ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this laptop any good??

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
always a hard question with no info :)

is it any good for what? throwing at pigeons?

a few things that jumped out at me = small hard drive and shared graphics card :( its running windows vista and has 1gb of ram. hmmm it would be quite slow if you were running the windows vista aero theme/style

Mk4 .:R32
Only need it for uni work, so for MS Word and Powerpoint. Also need it for the internet and prob whack itunes on it as well!!

So is it poo pants then :(

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
It'll be alright but may feel slow. Ideally you'd want at least 2gb ram with vista.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Don't panic!!

That laptop is decent for the price...you can upgrade the RAM easily enough providing it will accept 2GB which i'm guessing it will.

The only other thing is the 80gb HDD. Bear in mind Vista uses about 4gb already...once you've got things installed and usic etc...it fills fast!!
Th

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
NO! Avoid Celeron processors at all costs, slow a fcuk!! Core 2 Duo, with minimum of 1GB preferably 2GB, also avoid Toshiba, try HP.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
idd^ but for souly word applications thit will be fine

Can you not buy laptops with windows xp on anymore from PC world??

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
no, I don't agree. Celerons are useless for anything, a complete waste of money, bootup will be slow, shutdown will be slow, internet browsing, apps etc anything.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Asus components are as strong as oaks!

not sure about systems though...would expect so though

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v
No it is sh*te and i only read intel celeron 1.6, in car terms its a tank with a 1l engine in it. I have got same proccessor in my laptop, i hate the pice of crap but it is a an insurance laptop so i couldnt say no, other than that i wouldnt pay for one.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
No it is sh*te and i only read intel celeron 1.6, in car terms its a tank with a 1l engine in it. I have got same proccessor in my laptop, i hate the pice of crap but it is a an insurance laptop so i couldnt say no, other than that i wouldnt pay for one.

thank you, lol. Celeron = Waste of money (fancy paperweight)

Golf Mk3 Gti 8v

thank you, lol. Celeron = Waste of money (fancy paperweight)

I have to disagree witho you though, shutdown on mine isn't slow, i just hold the power button, ooo sorry gareth i do that BECAUSE its so slow lol

utter SH*TE

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
For laptops do they give you 2 sticks of 512mb instead of one 1gb stick? There might not be enough slots to upgrade.... I don't really know about laptop internals.

none :(
have a look at this one..
http://www.staples.co.uk/eng/Catalo...21797,35750,21850&webid=391370&affixedcode=WW

or this one (one i just got)
http://www.staples.co.uk/eng/Catalo...21797,35750,21850&webid=391003&affixedcode=WW

they are amd so hopefully your not an intel geek and the one i have got is fast especially for a laptop and i am used to 'fast' lol as i built my own pc (although its gone t!ts up hence the laptop :D) and the screen is excellent imo its well worth the money!

the first one is the same kinda model but half ram, smaller hdd etc but has an all in one printer (if u need it). if you go into staples they are a little more money but u can pay it monthly instead of all at once (interest free)

hope this helps!

BG 182
a few things that jumped out at me = small hard drive and shared graphics card :( its running windows vista and has 1gb of ram. hmmm it would be quite slow if you were running the windows vista aero theme/style

The Aero theme/ glass windows dont work with the shared on board graphics set, would have to have a graphics card for the full Aero/glass windows.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
For laptops do they give you 2 sticks of 512mb instead of one 1gb stick? There might not be enough slots to upgrade.... I don't really know about laptop internals.

its depends from laptop to laptop, but I would expect most to come as 2 x 512mb

German Barge
couple of options for you... i bought the following after lots and lots of research...

Vostro 1500 with
CORE 2 DUO T5470 1.60GHZ, 800MHZ FSB, 2M CACHE
15.4 WXGA SCREEN
1024 MB 667 MHZ DUAL CHANNEL DDR2 SDRAM
120GB SERIAL ATA 5400RPM HARD DRIVE
FIXED INTERNAL 8X DVD+/-RW DRIVE
6 CELL 56WHR LI ION BATTERY
128 MB NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400M GS
INTEL PRO WIRELESS 3945 802.11
MICROSOFT WORKS 8
VISTA HOME PREMIUM

all for £433 delivered to my door...

the other option is one of these...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...m=null&tm=null&sku=036561&category_oid=-27751

the only thing which stopped me buying the one in the link was the fact it had a shared graphics card, and for the sake of 3 quid more, i opted for the dell despite it slightly slower processor.

as has been said, go for an Intel Core 2 Duo...

when ordering from dell, i did it over the phone, as the vostro comes with vista business i.e. lacks the media centre. I spoke to them on the phone and buttered them up, and i got home premium instead.

if your thinking about the pc world one, then be quick as they are selling quickly...

hope that helps.

Can you not buy laptops with windows xp on anymore from PC world??

nope, all went clearance and we sold them through at silly prices.

All our laptops now come with Vista... the cheap ones just come with Home Basic, which is much less demanding on performance, because Basic doesnt do f**k all! lol

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
http://www.staples.co.uk/eng/Catalo...21797,35750,21850&webid=391370&affixedcode=WW

http://www.staples.co.uk/eng/Catalo...21797,35750,21850&webid=391003&affixedcode=WW

they are amd so hopefully your not an intel geek and the one i have got is fast especially for a laptop and i am used to 'fast' lol as i built my own pc (although its gone t!ts up hence the laptop :D) and the screen is excellent imo its well worth the money!

the first one is the same kinda model but half ram, smaller hdd etc but has an all in one printer (if u need it). if you go into staples they are a little more money but u can pay it monthly instead of all at once (interest free)

hope this helps!

STAPLES?!?! thought they sold paperclips and paper ??

hope this helps!

STAPLES?!?! thought they sold paperclips and paper ??

For the money thats a bargain! surprised u can get a half decent home use laptop so cheap with a all in one printer thrown in too! :eek: looks like the best deal i've seen.

head down to your local PC World store this weekend... All stores in the country are being targeted with selling their clearance laptops at the moment, so they are going quite cheap.

I have anywhere from £20-£100 off the already reduced prices to clear them at the moment... However the discounts are dependent on the manager's dicression, so dont expect all stores to have the same discount applied.

Mk4 .:R32
went to PC world, they were a rip off. All the laptops upto about 500 quid for 1GB memory. have u got a link to that 450 quid one??

yes, look above.

We have £350 laptops with 1Gb Ram at the moment. Laptops are currently at rock bottom prices.