ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just driving home when....

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
On the M25 driving home, I'm in the centre lane minding my own when the traffic in the fast lane starts slowing up. A van pulls out in front of me from the fast lane without indicating so I take a bit of evasive action, avoid said van, curse a bit - not at the driver I'll add, then carry on.

Next thing I know White van man has come speeding up the slow lane, undertaken me and cut in front nearly wiping out my wing, then with no traffic ahead, slammed full on his brakes to a stop. Luckily I was only doing about 30/35mph( in the slow moving 50mph camera section)but there was so little room I couldn't brake in time and had a minor impact with his tow bar. He then sticks his head out the window, laughs, gives me a wa**er sign then drives off. The Golf that was behind me nearly smashed into the back of me and ended up sort of sideways across two lanes - he did well to avoid the collision. Luckily I've gotten away with paint scuffage and a ding in the bumper but it's going to need a respray - gets rid of the stone chips I guess. What a total c**t.

2.2 bar shed.
Seriously though, I'd be sat there going 'wtf just happened'.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
He did it on purpose - no question. There was nothing in front of him that would have caused him to brake. Plus the fact he laughed says it all. Got the reg and reported to the police - more to cover my own ass than anything else in case it kicks off. I'm fuming though. Aside from the fact I now need my bumper respraying someone could have gotten seriously hurt.

billabong...
that's sh1t, years ago I had a similar situation when I was driving along in a mini and was forced on the centre section of a dual carriage way. even made eye contact with the guy but he laughed and drove off!

a LOT of tools out there.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Thing is even though he slammed on his anchors for no good reason, in the eyes of the insurance company any claim would be my fault as I went into the back of him. I can't see it coming to that but you never know. I'm just glad it was at low speed!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Maybe he was pissed off because you were sat in the middle lane when the left (not slow) lane was empty?

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Maybe he was pissed off because you were sat in the middle lane when the left (not slow) lane was empty?

I wouldn't have said it was empty - probably about the same as the lane I was in but granted neither of them were as full as the fast lane. Trust me when he first pulled out there was no indication or warning which is why I had to swerve. Even if he was pissed at that it was a complete overreaction to the situation!

Ph1 Williams No: 112
People definitely try it on for insurance claims.

Down my local road some bell end decided to slam on his brakes in his land rover over and over trying to catch me out.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Driver is clearly a **** lol. Plenty about.

I wouldn't have said it was empty - probably about the same as the lane I was in but granted neither of them were as full as the fast lane. Trust me when he first pulled out there was no indication or warning which is why I had to swerve. Even if he was pissed at that it was a complete overreaction to the situation!

There is no "fast" lane.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
If you were in the centre lane and someone was able to undertake you, you were in the wrong lane.

Fair comment - should've known better than to post my tale of woe on CS looking for a bit of sympathy haha!

Fiesta ST-2
What an absolute c**t. What if you would have had kids in the back or something? Glad you're alright though, things could have been much worse 'ey?

F*king low life needs to be set on fire.

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
If you were in the centre lane and someone was able to undertake you, you were in the wrong lane.

Whilst I agree with the above, if he cut you up then slammed on, he is a C1.1NT

You should have dropped a cog, got in front and done the same, but got out and asked him what his beef was

Is this not some sort of scam people do try though?

Slam on the anchors and hope you hit them, then try to get money out of you to "fix their car out of insurance" then they drive off and do it to someone else down the road.

If you had hit him a bit harder, this is what would of happened imo.

Nissan 350z

+99 on this! RIGHT HERE! I f**king hate middle lane hoggers!
If your not overtaking anything in the lane to your left then move the hell over.

Yes he over reacted by slamming on his brakes but im sick of having to undertake on a daily basis as much as the Van driver clearly is!

+99 on this! RIGHT HERE! I f**king hate middle lane hoggers!
If your not overtaking anything in the lane to your left then move the hell over.

Yes he over reacted by slamming on his brakes but im sick of having to undertake on a daily basis as much as the Van driver clearly is!

tumblr_leb6rrT9jW1qcszy4.gif

If you are not overtaking gtf back in the inside lane.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly in my original post. This all happened in a 50mph zone at about 515pm and both the middle and slow lanes were cruising along at about 35 - maybe 40mph. For sure there was a large gap of say 7 or 8 car lengths to my left (before the first car in the slow lane if that makes any sense) and to the front and left of me in the slow lane more cars were cruising which I was slowly catching. Behind me was a black Golf and behind that more cars and the van, all pretty evenly spaced out. Nobody was pushing to overtake/undertake except the van driver who undertook several cars at a fair old pace. Could i have moved over? Probably. Hands up to that one.

To be honest the guy was out for trouble. Doing an emergency stop on a motorway, at a busy time then laughing about it before driving off....I don't know. That could have ended very badly.

Anyhow I reckon I can get away with a Dentmaster/Chips Away person coming to sort it so I'm just waiting on them for an estimate. Anybody had any experience with them?

Last edited:
Then you should have moved the f**k over TBH

iirc you dont need to move over to the slow lane if its not slower i.e if both lanes are going the same speed.

LOL at the people who would do the same back.. if he doesn't care about his van enough to risk being rear ended, then i doubt very much he will stop or give a s**t if he crashes into the back of you, and you will probs cry when he rear ends your car.

Nissan 350z
That's just b****cks. I hate middle lane hoggers as much as anyone but in the situation he describes being in the middle lane is perfectly reasonable and certainly doesn't warrant what happened to him.

Where in his description above does it make it perfectly reasonable exactly? All i read is:
"nothing in the left to me for 7 or 8 car lengths, big gap infront and behind"
Which to me translates as:
"i was crusing in the middle lane in my own world"

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
I'm not saying there was not space for me to move over as there was - like I said - hands up to that one. I'm not sure that was the reason that he was gunning for me. He initially pulled out in front of me, without indicating, which caused me to swerve when presumably he thought I was just going to stop - which I couldn't have done anyway. Im assuming that must have got his goat and after that all bets were off.

Nissan 350z
Dont loose sleep over it mate, people do stupid things when the red haze appears which i imagine is the case here. In his mind he was perfectly justified to take the law into his own hands. Just a bully really.

1.5dci
Is this not some sort of scam people do try though?

Slam on the anchors and hope you hit them, then try to get money out of you to "fix their car out of insurance" then they drive off and do it to someone else down the road.

If you had hit him a bit harder, this is what would of happened imo.

When I passed my test 4 years ago my instructor warned me about this as it was common on the roundabout on the dual carriageway outside collage, taking advantage of the traffic and inexperienced drivers to get insurance payouts on old broken cars, and what you've explained sounds just like it.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Dont loose sleep over it mate, people do stupid things when the red haze appears which i imagine is the case here. In his mind he was perfectly justified to take the law into his own hands. Just a bully really.

Cheers buddy. Still got to look on the bright side at least it was just a bit of chipped paint and a dig, and not a whole front end smashed in - or worse - a pile up!

With regards to the scamming thing I've just been round to the local bodyshop and got chatting to the chap in there. He says it's becoming more and more common. They even make out the cars full of people to claim extra whiplash injuries.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Can we have the other side of the story please?

A fair enough comment. All I will say is that the guy was driving like a madman and was out to cause an accident - he was very pleased with himself that he did.

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Can we have the other side of the story please?

A fair enough comment. All I will say is that the guy was driving like a madman and was out to cause an accident - he was very pleased with himself that he did.

That's just b****cks. I hate middle lane hoggers as much as anyone but in the situation he describes being in the middle lane is perfectly reasonable and certainly doesn't warrant what happened to him.

Agree with this. Middle lane drivers need to die though in general.

Agree with this. Middle lane drivers need to die though in general.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
If you was in the right lane it wouldn't have happened. Lesson learnt? Probably not.

And peopl going on about what if he had kids in the car? He didn't i'm sure the van driver could see that his does have windows.