ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ITB'd Clio 172 Ph1 - Cambelt Snapped

Hey all, just seen one local with timing belt failure here in Leeds, tempted and thinking of buying it.

just trying to work out how much a head rebuild will cost to see if its worthwhile getting it back on the road.

are these the right valves?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGANE-SCENIC-GRAND-LAGUNA-CLIO-1-8-2-0-16V-F4R-F4P-INLET-EXHAUST-VALVES-16-/120995424859?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AClio%7CCars+Type%3A2.0+16V+Sport&hash=item1c2be3aa5b

the chap seems to have listed all the engine parts in there too. are they correct?

​Thanks

its at 2600 ono pal and i guess if i was to do it i'd be best off doing dephaser and timing belt and water pump.. where cheapest place for these? or do you have part number? i'm just thinking as ive offered 2k and he is telling me to come down and talk, which sounds like he will let it go.. still cheaper than converting mine. repair this one and just sell my 172 ph2 as a complete running car... or leave it as a doner car, and transplant into mine.. hmm

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Worth a punt at that sort of money, there's plenty of parts around for these cars.

Can buy a complete head off here and just have it refreshed and have a new Cambelt etc put on while its going back together

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Ring RS Tuning (a Trader on here) and explain what you're thinking about doing. They'll give you a rough quote I'm sure, they're only in Leeds so not far for you to take it

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Depending on the RPM that the belt failed at, it might well need a lot more than just a head rebuild, I would just budget for a secondhand engine instead personally as when you pull that apart its quite likely it will be carnage inside if it happened at high rpm.
Once the head comes off a valve, thats normally the end of the head casting, the pistons, the crank bearings, potentially the crank, and also the finish of the bore.

So it all depends if its just belt the valves, or had one or more fail in terms of the head coming loose.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Depending on the RPM that the belt failed at, it might well need a lot more than just a head rebuild, I would just budget for a secondhand engine instead personally as when you pull that apart its quite likely it will be carnage inside if it happened at high rpm.
Once the head comes off a valve, thats normally the end of the head casting, the pistons, the crank bearings, potentially the crank, and also the finish of the bore.

So it all depends if its just belt the valves, or had one or more fail in terms of the head coming loose.

Fire in the hole!

250px-M-67Grenade.jpg

New valve guides too if the valves are all bent isn't it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
New valve guides too if the valves are all bent isn't it?

They are a pretty decent material, you can sometimes get away with just reaming them (or even with not having to touch them at all if the failure is at idle) but it really depends on how hard the valves have been whacked in the first place, so what rpm it was at when it failed basically and how soon the clutch got dipped.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
They are a pretty decent material, you can sometimes get away with just reaming them (or even with not having to touch them at all if the failure is at idle) but it really depends on how hard the valves have been whacked in the first place, so what rpm it was at when it failed basically and how soon the clutch got dipped.

Fair comment, phase one lump though so chances are they'll not have been too fresh before the belt going? Ones in my 110k lump were pretty egg shaped :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fair comment, phase one lump though so chances are they'll not have been too fresh before the belt going? Ones in my 110k lump were pretty egg shaped :(

They seem to vary massively, Ive seen 100K ones that were terrible, but my mrs ones at 140K even though there was a tiny bit of wear just werent worth replacing so went back in as they were, which was 10K miles ago now and been perfect since.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
They seem to vary massively, Ive seen 100K ones that were terrible, but my mrs ones at 140K even though there was a tiny bit of wear just werent worth replacing so went back in as they were, which was 10K miles ago now and been perfect since.

Still good after 150k? Mental! Original valves too?

Had assumed all the guides in my other head would need replacing after the valves got dinked, but would be interesting to see if any have survived intact. Not holding my breath... :p

Will have to have a nosey over the weekend :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Still good after 150k? Mental! Original valves too?

As far as I know, but obviously no way of telling if a previous owner had changed them or not, but the gasket certainly looked like it might have been on there 10 years.

Its on supertechs now, but still as far as I know the original guides.

Had assumed all the guides in my other head would need replacing after the valves got dinked, but would be interesting to see if any have survived intact. Not holding my breath... :p

Will have to have a nosey over the weekend :)

Our belt failure happened at idle, so was as gentle as its possible to get, im sure that helped.

Had already bought the new valves and rings and ARP bolts as I had decided to freshen it soon anyway while doing the 182 manifold swap and cams etc, but it obviously saw all the shiney new bits and decided to hurry things along a bit.
I must have been by far the LEAST bothered anyone with a failed belt on a clio has ever been, it was literally just a case of "oh, will do this weekend isntead then" as had the bits waiting, lol.

With some engines the valves can interfere with the pistons and some they don't.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With some engines the valves can interfere with the pistons and some they don't.

With the f4r they always do, even if the belt only skips a few teeth.

I used to have a nova gte years ago and those were non interference so if the belt went you just fitted another and it was fine.