ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITG Airbox project

Not a poxy Renault
I had a Maxogen last year and loved every minute of it, sadly I decided to sell the car, so I whipped off the airbox and sold it on, I brought the Maxogen in the GDI group buy and by the time I came to sell it on, it had lost about £60 in value - so yes, they are worth the Money.
Thing is that I then decided to keep the car, so I picked up a K&N panel filter cheap and soldiered on.
After a couple of months I started hankering after another Maxogen but didn't have the cash for another new one and no second hand ones were about, so I embarked on a plan..
My breif was simple: a new, proven airbox with a 45 Degree feed to the throttle body,which meant a new battery, do it all as cheaply as possible, and make no irreversible alterations to the car.
Job 1, speak to Andy at ITG regarding an RAB65 Airbox, these are basically of the Maxogen design but straight through, they are used in the Maxogen kits for other cars where the 90 degree airbox won't fit, after a good chat to Andy who is very helpful and knowlegable, I got one ordered, which arrived in 24 Hours (£150 delivered). This is the Aluminium version which is a few grammes heavier than the Carbon box, but well over £100 cheaper, and because it is smoother on the inside than the carbon one, it should in theory be better.
Job 2, Spec and Order new battery, Odyssey PC680, £78 delivered from e-bay.
Job 3, Build custom battery tray, using existing bolt holes in the original battery area so no drilling required.
Job 4, make ECU brace, the old one had to go to make room for the new airbox, again I used existing mounting points.
Job 5, mount airbox, cut 45 degree bend (£21 delivered) to size, and insert bits of rubber, from an old bonnet seal, onto the bits of the engine bay which may foul the airbox, also whack a breather filter on (the plan is to get a catch tank in time)

DSC00161.jpg

DSC00163.jpg

I've done this in stages over the last couple of weeks, and only managed to get the airbox in tonight, so I've only had a quick spin in the sleet, however initially I'm very happy with the result, I can't say if its any faster or any of that, but it does sound much better, though not quite as loud as my first Maxogen.
I'm going up to Pauls next friday to have my map tweaked so I'll eventually get an ego busting BHP figure. Never had one before (my original map was before Paul had his rollers) so it should be interesting.
Any questions? :S

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Lookin cool... erm hate to burst your bubble on the Ali theory but the Ali one will be the same heat as your engine bay = hotter inlet temps resulting in possible less power.. the Carbon has i high resistance against heat so therefore you would be taking in cooler temps to the block = more power/sharper engine response but since you now have got shot of the 90 bend the response should be nice ;)

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
how do you find the battery? had any problems with it? fitting one to the track car soon.

carl

Not a poxy Renault
I spoke to Andy about the heat issues, and he assured me it would make no difference, remember there's lots of cool air rushing through there very fast. He could have tried to sell me the more expensive option on that issue, but said there was no point.
As for the battery, I'm using it day to day with no problems, but I've just invested in a charger / conditioner for days when the car is sitting in the garage, just to keep it in good condition.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Could always add a set of PTFE inlet gaskets. Did this to mine and the plenum is stone cold after a run and the inlet manifold is just warm to the touch! Would help reduce your inlet temp.

RS RIP
great job ! Where did you lead the breather filter thingy to ? Down below ? (for smell?)

Not a poxy Renault
The breather filter it just tucked somewhere behind the ECU at the minute, I've not really done enough miles yet to notice the smell but its still on the standard pipe so not much to play with. It will probably be like this for a week or so, until I've raised another £20 for a catch tank.

Golf V6 4Motion
Could always add a set of PTFE inlet gaskets. Did this to mine and the plenum is stone cold after a run and the inlet manifold is just warm to the touch! Would help reduce your inlet temp.

Yep - if you need them mate drop me a PM. Could also ceramic coat your exhaust manifold and if you haven't got a CAF whack one of those in too.

Not a poxy Renault
On the issue of heat, I checked the airbox temp by touch today after my commute home: 30 mile drive with the last 5 miles stop starting in traffic and generally pootling along at 30Mph, so quite low airflow and the airbox was surprisingly cold, even colder that ambient.
I was planning on fitting a CAF, the airbox is designed to take a 4" one, however, getting it down behind the headlight is one problem, and mounting it in a high pressure area, where it won't suck in water from these floods is another, might be a summer only mod!

Golf V6 4Motion
Well i've been running an 80mm CAF into my 4MO airbox, right in the lower grille and the car is lowered, all the way through winter and no problems - you would be very unfortunate to say the least but yes I suppose it could happen.

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I had the exact same setup on my clio before I sold it but with a cf airbox and found this setup to work best after alot of experimenting... http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=296510 <<< Heres my thread

attachment.jpg

My car was mapped at RS tuning and made 170lbft torque and 188bhp on his rollers (I had cat cams, headwork, decat etc).

Whilst down at RS tuning we tried the clio maxogen airbox with a straight silicone hose as well as without an airbox at all. The difference without airbox was half a bhp at top end but lost alot of power and torque at the bottom of the rev range.

I would recommend not fitting a caf, just point it down towards the back of the headlight as it picks up air from the wheel arche / foglight just fine.

RS RIP
The sillicon elbow to the TB, was this not 76mm ? And did you have to move/modify your ecu bracket to be able to fit it all ?

Not a poxy Renault
The elbow on mine is 70mm internal diameter, it fits perfectl. I didn't have to move my ECU bracket, I just used the new brace to push the ECU back slightly, the top left hand corner sits about 10mm further back than it did originally.