ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jailbreaking: A Guide... & Best Features.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Just a quick word of warning.

DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE JAILBREAKING

Some "Not very techy" people are attempting things BEFORE they understand how they work.

1998 BMW e46 323i
Can't get blackra1n app on springboard on 3.1.2, HELP! Get the bootscreen, and nothing, or I get the plug in usb splash screen and iTunes tells me I have to restore....

a burnt one
Still using V3.0.1 as i'm not hearing too many good reports about the latest jailbreak, which is all i want, dont need an unlock.

Is it really safe enough or are these reports due to the type of people Tom pointed out.

I just can't download anything from the Appstore as it's asking me to update to 3.1

1998 BMW e46 323i
I've watched loads of tutorials for blackra1n now, and for some reason I can't replicate the results. I'm doing something wrong, clearly.

I've used another method now tho, so, not the end of the world.

Tesla MP3 2021
Has anyone tried this yet?

I dont need the unlock but I am tempted to to Jailbreak for the first time.

What's the deal with the Tethered jailbreak and not letting your battery go flat??

Sorry, just need to pick this up again.

I have just jb my mates iPod Touch 2nd Gen using Blackra1n RC3 on my Mac and after updating a few things in Cydia the device had to be restarted. When it restarted it was asking to be connected to iTunes, now this is called tethering right?? and you need to use Blackra1n again to access the device. Is there anyway around this??

Thanks

Cupra
Not at the minute, no. The writer of Blackra1n has said that he might work on it, but does not seem to be doing much at the minute. People slating him and being generally unappreciative of everything he has done so far is not much of an incentive... so I think he just wants to put across a big "f**k You very much" to them.

Also for the people who are selling his jailbreak and making cash of his hard work too.

DCi
if i jailbreak my phone will it sync all my current apps from itunes after?
or do i have to download them again? i'm just thinking about apps ive paid for..

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Always backup EVERYTHING before you start. Make sure everything's selected for backup in iTunes.

Rule one.

DCi
that side of it all seems ok, ive had a play around.

i got it jailbroken, installed openssh and copied over a custom txt sound as that's all i really wanted... then i thought i'd have a look through cydia and see what i could do... i tried to install a custom dialer. After it installed it asked me to reboot which made my ipod go into restore mode.

not quite sure how im supposed to install it without it doing that :(

Tesla MP3 2021
Sounds like you have a new touch, this means it is tethered and you need re-jailbreak the device again to access it. You need to do this everytime the decive is rebooted.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Yeah, it'll have the later bootrom, so a bit more awkward. You'll have to jailbreak it every time you turn it off.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
that side of it all seems ok, ive had a play around.

i got it jailbroken, installed openssh and copied over a custom txt sound as that's all i really wanted... then i thought i'd have a look through cydia and see what i could do... i tried to install a custom dialer. After it installed it asked me to reboot which made my ipod go into restore mode.

not quite sure how im supposed to install it without it doing that :(

3GS's are still tethered if it was made after October '09. It'll be using a later bootrom.

Just run blackra1n again, it'll get it back to the springboard.

Tesla MP3 2021
i got a month old 3gs.

sod that tho. it sounds like far too much effort

Thought you had a touch as you said
asked me to reboot which made my ipod go into restore mode.
;)...

Anyway, as Chris has said any 3Gs's after Oct 09 have the "fixed" bootroom so you will have to re-jailbreak to get back into the device.

DCi
meh :rasp:

so if i want to install an app that requires a reboot (custom dialer screen in this instance) can i copy the files over via ssh or something?

Golf R/Leon FR
just JB'd my 3g iPhone, was ridiculously easy to do :)

do i just download themes etc through cydia? or is there anywhere else to get them from?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Cydia or Rock.

Or you can use SSH, but that's a bit more complex. Stick to Cydia since it does the work for you.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
meh :rasp:

so if i want to install an app that requires a reboot (custom dialer screen in this instance) can i copy the files over via ssh or something?

Everytime you need a reboot, you'll need to run blackra1n to allow the device to get back to the springboard.

It's being 'fixed'... or so they say. I can't wait.

DCi
i think i have just realised what im doing wrong...

when it reboots, itunes tries to recover it. (involving syncing 10gb+ of data which is slooow)

close itunes without recovering, run blackra1n to get it going again, i assume?

just got an iphone today, its a month old with the 3.1.2 firmware, followed the guide from the link earlier in the thread and its worked spot on as far as i can see, ive restarted the phone and it started up fine and the wifi is also working fine without havin to reset settings etc.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
1) My 3GS is currently running JB 3.0, is it worth upgrading to JB 3.1.2?

2) I JB'd with red snow, found it very reliable, if it's worth upgrading to 3.1.2, is it worth getting hold of a Mac to use PwnageTool instead of Blackra1n?

3) When I JB'd with red snow, I didn't lose any of my apps/music/numbers/settings etc, will PwnageTool or Blackra1n change anything? Best to backup all Cydia apps too?

I found jailbreaking easy when I did it before, but just don't want to make my iPhone less reliable and lose my data, etc esp as my music is manually sync'd.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I have a problem im new to jailbreaking and im tryin to run redsn0w and it keeps crashing on windows 7 i have tried running it on different compatibility settings and as admin, but no good can anyone help trying to break a 3GS

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Its okay i have sorted it now, and installed Cydia and Winterboard. Which is great but im waiting for Apptrackr to be released, is there anything else i can use to get free apps?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Have been using something called app cake which is amazing, loving the jailbroken iphone. Shame its not mine!