ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

JL Audio XR series speakers

Clio 172 Ph2

Anyone got any of them? XR525-CXi to be exact!

Im just wondering how they compare to the likes of the MB Quart Premium range.

I was going for MB Quart in the rear to match the ones I already have up front (same crossovers - neater looking install !!!) but theyve changed the coaxial range now (different crossovers) just to annoy me!

Figured I might aswell give the JLs a bash if theyre any good.

350z & 16v Maxi

Do you want me to answer this???

Both are very good speakers, however personally i prefer the JL ones as MB can quite often be a bit harsh. JL has a better sound quality. IMHO

Take it you decided not to go for the JLs then?

Clio 172 Ph2

The amp has been ordered (450/4) but I thought Id hold off on the speakers to see if anyone else had actually tried a set of the JLs.

Im also hoping one of the online stores will get the new range of the MB Quart premiums in at some point soon so I can see how much they are!

Im tempted by the new 2003 model Alpine 9815 too.... :)

your mbs are not going to like the JL amp much a nice set of JL Fronts would be a perfect match,

hope u get your amp soon,

Tom

by the way i have a Jl 1000/1 and a 12" W7 for sale

350z & 16v Maxi

Richard Id say you should forget about rear speakers and go active in the front. You will notice a much bigger different and the 450/4 is perfect for going active!!!

350z & 16v Maxi

Sorry, basically each speak has its own channel.

What it means is rather than using passive crossovers like you get with your speakers where you run your tweeters and woofers off of one channel each, you filter the signal before it gets to the amp using an active crossover and use a separate channel for each tweeter and each woofer.

If you think about it, an amp is amplifying a full range signal to say 75watts then it his a passive crossover which cuts out some of the frequencies thus cutting out some of the power. If you put only the signal into the amp that your speaker can play then only that sound gets amplified and there is no wasted power.

On the 450/4 you would put high frequency sound into the 75watt channels and then mid range sound into 150watt channels and you would wire the tweeters up direct to the 75watt channels with no crossover between the amp and tweeter like now, and the woofers to the 150watt channels again with no crossover between the woofer and the amp.

Sounds so much better!!!

Clio 172 Ph2

so then I need some active crossovers too?

My MB Quart speaker crossovers actually have a high and low input on them. I wonder if that would be any better than just running one input into the lows? I could put the 150 channels into the low and the 75s into the high.

Almost a bi-wire thing I guess?!

So now the question is, do I do that, get the JLs for the rear as originally intended, or upgrade (?) the fronts to the XR JLs.

The XR fronts at £300 are £100 more than the MB quarts Ive got, but are they any better?! God Im gonna have a lot of audio stuff to sell!!!

Anyone want a AudioSystem F4-560 amp?! or some 5 1/4 MB Quart reference series components? Perhaps even a premium set?!

350z & 16v Maxi

It is basically bi-wiring. You can use the hi and low inputs on your MB crossovers but you will still be losing lots of power due to still cutting out frequencies after the amplification. You are much much better to do the crossover before the amplifier. If i were you i wouldnt put any speakers i the back, but it is up to you.

As for active crossovers, you only need one.

This is my setup below: Basically my CA2010Dpro sub amp is like your 500/1 and the CA470pro is like the 450/4, and swap the Polk stuff arround with JL.

http://www.dp-motorsport.co.uk/images/ICE.jpg

Clio 172 Ph2

Ah....so that is what the big Sony box was you got the other week! I remember seeing your post on it. Sweet!! ;)

I know what you mean about the rears...I do tend to fade to the front because the standard rears just cant cope and make it sound crappy. Thats why I wanted new ones and figured I might as well amp them. I do like a little rear fill though and so do my mates when theyre sitting in the back!

I think ill just get some anyway... if I dont like them, I can always flog them off to someone!

If my order isnt being delivered until next Thursday (amp is out of stock or something), can I get those co-axials added to it?

Shame it couldnt be with me tomorrow...im off work and would have loved to fit it all in!

350z & 16v Maxi

Yea thats what that Sony does plus loads more.

If you ran your fronts active you (driver and passenger) would have no need what-so-ever for rear fill unless you want to cater for your mates in the back.

Sorry about the amp not being in stock mate and it will not be a problem at all to add the co-axials.

Clio 172 Ph2

Yeah im too good to my mates....theyd only b**ch at me if they didnt have sound! It helps them forget the sub thumping in their backs :)

I guess I should probably email sales again then should I to get the speakers added? or can you just do it for me when youre next in work?

Cheers for your help btw, much appreciated :)

350z & 16v Maxi

Not a prob, just drop the sales addy a mail just to confirm you want them added buddy. Just keeps things straight.

Colin

PS Just out of curiosity what sub you running??

Revels Mum & Sister

Hi ya mate

I have the 525s In my valver they sound very good! Running them off a JL 400/4

But if you van afford it go for the Polks. Cause mate has some in his 106 Gti and they sound unreal!

Clio 172 Ph2

hey cool! you even remembered my head unit!

Ive got an mb quart pwd304 sub. Seems ok but then I have nothing to compare it to!

So you think I should run the jls off the head unit? I didnt think it would be powerful enough. Its 45wpc but thats peak I guess, so about 20 odd rms?

How much is that little black box thing between the hu and amp?

And how much are polk speakers? I guess theyre good because youve got some!

350z & 16v Maxi

Ive got it going on, what can i say!!!

Yea that sub is pretty good.

If you put too much power through the rears youll pull the sound stage back and your SQ will suffer and also youll not have 4 channels to run the fronts active.

Thats the active crossover and cant remember the exact price but retails about £290

The 6.5" polks retail at £499.99 and the 5" are £439.99!!!

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Get the JLS !!

iM A BIG FAN OF jl stuff so i am biased !!

Just recently got my W6 V2 and 500/1 amp to fitted and boy am i happy with it !! Just gotta move my rears to to front now and ditch the cross overs on my front componants !! The active cross over that i got from colin can then be set up !! Its fitted just need to wire it up !!

Job for saturday me thinks !!

Ps if you get the JLS AND YOU DONT LIKE EM !! iD PROBERLY TAKE EM OFF YA HANDS!!