ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JMS 182 Racecar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
  182cup & 172 racecar
At last,somebody going to race their car instead of just doing track days.Well done Tom for that at least.Be interesting to see how this feels at Brands,could this be another Clio in CSCC Tin Tops?mmmm more fun.

At last,somebody going to race their car instead of just doing track days.Well done Tom for that at least.Be interesting to see how this feels at Brands,could this be another Clio in CSCC Tin Tops?mmmm more fun.

Fingers crossed mate!

I'll wack a tasty update up later in the week when some more bits arrive.

BMW M5 & E36

I want to join :(

Good luck with this Tom.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Nice one Tom, Ill be keeping an eye on this for updates!

As a matter of interest (Off Topic) What will happen to JMS when your back at Uni?

Turbos.
At last,somebody going to race their car instead of just doing track days.

Or setting it up for track days and never actually doing them ;)

Looks like a good base... when you say you know the engine is strong, have you actually taken it apart and checked? After taking apart a lower mileage NSX engine (90k) to find all sorts wrong with it, i wouldn't risk anything by adopting rose tinted glasses.

Golf GTD Mk7
Nice little project mate. Good to see another fully fledged track car in the making. What did you pay for the trailor if you don't mind me asking?

182cup & 172 racecar
Or setting it up for track days and never actually doing them ;)

Looks like a good base... when you say you know the engine is strong, have you actually taken it apart and checked? After taking apart a lower mileage NSX engine (90k) to find all sorts wrong with it, i wouldn't risk anything by adopting rose tinted glasses.
T'is true Rob,our old track car engine was fine,put it in the race car and found out the crank shims had been floating about eveywhere.

Very good point, I mean strong in the proverbial sense that is makes good power & torque, has excellent compression and leakdown figures and uses very little oil.

If it dies I will build a new engine from the ground up.

As a matter of interest (Off Topic) What will happen to JMS when your back at Uni?

Nothing! I've been running JMS and attending a full time engineering degree for the last 2 years!

I've dedicated a corner of the workshop to the car so I can work on it over the next few weeks in the evenings, leaving it on the ramp as the work progresses. (Much to James dismay!)

7.JPG

3.JPG

Last nights jobs consisted of removing the entire braking system & ABS pump in preparation of the revised brake lines / master cylinder & bias valve.

The inlet manifold lies in wait:

4.JPG

I'm going to relocate the heater matrix in the scuttle panel cavity, removing the need for any thing under the dash at all. A simple roller type fan will the demist the window with the simple flick of a switch.

I'm also looking into routing the loom within the air vent cavity under the window so it is totally out of the way - that however may prompt issues with accessibility so we'll have to see.

8.JPG

Still going backwards build wise, once I have sorted the brake lines and the loom we can start fitting pretty bits back on :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Nice update, so what master cylinder are you going to be using? A Cup item or somthing else.

I was wandering if you could take a picture of all the parts you are going to use for this ABS delete. I am trying to find some more info so i can do it to mine over the winter.

More pictures the better :)

Nice update, so what master cylinder are you going to be using? A Cup item or somthing else.

I've been looking through the options, I suspect I may use the original mc & pedal box, and remake the entire braking system with a goodridge braid type replacement, possibly employing the cup load valve at the rear to get the correct amount of braking effort. I'll put piccies up as I go :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Bargain someone rang ne the other day about a ifor williams trailor in hillingdon for £500 i rang JMS but couldn,t get hold of them.

Nice to see the car has gone,I did the hard sell for you.Spain yo.

Last edited:
Had a productive evening tonight after the bookings were completed.

First priority is the engine & its prep. A couple of leaks from the cam cover, breather plate, and the sump have been getting increasingly worse so it was time to deal with them, fit a new cambelt & fit the aircon removal kit.

Inspection of the head revealed lovely clean journals with minimal scouring on either the cams, the head or the rocker cover.

20.jpg

New cam seals pressed into the head using the renault MOT tools (not guess-timated using a hammer!!) & then tiding up the bead of silicon around the head afterwards.

10.jpg

12.jpg

Timing kit back on with the first of the lightweight air con removal kit pulleys on & the complete kit on the bench.

14.jpg

13.jpg

Took the opportunity to pop on the powder coated thermostat components:

18.jpg

(sorry dark pic!)

Pop riveted & PU'd the bulkhead holes with some 2mm Stainless.

16.jpg

and last but not least, dropped a spanner on the original rad and managed to put a hole in one of the capillaries right in the middle- so need to order a new one in the morning :sleepy:

19.jpg

Last edited:
  Saab 93 Aero Wagon
It won't have cams i don't think. Tom isn't quite as power mad as James. As long as it weighs sod all and is well setup, tis all that matters.

because its the daftest tool ever! no need for it IMO

Your opinion is wrong ;)

Pulls the seal in nice and straight and to the correct depth, no valid reason not to use it if you ask me!!

Standard cams, for now. Power is not of concern at the moment, the primary objective is the driving character and my ability to master it!!

TrackCar & F30 330d
If you havnt allready bought a new one you an buy my old 182 rad, but have you not thought about buying the shorter rad that the Burpspeed boys use, the VAG rad, will be a tiny but lighter because of the smaller size and you might use less coolant so the car will be a little lighter there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.