ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jim's Black Ph2 172 (Just like everyone else's!)

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I then began the pointless task of weighing all the shite I'd taken out of it (as in interior trim, not just junk I was keeping in it)

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

Then Car Parts Santa turned up and emptied his sack all over my front room:

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0949.JPG

It was one of those glorious ex-display pallets that Rimstock used to do through their "It's not us honest" eBay store.

IMG_0951.JPG

IMG_0952.JPG

IMG_0953.JPG

These then got sent off for powdercoating to CAS Coatings in Bradford. That old £1 per 1" pricing rate. All 4 done in satin black. Not perfect, but pretty damn close.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
At my old place of work we had a "bring your racecar to work day"

IMG_0308.JPEG

Got the tyres mounted up, went for Federal 595RSRs, quote impressed.

Artistic lens flare? Or greasy sausage fingers on the lens?...

IMG_1257.JPG

IMG_1258.JPG

IMG_1311.JPEG

IMG_1316.JPEG

I mean its still pretty pedestrian, its a tiny French hatchback, but I do look how aggressive it looks, without having bolted loads of tat on, like eBay canards or a plywood splitter.

Went out for another drive with friends.

IMG_0090.JPG

Managed to score an SW Motorsports half cage. Their customer was upgrading, and I was in the right place at the right time to benefit!

IMG_0126.JPG

IMG_0128.JPG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
After being sick of having no room in the garage with the cage sat there, I realised I could just store it in the Clio. I was doing very little mileage in it so it just became storage on wheels.

IMG_0309.JPEG

At this point I was still running my sexy false floor I made from scrap wood and the amazingly well-matched speaker box carpet. I wasn't driving the car at this time so don't panic over the fact the cage is just lashed in.

I then managed to score a Corbeau Clubsport XL back when everyone thought they would be around forever, and they were cheap.

IMG_0340.JPEG

NB - I wasn't giving roadmen passenger rides, the pass seat isn't fastened in there.

I then loaded up, did Oulton Park again, and took very few photos. Think is is all I have:

IMG_0628.JPG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Into 2018 now, I went and bought satin black rattle cans, and a cheap shower curtain, and set to work!

IMG_1368.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

IMG_1370.jpeg

Yes, I'm using a vacuum cleaner for overspray removal, Henry was off his tits.

Despite this, it actually stunk of paint for weeks afterwards. Ended up leaving it open with a heater in it in the garage to help it all gas off.

Then, when it had dried, I booked it in to get the cage fitted and powder coated.

IMG_1381.jpeg

Then there was a bit of a break, due to a new job, new daily, and Covid.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
2019, pre-Pandy, cage fitted. I was running no front plate for a while, and then my MOT tester stuck it on the front and I couldn't be bothered moving it.

59ed076c-f98a-43ca-bb12-6e7a213f80d5.jpeg

AE2E49A4-AAC7-4369-8435-190F16DA6332.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

Quick late summer blast out

24DC4989-378D-4890-9961-8E5B2FD7E89A.jpeg

Some proper pics by my mate with a camera! Lots of slow shutter speed motion blur to make the slow driving speeds seem faster...

IMG_1190.png

IMG_1191.png

IMG_1189.png

IMG_1192.png

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
From approx 2019 I owned a Lexus GS430 as my daily. I was doing low miles and planning on buying a house closer to work, so I was loving the VIP life.
I bought it completely standard, and proceeded to ruin it with 19s, coilovers, a full stainless exhaust, induction kit imported from the US, and a paddle shift wheel from an IS350, wired in to work correctly. This should explain the gaps in the Clio timeline as I had another toy to modify. I spent most of the first lockdown hand polishing the wheels, referring the kerb marks and faces etc. Also drilling out all the fake rim bolts and tapping them to take capheads. they were genuine 2pc JDM wheels, but were welded, so would have been a b**ch to split, if that makes sense.

Ended up like this, and I wish I still had it. This was sold to a sound lad called Jack from Bury/Whitefield/Manchester way, and I believe its on air now.

B1E915EB-7536-4B71-9235-4249B82F4683.jpeg

IMG_2426.jpeg

1F7F8044-B92B-4965-89F6-7D9D4C2030BF.jpeg
IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

938fa5d1-1fff-4a23-8b5c-a11f8e3ffa68.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I then obtained a set of PMS solid top mounts and strut bar, and new engine mounts (standard gearbox mount, upper Kangoo mount, and Powerflex insert.

IMG_5193.jpeg

IMG_5194.jpeg

It's had new callipers since then, don't worry/

IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg

Something rings a bell about fitting new dust boots on the shocks too.

IMG_5197.jpeg

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_5248.jpeg

IMG_5249.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
IMG_5282.jpeg

7EC37374-134E-4656-A7B9-6A69539657C7.jpeg

I do plan to tart up the engine bay, but it kinda feels a bit pointless when I'm not the type to sit with the bonnet up at shows. Or go to shows. But still, pride in your machine and all that. Not sure where my front badge is in the below pic. Probably being sprayed satin black for the 20th time.

IMG_5496.jpeg

Ordered a stick on but road legal plate. Pleased with it!

IMG_5538.jpeg

Also got a glass rear wiper blank too. It was an absolute ball ache to fit, but its done now.

IMG_5529.jpeg

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Then, determined to get rid of the sticky interior, I replaced what I could, and for the rest........

IMG_5542.jpeg

IMG_5543.jpeg
IMG_5546.jpeg

60710005235__305FFEB3-0044-4CDE-8D5C-7F2E3B162406.jpeg
60710185625__E58267C7-8DB1-4E7E-A1C0-A539F5B64705.jpeg

Pretty pleased with that! Then I felt like I'd completely lost my marbles and washed my dashboard :ROFLMAO:

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5578.jpeg

Nowhere near as fazing as I thought it would be! Pretty easy! Out of the cocktail of chemicals I used, I think it was the Elbow Grease that worked the best, but also warm water and patience worked equally well.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looking back at how cluttered my old man's garage was when I lived there makes me wonder why he didn't jump for joy when I moved out :LOL:
2 people's tools, 2 people's hobbies, and one person making mess (me) while the other tidies.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Into 2021 now, and managed to score some bargain phase 1 OZ alloys. They look surprisingly well when they're clean! Shame they're not a bit wider as they do sit inside arches.
Looks like I'd already fitted my PMS stud conversion! Makes life a lot easier.

IMG_3166.JPEG
IMG_3168.JPEG
IMG_3169.JPEG
IMG_3170.JPEG
IMG_3185.JPEG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was having trouble getting the locking wheel nut key on with the extended studs, so had an excuse to play on the big toys.

3469D185-565C-48C0-8907-A39069D59861.jpg

A1D3A8FA-809E-4E75-B842-A822A05B0744.jpg

Literally the most pathetic bit of machining I could have just done on the pillar drill instead. But still.

Prepping for the next track day, did the rear pads.

IMG_3699.JPEG

IMG_3698.JPEG
IMG_3706.JPEG

Strange how both sides have failed and delaminated... I did have issues with a seized calliper and wazzy handbrake cable so can only imagine they've got a little warm.

IMG_3704.JPEG

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
One of the advantages of knowing quite a few people who are into cars (after spending the first 30 odd years of my life having no car pals) is that you can all club together and do stuff you wouldn't normally be able to.
So we did a private hire at Llandow!

We're all based in Lancashire/Greater Manchester so convoyed down on the A & B roads. Until a Mini did Mini things and shat itself. I'm the one with the shiny pink trainers and the shinier head.

7f91b27d-0ed2-4c0c-9b90-1a605be5b29e.jpeg

After losing a couple of hours sorting it, we all crossed our fingers, closed our eyes really tight, and it just sorted itself out. Behaved itself for the rest of the weekend! Bloody cars.

65114775999__B98F317B-97D7-4E61-8920-FB178DF5071C.jpeg

I may get bored of how it looks, but that hasn't happened yet!

I also added a harness before Llandow and couldn't believe the difference it made. Wish I'd done it sooner to be honest.

65114777052__8D36AC3C-7410-4282-95C4-5DADE0C450A9.jpeg

8fb071ef-b8ae-49fd-b275-7c883374ce2f.jpeg

c38a6645-5274-4c88-b6ed-20148f14f677.jpeg

d2e05624-72dc-40a3-a4a6-6f4f161e0c4c.jpeg

Personally I really like Llandow as a circuit. It was small enough that you could get to grips with it, and learn it relatively quickly, so you could start experimenting with lines and braking points etc. I'm probably a pretty s**t driver, but I enjoy it, so who cares!

Now I didn't get much driving done on this day sadly. I'd initially gone out on my road tyres to save time, but realised they weren't up to much. Came in and swapped them and my session ended. Then tried to adjust the camber to help with turn in (I've got a method), which led to more faffing around.
All the while, for the previous few months I'd been suffering ABS issues, and I'd narrowed this down to steering angle sensor/clock springs/squib issues. A friend had a code reader so whenever I went on track, I could clear the code, get a proper brake pedal feel with ABS, and enjoy the car. But whenever I turned it off and turned it back on again, the car did that initial check and flagged the ABS light again, meaning 50:50 brake distribution and shite pedal feel.
I soldiered on.

After several laps I'd absolutely cooked the power steering fluid, boiled it over and burst the pressure sensor boss on the high pressure line. Driving round the track I was trying to figure out whose car had supercharger whine, until I realised it was mine, and it was the power steering pump. Also, at about the same time as I realised, and immediately slowed down and did some cool down laps, I started to feel a 'knot' in the steering. Like a spot of resistance as I turned that I had to overcome. That wasn't good. I let the car cool down, chilled out for the rest of the afternoon and limped it back to the hotel for beers and food.

The following day, I went straight to Halfords at Bridgend, bought 2 bottles of power steering fluid, and a tube of power steering leak stopper. I then limped it the 4 hours back home to Lancashire.

At this point a lot started happening in my life! We'd had an offer accepted on a house, but despite intending to move closer to work, this was too good to pass up, and way better than the others we'd viewed. That said, we'd actually had two houses fall through prior to this, so we were trying not to get too excited, or make too many plans.

The Saturday before Llandow I'd sold the Lexus, the trackday was on the Friday (drove down Thursday). On the Wednesday of that week, the other lad in my office and our boss both handed their notice in to go to a competitor. So the Thursday morning before I drove to Wales, I drove into work with a car full of track tyres, gerry cans and tools, and sat down in my pink trainers and a death metal band t-shirt for a meeting with the directors, where I put myself forward for my boss's position. Shortly after that meeting I got a call saying we had a completion date for the house purchase. With a new role potentially on the cards with a wage rise to match, I may not have needed to sell the Lexus for house moving funds, but at least I still had the Clio, which was cool, fun, relatively economical on a run, and working.

Except I broke it at Llandow...

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I wanted something big, comfy, economical, with a bit of prestige about the badge, and a bit of go. Pretty much the diesel equivalent of my Lexus.
I had a friend with the hybrid one, and he did have issues with the batteries, so that put me off.
I'd previously had a 120d coupe, and an e90 335d, both of which had boost pipework issues and cost me a fortune to fix. Also, I couldn't afford an F10 5 series, and the e60 reminded me of a knobhead who had one and I couldn't shake the stigma.

I bought a facelift Jaguar XF-S. 3.0 twin turbo diesel, 8 speed ZF autobox, 275bhp. Managed to get one with the carbon fibre interior trim as well.

IMG_3750.jpeg

IMG_3849.jpeg

Now despite being a lovely car to own, a great car to drive, genuinely quick and handling surprisingly well, it decided to break down at every opportunity and cost me an absolute fortune. I bought it for £8,000, spent probably close to £4,000 fixing various issues, and almost 2 years to the day of me buying it, the crank snapped with zero warning, and I sold it on eBay on a no reserve auction. A gamble that saw me get £1600 for it.

That said, I did get something from the Jag's ownership that and I won't forget anytime soon, and I'm sure will last quite some time...

DrawPhotograph (1).jpeg

3 points on my license! :LOL:

So aside from this saga, getting the keys to my house and starting a management position at work meant I didn't really have much time, energy, or cash to direct towards the Clio. It pretty much just sat around, waiting for the XFS to break down again and be used as interim transport whilst parts were on order from JLR.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I decided I needed to get the steering angle sensor issue sorted, and began buying sensors and squibs etc to try and rectify it. My options were to either pay £120+ for a known good steering angle sensor, or keep buying second hand ones that are a gamble, but cheaper.
Naturally I bought the second hand ones!
I think I ended up with about 3 squibs, and 4 steering angle sensors, but after much swearing, I was optimistic.

This was my view for many weeks, aside from a wallpaper pasting table, and carpet samples.

IMG_4204.jpeg

7F96E9D4-99D2-4F6E-923E-4E7A7487B939.jpeg

Cheeky fleet shot outside the gaff.

IMG_5308.jpeg

Could really do with some spacers for when I run the F1s.

During one of the many instances with me driving my GFs car, noticing the low oil light being on, and her replying "its only been on about a week, the oil is in the boot", I spotted this:

IMG_9433.jpeg

Which mad lad at Citroen designed the weight saving bonnet hinges on a C1?! Unless that's a bit of Aygo design, as it seems very Japanese.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
After having gotten bored of having a track car that never went on track, and having made a decent amount of progress on the house, I booked the car in with Birchdown for a new power steering pump, cam belt, aux belt, all those nice expensive bits!

They turned it around in a day like a pair of absolute legends, and the car was back, and ready to be made track-proof!

B683B704-B867-4008-8FD4-F78234D66ED8.jpeg

Driving back North after the work had been carried out.

I then just blatted about in it locally. Going to work in it, going to the shops, going to the cinema. Essentially just using it for transport and genuinely enjoying it as a vehicle. I even started washing it!

00e96b42-1bae-45f6-a868-e480ada44bc9.jpeg

3f2fc78b-3d95-45b2-ae4f-064a4fb88cd3.jpeg

3769de18-fad2-4f45-b054-5401657b6cea.jpeg

d1598ae6-b677-4dac-a4a5-fcb3aa3d413a.jpeg

a9127757-9746-4ee5-ae66-1b9bcddd90f0.jpeg

Brown tyres club

IMG_1560.jpeg

IMG_1745.jpeg

Headlights are shagged again. Probably going to just throw some light smoked tint film on them.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Obviously throughout the past 2 years of ownership I hadn't intended on not tracking it. I think I had at least 3 days booked that I ended up either selling or getting credits for due to mechanical issues. So I grew a set of balls and booked on for Blyton Park with some pals.

IMG_1650.jpeg

I'll have to figure out that way of loading them I used to do where it looked neat. Pretty sure I still had the rear strut bar in, albeit a pointless mod, it was sometimes handy for propping the tyres on before lashing them to the cage.

IMG_1677.jpeg

Now at this point it had been over 2 years since my last track outing, and way more than that since my last FULL day on track. It was really good to get back out there. Reminded me why I do this in the first place. With more and more dickheads on the roads (both in the general public and people I've gone driving with in the past) I've stopped enjoying spirited country drives as much. There's just too much at stake, too many chances to get it wrong, and you're not just risking your own car/health/life, its other people's as well. It pretty much set my mind towards the fact the Clio is primarily a track car. Yes it will be kept road legal, and usually driven to track (and for generally "lets see how it drives with this new XYZ part" moments), but I can't see myself joining friends of friends doing the NC500 in it any time soon.

A downside of this is the whole day was a reminder of 1) how soft the car felt, and 2) just how out of practice I was. I was s**t, to be honest. The thing is though, I turned up, I went out, I got my tuition, and I left a better driver than I had arrived. At the end of the day I enjoy driving and its not competitive. I just need to get my confidence back!

Sadly at Blyton I did overheat the power steering fluid again, and that fluid has done perhaps less than 2000 miles. My fingers are crossed incredibly tightly that I haven't shagged another PAS pump, and so far, touching wood, it seems alright. It can whine a little under heavy load a low speed, but I'm just putting that down to how the system is.

Thats us pretty much up to speed. It failed the MOT on the exhaust last week, so will be throwing on a standard spec catback until next year when I know what I want to do exhaust wise, and I'm currently looking into power steering coolers with much help from @Touring_Rob and @Beauvais Motorsport (including a Beauvais Bonus part yet to be revealed!).

I've also got a Jon Foz subframe to fit, some non slip pedals, the Renault OEM gearbox drip tray, some brass shifter bushes (if I can find them), a cabin filter, a small sun trip, and plans to do oil, filter & plugs before it comes back to life in the new year.
And also buy & fit the PMS rear ARB, and Grams springs.
And maybe Koni Yellows.

I best get the garage cleared out!

To carry on the discussion element of this, what's worth polybushing at the front now I'm planning on taking it to bits? Is it worth just getting new wishbones with fresh OEM bushes?

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Just an idea because they are more money but adjustable wishbone bushes? This will allow you to make slight changes in roll centre, king pin inclination, caster(I haven't checked in a while but Im pretty sure you can), camber, track width among other suspension kinematics (Sorry Ive not been studying that side of things for a bit and focusing on more on my other 'curriculum'. Of course you can only set them certain ways so cant have max camber with the maximum roll centre height for example. Theres a compromise, but might open up some better setups that you couldnt have without the adjustment...

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
Now I dont have the data so this is speculation... But remember if you increase king pin inclination (opposite effect to caster) You may need adjustable top mounts to add more caster so that in the corner the tyres are heating up evenly, or perhaps you dont want to (rear end of btcc rear camber). Again I havnt been reading up on this recently so Im not 100%..

5034399934_753b95269a_o.png

Last edited:

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member

I would perhaps start with mostly caster with a bit of camber with the top mounts and set the adjustable wishbone to the highest point to give some roll centre correction. Because you dont want max caster and max track width, basically more self aligning torque, it might upset the front end a bit and make the steering harder to turn (the part I sent you will help with this) And put more pressure on the pas pump😑 (not the part I sent you will!) Or it might be great! lol

Bare in mind with more caster you will lose svsa (side view swing arm) instant centre (theres always a comprise). With kingpin inclination (more camber increase) (front view swing arm) but heighteing the roll centre from the wishbone will lose some instant centre length (the dynamic kinematics will change more with these kinenmatic changes, but they could be minuscule.... its just a hunch.. So don't maybe dont make max major changes so soon. Just some ideas mate, hope it all works out!

Its been a while so bare with me!

Last edited:

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member
One of my favorite pictures of a skoda wrc, a setup that allows you to change camber without changing some of the other elements of the the kinematics (I hope anyway!) As it will be move the upright but the coilover with stay the same (Strut axis) I reckon you change just the camber and can leave the lower arm angle/position to keep it exactly the same..

DSC_6366-1920x1280.jpg

Beauvais Motorsport

ClioSport Club Member

I would perhaps start with mostly caster with a bit of camber with the top mounts and set the adjustable wishbone to the highest point to give some roll centre correction. Because you dont want max caster and max track width, basically more self aligning torque, it might upset the front end a bit and make the steering harder to turn (the part I sent you will help with this) And put more pressure on the pas pump😑 (not the part I sent you will!) Or it might be great! lol

Bare in mind with more caster you will lose svsa (side view swing arm) instant centre (theres always a comprise). With kingpin inclination (more camber increase) (front view swing arm) but heighteing the roll centre from the wishbone will lose some instant centre length (the dynamic kinematics will change more with these kinenmatic changes, but they could be minuscule.... its just a hunch.. So don't maybe dont make max major changes so soon. Just some ideas mate, hope it all works out!

Ignore this one. This is the corrected version.

I would perhaps start with mostly caster with a bit of camber with the top mounts and set the adjustable wishbone to the highest point to give some roll centre correction. Because you dont want max caster and max track width, basically more self aligning torque and mechanical trail, it might upset the front end a bit and make the steering harder to turn and put more pressure on the pas pump😑 (the part I sent you will help with all this) Or the setup might be great! lol

Bare in mind with more caster you will lose svsa IC (side view swing arm) instant centre (theres always a comprise). With kingpin inclination (more camber increase) (front view swing arm) but heightening the roll centre from the wishbone will lose some instant centre length (the dynamic kinematics will change more with these kinematic changes, but they could be minuscule.... its just a hunch.. So don't maybe dont make max major changes so soon. Just some ideas mate, hope it all works out!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks for the writeup! I think I follow it lol. I think cost wise some of those mods won't be happening this year (PMS adjustable wishbones cost the same as the car did) unless the tubular ones on eBay are any good?
I really want to get into the guts of setting the car up, but I think I need to get it to a good starting point first.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
A little update, it failed it's MOT last week for the exhaust, so throwing on a replacement to get me through the next 12 months or so before I get a stainless one sorted.

Tarticmonkey

ClioSport Club Member
  CLIO 197 CUP,
Just realised I think I might have met you and your car before at Blyton! White 197 CUP you helped me fuel at the Xmas trackday last year and mates with George of Red Mini Fame!

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Productive Saturday!

The car failed its MOT on the exhaust, and whilst I want to upgrade the exhaust at some point, at present I have other mods in mind.

I bought an OEM spec catback system which was delivered last week.

I then sprayed the welds and seams with galv spray and sprayed the tailpipe so it didn't stand out as much.

IMG_2259.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg

IMG_2258.jpeg

The jack is still under it at this point, I didn't leave it propped up on the piss.

I went inside to make a brew, and when I came out my old man had the grinder going :LOL:

IMG_2262.jpeg

Offered the new system up. It went on fine. The only issue was the hanger on the centre section had the usual 'bulb' on the end, and the replacement centre hanger had a metal split ring inside the rubber hanger that needed persuading over and then squeezing back together afterwards.

IMG_2264.jpeg

IMG_2266.jpeg

Job done!

Pulled it out of the garage and let it idle a bit to hopefully cure the exhaust gum.

IMG_2270.jpeg

Then did some sick Max Power shots 🤣

IMG_2272.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg

Retest this week then winter strip down when the garage is clear!

Also managed to find the cause of a rattle over uneven ground - my drivers side topmount was loose! Nipped it back up and I've got some Loctite on order.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Test drove the other day and it was fine. Came to work in it today and found that above 5000rpm it vibrates like I've got my electric toothbrush in my back pocket!
I think the hanger is touching the mount. Will have a bit of a fiddle this weekend.

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Would folks recommend changing the HT leads when doing the work plugs? No issues or anything etc just wondered if it’s worth doing on a 17 year old car

JimF

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I’ve never done them so at least 6 years.
I was just a bit confused as with it being electrical my first thought was they either work or they don’t. But then I thought about the strength of the current and if they’d be getting brittle now and changing them would avoid any breakdowns in the future.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
if it’s worth doing on a 17 year old car

That’s precisely why things need replacing. I’m not suggesting throwing a parts cannon at an old car when there’s no need, but there were 3 things I never changed on my RB Resto.

1. PAS pump - It used to whine slightly but functioned perfectly well. I also had the opportunity when the engine was out to switch it, but I didn’t do it. It failed after a few hundred miles 🤦🏻‍♂️
2. Pre-cat lambda sensor - I did the post-cat sensor when I put a new exhaust on, but for some reason didn’t do the other one. It failed shortly after the PAS pump.
3. Windscreen washer pump - Every now and then I’d get a weird noise coming from the pump despite the washers working. As soon as I put the car on the road properly over winter and started using the windscreen washers, it went.

Everything else has pretty much been changed, and the car's done a couple of thousand now, going really well.

If you’re doing the plugs and have got your hands on a new set of HT leads, I’d swap them.