ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just cleaned the throttle body!

172 SPORT PH2
Feck doesnt it make a difference? i mean, no lag, or nowt.. throttle response instant, better starting! god! anyone else think it mde a difference onces cleaned ?

172 SPORT PH2
yea i should of done a guide, really easy took me less then 30 mins , if that, but i was cleaning the whole of the body , like rich-6 said, 4 bolts, and one cable clip to undo, then its off! then all you need to do is give it a good clean! i used some HYCOTE Carb Cleaner, works soo well, blasted off all the oil and grime that was on it! and trust me, it makes a difference!

No, he means the carb cleaner blasted it all off. I did this on my 1.2 after it kept giving me electric warning lights and going into limp mode, sorted the problem.

1.2 16v clio sport
anybody got got a guide to cleaning a 1.2 16v one, i am not sure what i need to remove!!

172 SPORT PH2
No, he means the carb cleaner blasted it all off. I did this on my 1.2 after it kept giving me electric warning lights and going into limp mode, sorted the problem.

yea, really easy to do, ill see if i can get a guide up , damn knew i should of done it! ill prob clean it again! so ill put a guide up this time :clown:

1.2 16v clio sport
Thanks for the link JCC, I have the 1.2 16v but the only problem is that it doesnt excactly tell you how to do it!

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
yea, really easy to do, ill see if i can get a guide up , damn knew i should of done it! ill prob clean it again! so ill put a guide up this time :clown:

Am going to give this a whirl. Am hoping it'll sort the lumpiness and low idle on the 1.6. Can't hurt to try it on the 172 either. Cheers for posting about this fella;)

172 SPORT PH2
Am going to give this a whirl. Am hoping it'll sort the lumpiness and low idle on the 1.6. Can't hurt to try it on the 172 either. Cheers for posting about this fella;)

No worrys mate, hey it dont take an expert to do this ( Im not an expert) i just like to learn, yea give it ago mate, really is as simple as 1, 2 , 3

1 look / examine where the bolts are, (4 altogether) use a 10 mm spanner, with an extension for one of the bolts, its a bit tricky to get to

2 Remove the Throttle body

3 clean the throttle with your choce of cleaning solution, i used HYCOTE Carb Cleaner , Or you can use any other, another cheap one, but still does the trick is Carplan Carb Cleaner

* Also there is a rubber insert inside the throttle body, give that a clean aswell *

Thats it, its simple, or as Alexander off compare the meerkat.com - Simplessss ;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Thats it, its simple, or as Alexander off compare the meerkat.com - Simplessss ;)

Nice one mate, I'm changing my pads over tomoro so i'll see if I can get hold of some carb cleaner and give it a go. Was it just a solvent based cleaner yea?

you could use petrol; carb cleaner's sold in aerosols so that it can be sprayed into the carb whilst the engine's running - don't need to do that if you're taking the TB off and wiping it out:)

Titanium 182
WD40 & a rag works just fine.

You don't really need a guide to undo a sensor 4 bolts and a jubilee clip (1*2's)

But I'm sure there is a guide in the "Guides" section.

Za**** & Xr250R
WD40 & a rag works just fine.

You don't really need a guide to undo a sensor 4 bolts and a jubilee clip (1*2's)

But I'm sure there is a guide in the "Guides" section.

Do you soak throttle body in the cleaner/ wd40 or just spray a little on it ???

just need to wipe it out (shouldn't be that gummed up really) - TBs don't pass fuel (unlike carbs), so you don't want to get it too wet incase it interferes with the electronics/etc

you can actually buy TB cleaner

172 SPORT PH2
Nice one mate, I'm changing my pads over tomoro so i'll see if I can get hold of some carb cleaner and give it a go. Was it just a solvent based cleaner yea?

wow guys, people are making it out harder then it really is ! all i did was removed the throttle body, sprayed the inside of the throttle body, i put a rag inside the clip, where the sensore would conect into, then i sprayed it thourgly , cleaning it, wipeing it etc etc, put it back on, switched the swith into it, and no problems, and the car stared soooo much better...

truely, you dont need to worry about it, just do what you would normally do, im a trainee plumber, im not a mechanic, but like i said earlier, it doesnt take an expert to figure out how to do it.. lol

Post ya pics up mate if you feel a bit chuffed, i managed to clean the inside, to what a brand new stainless steel would look like, absouloutly spotless lol...

Just dont spray the carb cleaner inside the electric bit, where the cable would clip inside it, to work the throttle ...

Si

RS Clio 172
my car's done 57k miles and the TB barely had and dirt on it. cleaned it and it made little to no difference. strange tbh.

1.2 16v mate..
There's a couple of different 1.2 16v engines though, around 2004 they changed it to the type I have. May well have changed it again before that but I'm not entirely sure.

On my 1.2 it's the next thing you come to after taking off the airbox.

Za**** & Xr250R
I've cleaned my throttle body today with the Hycote carb cleaner and whilst my bmc was off i cleaned that aswell and all i can say is WOW my car feel's much better it run's smoother and pull's like a train again :D

This came out of the bmc lol

ABCD0010-12.jpg

Cheer's for the head's up

Last edited: