ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jc5 129 circlip issues

rs200
Has anybody had issues with there circlip in 129 boxes mines gone but my friend is telling me that it will just keep happening and i should run a 130 box and have no speedo car is a track car anyway so speedo isn't the end of the world!
But do I put the 129 back in and hope it's okay or just put the 130 in and have no speedo but no circlip issues either

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
You can also purchase a Renfort plate on ebay which you drill and tap to provide a bolted plate to secure the shaft.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
mine popped on my mk1, replaced it twice, second time welding it. They lasted one drive each so would say just replace the box. Friend of mine has recently had his box rebuilt and a bolt in installed for around £300

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Parts alone on PMS are £320... And decent gearbox builders are few and far between!

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
mine popped on my mk1, replaced it twice, second time welding it. They lasted one drive each so would say just replace the box. Friend of mine has recently had his box rebuilt and a bolt in installed for around £300
You popped one that was welded in?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Must of been some crap welding then. Which not surprised by as a pain to do being high carbon.

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
08022011339.jpg

Renault Clio
It's me who's had my williams box rebuilt, I paid £350. Agency transmissions rebuilt it, which I've heard great things about their work.

Renault Clio
the gearbox had a leak, so the casing was changed, I bought the bolt in diff clio off Ebay, that's £50, so he fitted that, then replaces all seals and o rings, stripping the box down to check for any damage. It's with a 12 month warranty so hope everything is good, fitting it next week.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
the gearbox had a leak, so the casing was changed, I bought the bolt in diff clio off Ebay, that's £50, so he fitted that, then replaces all seals and o rings, stripping the box down to check for any damage. It's with a 12 month warranty so hope everything is good, fitting it next week.

Ahh right, so no synchros, gears or selector forks then. You would have been into twice that price if so.

absolute minimum :wink:

Yep.

Renault Clio
It was only a leak they needed to sort out, then changed wear and tear items within the box.

Love how negative people are ai!

RichValver

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 16v/172 daily
Not negative as such, it's just with the post saying 'rebuild' and '£300' the two don't go together when it come to these boxes.
ok maybe my wording was incorrect, but for the purpose of this thread where the chap has a popped circlip, fitting of a bolt in diff and reconditioning of his box would be around £350 if that is the route he wanted to take. Does that keep everyone happy? :D

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
ok maybe my wording was incorrect, but for the purpose of this thread where the chap has a popped circlip, fitting of a bolt in diff and reconditioning of his box would be around £350 if that is the route he wanted to take. Does that keep everyone happy? :smiley:

Yeah that would be/is right.

dan's cast offs.
cheapest/easiest option is stick a renfort plate on the diff.

once you open a box up 99% of the time it's never just new bearings and seals etc. add a couple of gears and a selector fork to a rebuild kit and you're over £400 for parts alone.

Clio 172, Shogun
Ive had circlip issues with my gearbox and ended up putting a bolted in diff into my speedo drive casing so have the best of both worlds, didn't cost anywhere near £350, was £150 but didn't have anything renewed other than a diff swop

If anyone is selling a box where the circlip keeps coming out id be willing to purchase it off them to put another bolted in diff into it, must be cheap though