ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is this normal on a 172???

182 McSportius
I went with Adam to pick up this car. The annoying thing is on the 2 occasions we went the engine etc sounded perfectly fine - better than our 182 when its proper cold lol. As it happens i noticed it didnt go to 160 - but only because we have a 182. I did however think as it was just a 172 thats maybe the difference. You just don't think along these lines of there being an issue - and hopefully the finance company will appreciate that.

The auto lights were working before so probably was just turned off, but they've picked up the car now i think.

The engine noise sounds like something vibrating or loose (you know how bad these things sound when travelling through the car), but so annoying it didn't show up before. It was going away with a bit of revs but now it is worse. Sounds very similar to when the gearbox dropped out of my fiesta and landed on the subframe.

I think they will fix it pretty easily but as they've made him lose faith in the car they should just take it back and he can put it down to experience.

182 McSportius
if the engine sounded horrible why did you buy it, also there is a guide about the auto wipers/lights.
It sounded perfectly good on both occasions including testdrive.

It developed about 20 miles later, and sounds like something has come off or loose and it's vibration related. Although since it's got worse it sounds more like bearing or cams related.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
if the engine sounded horrible why did you buy it, also there is a guide about the auto wipers/lights.

Think he said earlier in the thread that he test drove it and all was well, on;y started on the way home from getting it!

Clio 172, Clio 200
Thanks for all the posts, I am just waiting for Monday now to call trading standards and the finance company. Thanks for the photo of the correct clocks, I will use that if need be. My only issue at the moment is how do I know if the car has been clocked or not? And do I have rights to give it back because it has been changed? It seems like a fair enough reason. I will keep updated

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
When the clocks have been changed it should have documentation for either the original mileage or any mileage correction.

Last edited:

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
I'd guess so if you can't verifying the mileage. Have got any history or old MOT certificates that you can compare to the current mileage?

Clio 172, Clio 200
They gave me one previous MOT cert. from 2008 which was about 56000. Anything before that could have been clocked!

182 McSportius
crikey, sound like they saw u coming...
My, aren't we helpful. Unfortunately some people lack mystic powers to know noises that werent there would develop.

I also didnt realise it was the norm for people to know what speed clocks went up to on a car you've never owned before. I guess you learn something new every day - i shall tell everyone else I know cos i know for damn sure they dont check that either.

Rest of car looks ok for stated miles too and HPI check comes up fine.

wrt HPI check - if it's coming up clear on the mileage checks but it turns out the car is clocked is their guarantee any use?

TimR26

ClioSport Area Rep
They gave me one previous MOT cert. from 2008 which was about 56000. Anything before that could have been clocked!

The car is on 57210 in the picture you linked to earlier. It's blatantly been clocked as I very much doubt the car has only done 1000 miles since 2008. I'd save and print out a copy of the Autotrader advert if I were you to use as evidence.

Audi S3 Saloon
Go to the vosa website and enter in the v5 number and car reg, shows details of all mot tests including mileage and advisories. I did this with mine when I bought it as they had lost the printed mot certificates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172, Clio 200
I have already screenshot the advert just incase I need it in evidence. They keep saying they are within their right to fix any faults with the car, this clocking however is not something you can just fix, so I believe on that alone I am entitled to my money back. I didn't use a credit card for the £100 payment, but at this stage losing 100 pounds is hardly much of a loss if it gets rid of the car!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
My, aren't we helpful. Unfortunately some people lack mystic powers to know noises that werent there would develop.

I also didnt realise it was the norm for people to know what speed clocks went up to on a car you've never owned before. I guess you learn something new every day - i shall tell everyone else I know cos i know for damn sure they dont check that either.

Rest of car looks ok for stated miles too and HPI check comes up fine.

wrt HPI check - if it's coming up clear on the mileage checks but it turns out the car is clocked is their guarantee any use?

perhaps if the op looked at other cars, or asked advice on here before rushing into it, they might be better off.

Clio 172, Clio 200
Thanks I've just tried it, what am I looking for? It just shows all previous MOT's etc.

I realise now I should have maybe asked for more advice but like Sidhead says, I wouldn't have known about the clocks, I took Sidhead with me to check over the car and at this point it seemed fine.

Audi S3 Saloon
Check the mileage of each mot, do they seem to go up by a realistic amount each year? Anything else suspicious shown for fails, advisories etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio 172, Clio 200
Seems ok, went up one year by alot, I don't know what i'm looking for with regards to it being suspicious. I'm happy for anyone else to have a look through?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Maybe post up the mileages but more than likely clocks were changed before the last MOT was issued if was only 1000 less miles in 2008.

Have you got the name and address of the previous owner on your V5 green slip? Maybe find his number/visit if local and ask him if he knows about the clocks etc?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Seems ok, went up one year by alot, I don't know what i'm looking for with regards to it being suspicious. I'm happy for anyone else to have a look through?

Say for example every year it roughly did 8k, then one year it did like 1k with the same owner.

Clio 172, Clio 200
This is odd the history only goes back to 2007.

02/2007 reading: 44,125
06/2008 reading: 53,607
02/2010 reading: 57,156

No MOT for 2009????

182 McSportius
perhaps if the op looked at other cars, or asked advice on here before rushing into it, they might be better off.
He did look at other cars. Yes looking on here for info is all very well but I just looked at a thread on here for someone asking advice and I didnt notice anyone on there suggesting they should check the speedo goes to 160. The lack of past MOTs is nothing - it's all online now and clocking should show up on HPI - unless they have done 50k in a year and dropped it back. What other advice would you have given? (Bearing in mind it is now hindsight for Adam, but hey we can all learn something).

As said previously all seemed fine on 2 visits, condition matched age + mileage, and yes the 140 vs 160 on the clock was sort of noticed by me in passing but i put it down to the fact it's a different model to our 182. When adam says the wheel jumps in first - well it does in our 182 and my moms Corolla Tsport if u turn the TCS off on them - and it used to in my Zetec-S before i changed the ECU. No reason to think something was untoward. The engine sounded great both in the workshop started from absolute cold and on the test drive.

This has put me right off buying second hand cars lol - especially as I was looking at getting a 182 trophy. I certainly wont ever be buying one private. When i do get the courage I'll be sure to take a pic with me for the dials to check they are the right ones lol. But how far do you go with this? Count the stitches in the seats?!!!

Adam: also check they dont go backwards lol... But then the HPI should have flagged that up.

182 McSportius
This is odd the history only goes back to 2007.

02/2007 reading: 44,125
06/2008 reading: 53,607
02/2010 reading: 57,156

No MOT for 2009????
Hmm wonder where it went. It may have been off the road between 06/08 till you bought it. Would also explain the miles not going up any more than the previous. The MOT system has been computerised since before 2009 so it cant have had one done at all i guess.

Bumder With A Buffer
My bet is it was in a prang and repaired not going through insurance hence the change in clocks and hence why no mot for 2009

Bumder With A Buffer
That's what I don't understand unless the car was sold to someone...he started selling bits off it ie clocks etc then it was sold to someone else and repaired but with the wrong clocks??

Or it was broken into and the clocks stolen :S

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Or driven about with no MOT and mileage was hitting 70k now so garage/previous owner changed clocks to get higher value for it?

Any previous tax discs/service history etc to suggest the car was driven during 2009?

Bumder With A Buffer
Odd as f**k! I'd bet prang (not a major one)

or the owner was on a round the world trip for a year!

182 McSportius
I just ran the same thing on my daily car and my car did 6k then 10k then 27k then 3k so consistent mileage not always indication of anything.

Anyone think of any other way to check ? Adam does the V5 supplement have prev keeper on?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Maybe ring DVLA to see if it was SORN last year.

If it's been in a bump though, why bother changing the clocks?

It also went for 4 months in 2008 with no MOT, bit odd.

Clio 172, Clio 200
ahh yes I do have that bit. It's doesn't have the previous owner on it, just new keeper supplement.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I would take it back if I could. Yes I paid 4k. here is a list of problems I have:

Engine noise, stalling and failing to start
CD Player noise
In-car light buzzing, stops when you push up on it
Rust in spot lights
Trip computer not working
non standard 172 clock (140mph instead of 160mph)
Auto windscreen wipers not working
Wheel bouncing in first
rear windscreen wiper blade faulty (should not have passed the MOT)

Forgive me but did you have your glasses on or contacts in when you went to see this car and handed over money/details?