeah i have to agree, air conditioning is just oh so essential in september, in fact i just couldnt drive a car that didnt have it as standard :S

1.2 16v clio
this is comin from sum1 who by the sounds doesnt actually ave their own car i fink its comedy like at college sum people take the piss but yet they drive their daddys cars its not the same is it. end of the day it says my name on the reigstration docs so im a appy chappy ;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT
DrRollo said:
What you mean?

He means the guys who dont own cars are slating the 1.2 clios mate
and corsa's are shite, I drove one before buying the clio and in terms of go the 1.2 16v corsa and 1.2 16v clio are practically the same, its just that the clio doesn't say SXi so its not as fast right? :D like it

M2 Competition
_Kenny_ said:
^ I've just had my AC fixed, and on a day like today it was definitely needed sir!

Theres a difference between the word want and the word need young kenny!

I drove without a/c today and im still alive! Had the window open a bit, all that fresh air's good for you ya know!

Omg, one of my neighbours has bought a modus! It looks like a frog!

Will exchange pics for man hugs...

Vee dub
lol!

I had a mk1 clio 1.2 8v before the YOJ, I loved it! :eek:

Used to alternate between the two quite often lol

172 mk2 Iceberg
I had a 1.2 for a while and thought it was great around town......
even took it on a 800 mile drive one weekend,,,
well happy for 5.5k not bad at all
but it didnt have AC
what a c**k

MK2 Audi TT - 2.0T dsg.
Mmm my first car that I drove was my ladies 1.2 8V clio. I rather liked it :(
course, I love my 182 :D

I like the 1.2 16V cars there fun hammer them to the limiter and you won't be doing the same speed as a 172 but least if the police pop out of the hedges you won't get a load of points on your licence.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Kneel said:
He means the guys who dont own cars are slating the 1.2 clios mate
and corsa's are sh*te, I drove one before buying the clio and in terms of go the 1.2 16v corsa and 1.2 16v clio are practically the same, its just that the clio doesn't say SXi so its not as fast right? :D like it
Well i had my Corsa for a year, but soon after i sold it took a clio on a 700ish mile trip to the lakes, the car it's self was great, but was so much slower than my corsa, I'd say corsa and clio are about the same in terms of everything else.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
all ive got to say are clios are awesome!

if you own and drive one day in and dayout then you would understand...

however different people have different tastes, but surely the last thing to do is go onto a forum mainly about clios, and then **** one off to all of the users, just seems like a stupid thing to do to me...
fair enough have your opinion, but its a clio forum, say it on a corsa forum...and close the door behind you...

www.renparts.co.uk
fastwunz said:
too right mate - it was like a fookin oven - was pretty surprised it didnt ahve a/c tbh - considering it had leccy windows, alloys and CD player.

why were you suprised. Nearly all the popular small hatches come in this spec. A/C is still nearly always an option.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
pepsi69 said:
all ive got to say are clios are awesome!

if you own and drive one day in and dayout then you would understand...

however different people have different tastes, but surely the last thing to do is go onto a forum mainly about clios, and then **** one off to all of the users, just seems like a stupid thing to do to me...
fair enough have your opinion, but its a clio forum, say it on a corsa forum...and close the door behind you...

I'm not dissing the clio at all, it was fastwunz, i just said my corsa felt faster, i'm on here cos i plan to buy a clio within the next few weeks.

I don't see why the guy can't post an opinion. I had a 1.2 as courtesy car some months ago and it felt like I needed to pedal it. No offence, just fact. Slow wasn't the word. When I got my 182 back it felt like an F1 car in every way.

No offence to anyone, just basic facts.

Roy Munson said:
I don't see why the guy can't post an opinion. I had a 1.2 as courtesy car some months ago and it felt like I needed to pedal it. No offence, just fact. Slow wasn't the word. When I got my 182 back it felt like an F1 car in every way.

No offence to anyone, just basic facts.
Then again your used to a 182 power so its not realy fair I bet the F1 drivers get into the GT3 porches and think there slow.

When I passenger or drive 2.0 cars they never seem that quick I always want more after a few minutes.

edde said:
Then again your used to a 182 power so its not realy fair I bet the F1 drivers get into the GT3 porches and think there slow.

When I passenger or drive 2.0 cars they never seem that quick I always want more after a few minutes.

Of course, but it's still a a valid opinion :)

A Euro'd one...
Obviously if you drive a car with a bigger engine which has more poke and then you down size to a smaller car you are going to feel a difference. I have a 1.2 clio and its a fun little car and is nippy for what it is. Ive driven some quite powerful cars and jumping back into the Clio was horrible for a while but its easy to live with as a day to day run around and can still provide some fun. Its quicker than a lot of other 1.2s including the Corsas.

fastwunz said:
Oh, and lets not forget that you are the one driving a chaved up Valver look alike. No wonder you are sticking up for 1.2's.

ladies ladies ladies! a car is a car! dont argue about it! my baby 1.2 makes me happy it does its job plus it was in my price range! its all about personal prefernce and money does help!!!!

I'm stuck with my 1.2 for a while yet. Love it as it sticks to the road like it's on tracks, but do miss not having power as I used to ride a bike before I got the car.

Having sat in a type-r the other week, it's made me want a quicker car even more. Just a shame I can't get one!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
$torm Rider said:
Obviously if you drive a car with a bigger engine which has more poke and then you down size to a smaller car you are going to feel a difference. I have a 1.2 clio and its a fun little car and is nippy for what it is. Ive driven some quite powerful cars and jumping back into the Clio was horrible for a while but its easy to live with as a day to day run around and can still provide some fun. Its quicker than a lot of other 1.2s including the Corsas.

But a 1.2 corsa is quicker!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
ive driven a few 1.2s a couple have been crap infact the 54 plate one i had when i wrote off my 1st car was aweful so much so that i couldnt wait to go out n buy my next 205 lol but the one i drive now is great, better than the brand new pugs i drive everyday

Ad

MK2 FRS
DrRollo said:
Well i had my Corsa for a year, but soon after i sold it took a clio on a 700ish mile trip to the lakes, the car it's self was great, but was so much slower than my corsa, I'd say corsa and clio are about the same in terms of everything else.

Absolute rubbish. The 1.2 16v corsa and clio are identical pace wise. Driven both.

I also think people are dreaming to expect AC on a 1.2 this britain not the middle east. Any other 1.2s that spring to mind that have AC as standard.

What i will say is that the 1.2s dont half lossen up with the miles, a newish one will be tight as fook and will need to be broken in.

MINI JCW
Ad said:
Absolute rubbish. The 1.2 16v corsa and clio are identical pace wise. Driven both.

I also think people are dreaming to expect AC on a 1.2 this britain not the middle east. Any other 1.2s that spring to mind that have AC as standard.

What i will say is that the 1.2s dont half lossen up with the miles, a newish one will be tight as fook and will need to be broken in.

Was going to say the same the Clio 1.2 and Corsa SXI both have 75bhp engines so there will be nothing in it in terms of performance.

Very few supermini base models have air con, my mums 1.0l corsa did have air con as std but that was a special edition.

Octavia VRS
Peperami said:
Theres a difference between the word want and the word need young kenny!

I drove without a/c today and im still alive! Had the window open a bit, all that fresh air's good for you ya know!

Omg, one of my neighbours has bought a modus! It looks like a frog!

Will exchange pics for man hugs...

lol, Modus' rock my friend, tested one straight after a mk3 Clio at some Reanult open day and the difference was huge! Still deciding between a Modus and a 182 ;) lol

Before I had it I would have said AC is nothing to write home about but after driving around for 4 weeks without it I'm glad I've got it back. Even things like demisting windows in the morning is so much easier. Not a neccesity tho

Mustang, S13, AX GT
gazcaddy said:
Was going to say the same the Clio 1.2 and Corsa SXI both have 75bhp engines so there will be nothing in it in terms of performance.

Agreed, I drove them both back to back, no real difference in acceleration etc, but the clio was nicer and seemed nicer when turning the wheels. I then went and drove a 1.4 MG ZR which was pretty nice both ways.

A4 Avant & A3
i went from a pug 1.9 gti to a 1.2 16v dynamique clio & in my opinion, although it was slower, it was still a nice car to drive & i did enjoy owning it. While i had that i also drove 2 1.2 corsa's everyday at work (had them for 3 years) one was a 1.2 16v eleganace & was 'ok' it seemed about as quick as the clio, but the other 1.2 16v wasn't an 'elegance' not sure what it was but it had a real cheap interior (compared to the elegance & the clio) and for some reason it didn't seem to go as well??
One thing, both corsas clutch pedal rubers came off within weeks of having the car!!.. kept putting them back on but gave up after a few goes!
(both corsas did have AC, clio didn't - by the way)

overall i much much prefered the clio (my own opinion, after drive the corsas for 3 years & owning the clio for 1.5 years)

i then went on to drive my mrs old car (fiesta 1.4Si) and that was very sluggish compared to the 1.2 clio.. good lord, was soo glad to get the cup.