ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jacking car on uneven group

Suzuki Swift Sport
I need to Jack my car up on a surface that is made up of chippings and duff.

First time the trolley jack sunk into the ground and just kept sinking with more and more weight on it. Had to take the wheels and clean the bearings as they were full of Crap.

Tried spreading the load with a piece of ply but it's still sank in and cracked, not being able to move. The car goes up OK, but it's shifting because the Jack can't roll.

Can't use a slab as it's too tall to get the Jack up then.

Is this safe if I carry on jacking up? It doesn't look like the Jack will tip, but it's putting a lot of load on the arm pushing the car rather than rolling as it should.

Any other ideas? Got a metal sheet coming tomorrow from a friend to try, but if I can get it up in the mean time, it will save him a trip.

Doing on the roadside not an option as it's long term work.

Thanks

SQ5
Find somewhere with a good ground. Last thing you want is a car falling on you, unless you fancy four wheels for the rest of your life.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I've got axle stands to go under. It's only cambelt/dephaser work.

I'd planned on jacking high enough to get a large slab under each chassis rail, with the Axle stands positioned on those.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Do as Danny says. Even putting it on slabs isn't going to give you the solid ground you need. A car pinning you to the floor is not going to be a good way to go.

..Jack..

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Do as Danny says. Even putting it on slabs isn't going to give you the solid ground you need. A car pinning you to the floor is not going to be a good way to go.

I've cracked many a slab with jacks and axle stands before now, I'd just find somewhere with solid ground to do it.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Some timber to get it up in the air, then get a stand under it, then re-place the jack and go again, you'll be able to get up in small increments without the jack being able to roll.

Suzuki Swift Sport
Thanks gents.

The car has to stay here. And it has to be done so it looks like it's going up one way or another. Just need to make it as safe as possible.

I'll have a chat with my mate when I see him.