ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just decided

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Exactly. One of the biggest attractions for me when i had my 1.2 clio was the free insurance it offered. Once you get that 1yrs ncb, then it becomes a bit better, or you have to wait till your 21.

Horses for courses...

Do what you like Joel, just trying to give you some advice. You can either listen to it or not, totally your choice - just don't be surprised if you get a lot of "I told you so's" if* the s**t hits the fan.

*note - "if."

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Yep I understand but i'm prepared to take that risk, I will get my own insurance policay when I am 21 if I do decide to get a 172

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
I personally would recomend a Mk2 Clio 1.4 16v. Because:

Insurance Group: 5
Tax Band: Low (its under 1500cc)

Bhp: 98 (Mine is 102)
0-60: 10.2 (Mine is around 9.8)

My goal was to top 100bhp and break 10 seconds.. which i have done, with a cat back exhaust and filter.

Black/Gold 182
davesrealgood said:
at your age if you had a cup you would put it half way up a tree before xmas. And then you would wanna claim. your excess wont seem so bad when you lose a £7000 on a car, or even worse end up paying a finance company for the next three years.

i think you should get a cup, the more people like you that get them, the more exclusive they become!! lol

Little bit over the top mate, you shouldn't just assume that he can't drive just because he's 19

to be fair, he comes across as immature - "i wont crash, i wont claim" etc etc. all bollox - he could crash it, he could be crashed into, and if its written off hes gonna let a £8k+ car go to waste? yeh right.

dk

911 GTS Cab
i was on my mums insurance when i first started driving but we did share the car, it was hers but i got to drive it whenever i wanted.

When i bought my first new car it was a fiesta 1.3 group 7 and i paid £900 with CIS and have always had my own insurance since.

TBH, you don't gain much these days by being a named driver as you have to bite the bullet at some point when you go for your first year on yhour own, no matter what age you are.

Best thing to do is own a lower insurance car for a few years to build up 3-4 years worth of NCB.

I personally think that at 18/19 you are not mature enough to drive something like a 172. (not you personally Joel, 18/19 year olds in general)

Oh and i have moved this to interior section as it is insurance related.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I've been on my own policy since 17, now got 3 years ncb.

Now insured on a mk2 Golf Gti for £793.

My mate's after a Fiesta ST but he decided to go on his mum's insurance for 3 years instead. His quote is £2k.

Think about it...

S2000
Have you tried bell insurance Joel? (www.bell.co.uk) Try putting in different details in terms of your date of birth so that you can see how much it will cost you once you have turned 19 (i'm not saying to lie about your DOB on your insurance though - just to see what the price will be in a few months). You will probably find your insurance will take a bigger drop in price once you have had your license for 1 or 2 (don't know when you passed your test) whole years that just when you turn 19.

At the moment I am getting quotes of £1700 to insure my car under my own name (turned 18 a couple of weeks ago) but by early december I will have had my license a year and it drops down to £700. As soon as I have had my license a year I intend to take out my own policy. I have even been given quotes of £1000 on a valver TPFT which is really tempting me.

With regards the whole under your parents name thing I agree with an awful lot of what has been said. I am currently under my mums name for insurance but that is only because the lowest quote I can get currently in my own name is £1700 which I simply can't afford. I know a lot of people will say that if I can't afford the insurance then I can't afford to run a car and if that's their view then fair enough but givent the choice of no car or going under my mums name I know which I would rather. I would say that with your situation Joel it probably isn't the case that you can't afford the insurance if you are spending £7000 on a car so I would say that you should get insurance in your own name. As for the whole NCB thing I have checked and on a quote for a valver if I had had a years NCB then my policy would only drop from £1000 to £950 so I don't think it really makes as big a difference as people make out if you only have 1 years NCD.

2004 1.2 Dynamique
Just tried to get a quote with bell donsrno1 and it said that they need more information and gave m a number to ring

Mini Cooper S sport
There is a reason why insurance costs a fortune for young drivers in high-powered cars, don't any of you who are prepared to defraud an insurance company even consider this for one moment?

An 18-year-old behind the wheel of a 2-litre hot hatch is a liability, plain and simple! You (meaning teenagers in general) don't have the experience, the brains or the maturity to drive one sensibly, you just *think* you do, which is why it's so dangerous.

Get some road sense with a smaller-engined car, insure it legally in your own name and have some patience. God some of you in this thread make me angry.

Racing Blue said:
There is a reason why insurance costs a fortune for young drivers in high-powered cars, don't any of you who are prepared to defraud an insurance company even consider this for one moment?

An 18-year-old behind the wheel of a 2-litre hot hatch is a liability, plain and simple! You (meaning teenagers in general) don't have the experience, the brains or the maturity to drive one sensibly, you just *think* you do, which is why it's so dangerous.

Get some road sense with a smaller-engined car, insure it legally in your own name and have some patience. God some of you in this thread make me angry.

To be fair a lot of drivers who aren't teenagers don't have the "brains or the maturity to drive one sensibly" or any car for that matter.

The dude who is paying off 50k of damages from a crash! Surely the other guys insurance company would have paid out. Fair enough he could have ended up loosing his car, a big fine and a criminal record but how did he end up owing 50k??

Mini Cooper S sport
disco said:
To be fair a lot of drivers who aren't teenagers don't have the "brains or the maturity to drive one sensibly" or any car for that matter.

That's very true, but that's where no claims comes in. Obviously the more years you have is at least some indication as to the likelihood of you binning your car.

disco said:
The dude who is paying off 50k of damages from a crash! Surely the other guys insurance company would have paid out. Fair enough he could have ended up loosing his car, a big fine and a criminal record but how did he end up owing 50k??

Cost of repairs, hire car, court costs, personal injury claim etc. He knew the risk and blagged it, the police turned up at the accident saw a 19 year old lad in a cosworth and alarm bells started ringing. They then started asking neighbours and employers who drove the car and obviously nobody wanting to lie to the police to cover his dumb ass. It got dragged through court his insurance was revoked he got a banned and ordered to pay out all costs to the 3rd party, legal, damage to vehicle and personal injury.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
When I was young I had a low powered car ... I insured it my name.
When I was a bit older I had a slightly more interesting car ... I insured it my name.
Once I was old enough (in the insurer's eyes) I started getting really interesting cars ... I insured them in my name.

Really isn't difficult ... if you can't insure or afford to insure a car in your own name then it's telling you something IMHO.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
I personally could afford to insure it in my own name.

I got offered insurance for free, so decided to take it, then start building up my no-claims once I have turned 21 (hoping the premiums will drop by then).

I think if there isn't a huge difference in price (50%?) then it's probably better to get your own policy. I guess there can be complications, especially if you accidentally crash into an expensive car.

S2000
JoelDee said:
Just tried to get a quote with bell donsrno1 and it said that they need more information and gave m a number to ring

I take it you put in some mods? If you put it as lowered more than 50mm for example they will tell you to phone them, but if it's less than 50mm they don't. Try a quote without any mods to give you an idea as they don't charge all that much for mods and it will give you a good idea of what they would charge you.

S2000
Dunno what the problem is then mate as I was able to get a quote even for a 172 (just checked fo interest) and it came out at about £1600

As father and son....
Theres no two ways about it, your just going the long way round to bleedin nowhere by not putting cars in your own name as a young driver. Youre not building up any no claims, insurance companies will recognise the fact that you haven't been doing so and the sting in the tail comes when you hit the magic 23 years of age and your insurance doesn't drop anywhere near as much as it would if you had been insuring your car in your own name. Be realistic, hang on to your car or something similar so you can afford the big boys toys and the relevant insurance at a later date.

I had my first car, a 1.1 saxo (dont hate me), drove it under my own name paying 900 quid or so fully comp for about a year and a half before i sold it and went to uni. 4 years down the road, I've graduated and feared starting from scratch on my insurance. At 23 im insured fully comp on a 1.2 Dynamique with the mods declared at £327. Im quite happy to sit on that car for two years, acquire further benefits for a clean insurance record (touch wood) and move on to a 172 or an S3. There really is no quick way round insurance companies, theyre run by people who enjoy stretching every penny out of people and if you honestly think you're cleverer than they are theyll eat you for breakfast

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
i feel slightly reluctant to post this, as some of you guys dont think i should have a fast car.

i will be 20 in a couple of months, and will be picking up a 182 on wednesday. Last saturday i paid 2200 quid for a group 16 car, with no noclaims bonus, on a 10 month bonus accelerator.

i know a lot of people will think im mad, but nobody knows me, nobody knows that i love cars so much, and love the car i have bought so much, i dont drink or smoke, i only really have a passion for cars, not that interested in football, its all about cars for me.

I know you may think being 19 i drive like a hooligan, but i dont, i drive sensibly and have completed the IAM qualification at 18 years of age to prove this.

i have had 1 crash which i was absolutely devistated about, but was not down to driving fast, basically i hit the back of some woman who stopped at a set of traffic lights after moving off, because she thought they were going to change, all while i was checking my offside. im not creating an excuse, it was my fault and i should have anticipated her to stop.

i am fully aware of the amazing capabilities of this car i am getting, but will not be using them until i know how to without rolling it into a field, i will be looking for some advanced driving days in the future which will teach me more about car control.

anyway thats my 2 pence, take it for what it is, just thought i would contribute.

Rob

Andy D said:
Really isn't difficult ... if you can't insure or afford to insure a car in your own name then it's telling you something IMHO.
and for those that aren't intelligent to work it out, i'll quote myself here
Bryan said:
if you can't afford to legally insure the car as wellas buy it, you can't fucking afford it

i think that's as clear as i can make things

as an idea of where i stand in relation to this

1st car, (conservative) 180bhp uno turbo, aged 17, 0ncb, 0 points, car parked on street, high crime area, alarm/immob

cost

£3000

insured under my own name and i'm so glad i did, saves me a fortune now, cost more in the 1st instance, but now i pay half of what everyone who has driven on their parents insurance pays

2.0 16v Ford Mondeo, £350 FC ;)

IMHO it's stupid if you don't take out a policy in your own name, not only are you running a (very high) risk, but also your parents will be liable for insurance fraud (fronting) which would make you easily their most popular son when they are paying back several £k to insurance companies and courts

don't be a mug all you life

i paid £1800 to insure my first car (1.1 fiesta), was involved in two accidents (not my fault) but carried on driving fiestas for 2 years, then a 306 1.4 (got 3 points with that), then my 306 DTurbo (which i still have) and at 21 i managed to insure my group 20 320bhp 3000GT Twin Turbo for the measily sum of.................£1100 Fully Comp!

it definatley pays to insure your own motors and wait until you are older!

yes it sucks cos you are part of a club where everyone seems to drive something faster than you, but thats life mate - someone will always have something bigger and better than you. And having been involved in two accidents, it make me much more aware of what is going on around me, and i treat all other drivers as unpredictable idiots. its safer that way.

good things come to those who wait.........

Black/Gold 182
I think the best option is to go from 21 under your own name, although I technically was a 2nd driver before cos it wasn't my car and I was at uni most of the time. Prices do drop ALOT at 21, now paying around 1k for a new 182 with 2yrs NCB.

Mini Cooper S sport
Rip3z said:
Is what a lot of people do.

Doesn't surprise me that you agree it's a good idea. :rolleyes:

Well, try not to crash Joel, and let's hope no-one drives into you.

It's great the way you ignore all the sensible advice, I don't know why you bothered asking in the first place.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
You know I'm getting sick of people takin a pop at me, already been in talks with the admins about it.

I'm allowed my own opinion, just like every1 else is, so sorry if they're not the same as yours.

Insurance companies will screw you anyway they can, I've been driving for 10 years now, not one accident. However I was a named driver for 5 years so never got any NCB, when I finally went with my own insurance I added the wife as a named driver, shes had two accidents since and as a result I've only got 1 years NCB left.

Basically they have punished us both. I lose my NCB, she has to declare the accidents. If I go on my owe I still have to declare those claims, insurance companys don't give a sh1t how I drive. I say Joel if you can get away with it good luck, if you get caught it tough.

Rip3z said:
You know I'm getting sick of people takin a pop at me, already been in talks with the admins about it.

I'm allowed my own opinion, just like every1 else is, so sorry if they're not the same as yours.
don't be sorry your opinion differs, be sorry when a useless driver crashes into your pride and joy and the insurance assessor decides you were in fact the main driver of the vehicle, not your parents

£££ is the only way to see sense, and i'm sorry, but being blacklisted on the insurance front for fraud and forking out big bucks for such an innocuous incident is not the way forward IMHO

Ad

MK2 FRS
Had my 172 from 20-22 no accidents in it, but i did insure it in my own name. Paid £1800 for first year. Still paying £1100 now with 4NCB so can understand the temptation.

There are loads of people I know who have been insured as named driver on their motor. Wouldnt doit personally.

No sure why the fella with the M5 (50k costs) wasnt paid out to from the insurers bureau that everyone pays into!!

adtmits said:
No sure why the fella with the M5 (50k costs) wasnt paid out to from the insurers bureau that everyone pays into!!
He probably was initially but like all insurance type things if they can recoup their loses from somewhere they will.

Valver Lookalike Mk1 Ph3
Bryan said:
don't be sorry your opinion differs, be sorry when a useless driver crashes into your pride and joy and the insurance assessor decides you were in fact the main driver of the vehicle, not your parents

If that happened I would only have myself to blame - my choice, my risks. I wouldnt whine about it.

If it doesnt happen then Im quids in.

Any1 else having a problem with apostrophes on this beta firefox?

S2000
Joel - when you said that on the quote with bell they said you would have to phone them was that with a quote under your name or your mums name?

If it was under your mums name try it uinder your own because I know that they normally ask you to phone them if you are putting a younger driver as a named driver on a fairly high performance car as they want to check that the named driver (you in this case) will only be an occasional user.

106 GTi
Racing Blue said:
Well, try not to crash Joel, and let's hope no-one drives into you.

It's great the way you ignore all the sensible advice, I don't know why you bothered asking in the first place.

More importantly please dont crash into any of us that are insured properly but end up getting smacked into by the likes of you who will be an un-insured driver due to you lies, and have to go through the headache of no payouts from you insurance company.

Racing Blue 182
I do agree with what people say, however,

I work for a big insurance company and work with policys that have been made void on a daily basis. I have never seen a policy been void for this reason, the only way we go about it is if the son/daughter who is the named driver is the owner and registered keeper, then we f**k them over

My car is insured under may dad, there are 4 people insured on it, All 4 of us drive it,it is registed and owned by my dad.

If your going to do it, make sure the policyholder is the owner and resistered keeper, you should be fine then.

I got this 182, and i do regret canceling a policy that was in my name, however i love my car and drive is sesibly.