ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's only taken 12 months.....

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just over 12 months ago myself and @BIGASH went to the Nurburgring with a view to setting a sub 8:15 btg time. What started well, ended with disaster! For those of you that don't know, here's a run down of how that long weekend went.......

Loaded up the cup on James' trailer - 20 miles into the journey and the BMW engine expired. 1200 miles after it had been rebuilt!
We continued the journey in the cup after various eurotunnel/ferry dramas. 18 hours after I'd initially started the journey, we were in Germany.

Wheels swapped over and out I went for a settling in lap on the Friday evening - the car was flying, so feelings were good. Then along came Saturday. The traffic on the nordschliefe was horrendous. In all the years I'd been going, this was the worst I'd ever known or seen it to be. I went back out later in the afternoon with James behind me in a rental swift and that's where it all got interesting!!

This is uploaded in low res as I've not had time to piss about doing a proper 1080 version.

Notice the distortion on the GoPro - that's the driveshaft shitting itself! Worst bit is I wasn't even on a full attack lap, which can be clearly seen in the video! I'm in 2nd gear - it's usually a 3rd or 4th gear corner for me............

Just to make things better, it didn't all end there either! Lol!! I finally arrived home with BIGASH £2.5k lighter in the wallet and without a car! What a weekend!!😂

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Snotter!

I'm off to the ring in September on my Ducati.

Guy I know has just got back and did around an 8 minute on his third ever lap, either very talented or very close to having a monumental shunt..

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Snotter!

I'm off to the ring in September on my Ducati.

Guy I know has just got back and did around an 8 minute on his third ever lap, either very talented or very close to having a monumental shunt..
Yeah not the most ideal situation tbh! Lol! Character building apparently.

Yes you're right, he's either very talented or one step away from a monumental f**k up.

What? it's taken 12 months to write it up in less than 100 words :tonguewink:
Lol! I was meaning getting the footage off the GoPro! 😂

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be wobbling about at no speed probably. The ring is a dangerous place for bikes and I don't know the place all that well and have never ridden it before.

Just going for the experience

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'll be wobbling about at no speed probably. The ring is a dangerous place for bikes and I don't know the place all that well and have never ridden it before.

Just going for the experience
Tbh mate, that's the best way to do it. I saw more bikers man down on that weekend I was there than ever before.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Tbh mate, that's the best way to do it. I saw more bikers man down on that weekend I was there than ever before.

Is it really that slippery? I've seen some shocking videos of people having low sides and front Enders in general from seemingly nothing!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Is it really that slippery? I've seen some shocking videos of people having low sides and front Enders in general from seemingly nothing!
Nah only if it's wet or someone's dropped oil/coolant and not informed anyone. I've had some dramas on coolant there tbh and it's not the nicest feeling!!
A lot of dramas are caused by the camber/surface changes tbh.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Nah only if it's wet or someone's dropped oil/coolant and not informed anyone. I've had some dramas on coolant there tbh and it's not the nicest feeling!!
A lot of dramas are caused by the camber/surface changes tbh.

I guess you never really know what's been dropped aye

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Wow, that was a year ago?! Time flies!

Did you ever get any videos of you giving it the big 'un? It sounded amazing at the start of that video. That was quite an engine.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Wow, that was a year ago?! Time flies!

Did you ever get any videos of you giving it the big 'un? It sounded amazing at the start of that video. That was quite an engine.
Yes mate, over 12 months now!

Yeah there's a few on the GoPro mate. Just gotta transfer them to the laptop and upload them. Was a cracking engine tbh, but I'm glad I moved on and into the 200 if you get me? This weekend proved to me just how much fun can be had from a relatively standard car on track. With the ac on! Lol

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Yes mate, over 12 months now!

Yeah there's a few on the GoPro mate. Just gotta transfer them to the laptop and upload them. Was a cracking engine tbh, but I'm glad I moved on and into the 200 if you get me? This weekend proved to me just how much fun can be had from a relatively standard car on track. With the ac on! Lol

Would love to see them some time, bet it sounded epic at full bore.

I agree, it's amazing what a laugh a near standard car can be. I know you've not done many miles yet, but how are you finding the change? My plan was to strip my Cup out and rally prep it but it's getting a bit tired. A mate of mine recently picked up a 197 with low miles for next to no money which has made me wonder if it's worth considering. There are a few negatives in that parts are a bit less common and it's heavier, but it did get me thinking. I know a 200 is a bit more of a step up but would be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm going to borrow his 197 for a few days and see how I get on with it. Be interesting to see if the improvement in suspension tech makes up for the weight penalty.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

I agree, it's amazing what a laugh a near standard car can be. I know you've not done many miles yet, but how are you finding the change? My plan was to strip my Cup out and rally prep it but it's getting a bit tired. A mate of mine recently picked up a 197 with low miles for next to no money which has made me wonder if it's worth considering. There are a few negatives in that parts are a bit less common and it's heavier, but it did get me thinking. I know a 200 is a bit more of a step up but would be interested to hear your thoughts. I'm going to borrow his 197 for a few days and see how I get on with it. Be interesting to see if the improvement in suspension tech makes up for the weight penalty.
Oh it definitely sounded the part at full chat mate, no doubt about it.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying the 200 compared to the cup. It's actually nice to be in a civilised office so to speak. Fcs really highlighted to me that the correct decision was made moving on to the mk3.

He R3 maxis ran without the fancy swivel hub in favour of the macpherson setup, but the cup racers retained the swivel hub.

The driving position is a bit high up, but on track for me it worked well. I definitely started to find my feet with the car on track, just the brakes let me down tbh. @Sunglasses_Ron can maybe vouch for how at home I was in the AG.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Oh it definitely sounded the part at full chat mate, no doubt about it.

Honestly, I'm really enjoying the 200 compared to the cup. It's actually nice to be in a civilised office so to speak. Fcs really highlighted to me that the correct decision was made moving on to the mk3.

He R3 maxis ran without the fancy swivel hub in favour of the macpherson setup, but the cup racers retained the swivel hub.

The driving position is a bit high up, but on track for me it worked well. I definitely started to find my feet with the car on track, just the brakes let me down tbh. @Sunglasses_Ron can maybe vouch for how at home I was in the AG.

Interesting. Though if I made the change, it wouldn't stay civilised!

Which hubs did the R3 use? I was under the impression that the swivel hubs didn't appear on the MK3 until the 200 Cup chassis but was flicking through a 197 project thread recently and it looked like it had them?

It's a very interesting thought. Before I had my Cup, I had an ST220 and find that there are situations where I would push the lardy Mondeo harder than the 172. Something about the feeling of "security" in a more modern chassis that gives you the confidence to push on. I look forward to giving a 197 a go to see if it has the same feeling.

Going a bit off your topic here I admit!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Interesting. Though if I made the change, it wouldn't stay civilised!

Which hubs did the R3 use? I was under the impression that the swivel hubs didn't appear on the MK3 until the 200 Cup chassis but was flicking through a 197 project thread recently and it looked like it had them?

It's a very interesting thought. Before I had my Cup, I had an ST220 and find that there are situations where I would push the lardy Mondeo harder than the 172. Something about the feeling of "security" in a more modern chassis that gives you the confidence to push on. I look forward to giving a 197 a go to see if it has the same feeling.

Going a bit off your topic here I admit!
All the mk3's had the swivel hubs mate. Couldn't tell you what hubs they used on the R3 though unfortunately! It's not something I've searched for either tbh.

Where the 200 lacks outright speed, it delivers massively in handling. And it'll deliver in braking as well once I'm done!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
All the mk3's had the swivel hubs mate. Couldn't tell you what hubs they used on the R3 though unfortunately! It's not something I've searched for either tbh.

Where the 200 lacks outright speed, it delivers massively in handling. And it'll deliver in braking as well once I'm done!

Thanks for the info. I did think it was strange that people said it was only the 200 Cup that had swivel hubs but took it at face value.

My mate has said I can borrow his 197 for a few days so will see how I get on with it.

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

I agree, it's amazing what a laugh a near standard car can be.

I agree with this as I have been using a standard Cup (with a full refresh of suspension) this year for sprinting instead of a car with itb's , diff, ast's I am not a lot off the pace I was at and I cant tell if I am a couple of seconds slower from the seat also it feels more dramatic with the extra roll from the standard shocks and springs. A standard rebuilt car is surprisingly good.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Just to make things better, it didn't all end there either! Lol!! I finally arrived home with BIGASH £2.5k lighter in the wallet and without a car! What a weekend!!😂

I'm off to the ring tomorrow, do you mind me asking how the £2.5k bill was generated? I'm assuming towing and cleaning track.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm off to the ring tomorrow, do you mind me asking how the £2.5k bill was generated? I'm assuming towing and cleaning track.
The £2.5k bill wasn't all Nurburgring charges mate. I got charged €489 for the recovery off the circuit. They then took me to the office and charged me a further €130 for the safety car that parks behind you with its lights flashing. The rest of the money was recovery back to the uk (£1000) and flights. We booked a mate of mine on a return flight out of Birmingham to Frankfurt to bring my spare shaft out to us. That shaft promptly shat itself as well! Lol! We were then left with no option but to book last minute flights to get back to the uk. That weekend we saw Frankfurt airport 3 times!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
The £2.5k bill wasn't all Nurburgring charges mate. I got charged €489 for the recovery off the circuit. They then took me to the office and charged me a further €130 for the safety car that parks behind you with its lights flashing. The rest of the money was recovery back to the uk (£1000) and flights. We booked a mate of mine on a return flight out of Birmingham to Frankfurt to bring my spare shaft out to us. That shaft promptly shat itself as well! Lol! We were then left with no option but to book last minute flights to get back to the uk. That weekend we saw Frankfurt airport 3 times!

Oh very sorry to hear that it was such a nightmare trip. It certainly wasn't your weekend.

Have you been back to the to Nurburgring since?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Oh very sorry to hear that it was such a nightmare trip. It certainly wasn't your weekend.

Have you been back to the to Nurburgring since?
s**t happens mate I guess.

No not been back, but having a 8 month old kinda dictates that I can't atm anyway. I intend on going over there in the AG though. I also intend on doing a sub 8:30 in it.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
s**t happens mate I guess.

No not been back, but having a 8 month old kinda dictates that I can't atm anyway. I intend on going over there in the AG though. I also intend on doing a sub 8:30 in it.
Sounds like a plan. If I can drag mine around in 8:31, you should be able to manage a sub-8. 😂
We went on WEC weekend though, so whilst everyone was watching it on the GP, we slipped off for some light traffic TF!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Sounds like a plan. If I can drag mine around in 8:31, you should be able to manage a sub-8. 😂
We went on WEC weekend though, so whilst everyone was watching it on the GP, we slipped off for some light traffic TF!
Well fingers crossed it does mate yeah! Lol! It's the same when it was f1 or dtm as well - nice and quiet. I just dropped unlucky with the traffic.

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Shame to hear about what happened. It's not unheard of but it definitely could have been alot worse. Breaking down is one thing but have a full on shunt/pileup and being bent over backwards for all the charges you get stung for there, on top of what you already experienced, is a further kick to the plumbs!

I've not been to the 'Ring yet. I definitely will at some point, regardless of the stories and videos that you see. I can understand it getting under your skin and chasing for lap times but, for me, it would just be about getting out there, having some fun and getting back again without any accidents and minimal incidents.

Some things are just completely out of your control though, unfortunately. I could see myself renting a Swift or something else when i do eventually end up going. Hope all is well with the car and the next trip proves more successful!

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
Nurburgring just seems like a major ball ache. A simple mechanical failure can land you with a huge debt.

I'll go one day and do one lap to get a photo on the Carousell then f**k off and get a beer and watch everyone else.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Shame to hear about what happened. It's not unheard of but it definitely could have been alot worse. Breaking down is one thing but have a full on shunt/pileup and being bent over backwards for all the charges you get stung for there, on top of what you already experienced, is a further kick to the plumbs!

I've not been to the 'Ring yet. I definitely will at some point, regardless of the stories and videos that you see. I can understand it getting under your skin and chasing for lap times but, for me, it would just be about getting out there, having some fun and getting back again without any accidents and minimal incidents.

Some things are just completely out of your control though, unfortunately. I could see myself renting a Swift or something else when i do eventually end up going. Hope all is well with the car and the next trip proves more successful!
Oh yeah I know just how bad it could've mate for definite. I've had a couple of mates who have rubbed some paint down the barriers and taken one for the team in terms of repairs and costs.

It's definitely a place that everyone should experience at least once in their lifetime. No doubt about it. For me the challenge of getting a good laptime in whilst doing TF is where it's at. I like mixing it up with the faster cars and the bikes. It's a real mental workout as you're having to look ahead at the cars you're catching, then calculating whereabouts you're going to catch them on the circuit. Is it going to be somewhere awkward? Have they seen me coming? Will they even move out the way for me? And all that takes place whilst checking the rear view mirror for that local guy in his gt3 rs just out for a blast after work.

I'm afraid to say that the car in this video is no longer. It was stripped for parts (of which many survive on cs today) and shifted on. I'm now in an AG 200, so we will see how it pans out in the coming years for a trip to the 'Ring. The AG is a sub 8:30 car all day long.
Nurburgring just seems like a major ball ache. A simple mechanical failure can land you with a huge debt.

I'll go one day and do one lap to get a photo on the Carousell then f**k off and get a beer and watch everyone else.
Yeah it's definitely got some sharp teeth mate that's for sure, but this was just one of those things. They say lightening doesn't strike twice, but in this instance, it most certainly did!

The biggest issue you're up against now is the popularity of the place. When I started going over 12 years ago now, it was rare to see uk registered cars. Now they're everywhere, and in some cases, they're driving like utter thundercunts. When I was waiting for the recovery truck for instance, there were 3 or 4 cars that came through the yellow flag zone at battle speed. They were all uk cars, and I'll be honest, I felt f**king embarrassed.

Myself and James look back on that last trip and piss ourselves laughing now, as the full length story is just ridiculous! And it didn't end there either as James had a speeding fine that came through in the post courtesy of the polizei! 😂

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
@Niall - lol here you go!
IMG_4052.PNG
That pic was taken on the return journey from Frankfurt airport (1st of 3 trips to that airport!)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

Seems that way when you think about it, but it's f*cking heaven.