ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jobs worth doing while doing gearbox

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi folks, Gearbox on the cup will need changed soon, Are there any other jobs worth doing while it is being done too?

Cheers

330i. E30 Touring.
Clutch kit 100%.
Steering rack bushes if they've never been done.
Tie rods also if not been done.
Box oil.

Whole suspension can be apart in seconds from that state too, so if any is worn, get that swapped too

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Ace thanks, got brand new Renault shocks and Eibach springs on it so that's alright but itll be worth doing the other stuff to freshen everything up.

You could fit a new crank seal. The only time you have access to it is with the gearbox clutch and flywheel removed.

If you do, make sure you use new flywheel bolts when refitting and def fit a new clutch kit as previously stated.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Which clutch would be best, it's currently got a 'fast road clutch' according to the advert from when I bought it.

I've got some plans for either ITBs or turbo next year so would I be best of getting another uprated clutch now? If so which one?
Ta

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
I'd only do the clutch mate. I changed the crank seal on mine when I didn't have to and it actually created a leak lol. There a pain to get perfect, someone on here made a tool that Renault have iirc.

M2 Comp
There's so much you could do, it's hard to know where to draw a line...

The engine and gearbox mounts will have to come off anyway, so it's worth replacing them if you haven't already. Even just new OEM mounts will make a massive difference if your current mounts are a few years old.

As Budgie suggested, the rack bushes would be worth doing, too. They can be a bit awkward to change because access is so limited, but with the gearbox out of the way, it's going to take no time at all.

If you're planning to remove the gearbox by dropping the subframe, I'd definitely replace the ARB bushes. They're a real PITA when on the car, but with the subframe off, they can be done in literally 5-10 minutes.