ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is this at all possible????

Tesla MP3 2021
Following on from this...

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...ote-access-to-NAS-from-iPhone-iPad&highlight=

Filesconnect isn't really a good program for actually playing the music files, you have to put each track into a playlist and its just a pain in the arse tbh.

What I ideally want to do is remote connect from my iPhone to my NAS and play/stream music in an "iTunes" style layout so its easy to browse and play the songs/albums/artists I want to listen to.

Ok, so my setup is..

iPhone/iPad
WD MyBook Live (2TB)
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=280
Linksys (Cisco) WRT120N Router (I think its this model, or its something very similar)
http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WRT120N

Now, is there any way to use the VPN feature of the iPhone/iPad to remote connect to my home network, whether it be to the router or just straight into the NAS drive?
The NAS drive also as an iTunes Server feature but I don't:know if this can be used on an iDevice.

I just want to be able to access my music when in the office, out and about etc and have a nice, feature rich, user friendly app to browse and play the files!

I am asking too much lol!

DCi
Well to do this the app would have to be a media player that can build a playlist from a network location and it would be useful if it didn't get confused when you move from wifi to 3G etc... Doubt it

It might not be suitable but what I do is leave my PC on which is connected to my amp and use apples remote app to access my iTunes remotely... My iTunes library is on my NAS

DCi
Well to do this the app would have to be a media player that can build a playlist from a network location and it would be useful if it didn't get confused when you move from wifi to 3G etc... Doubt it

It might not be suitable but what I do is leave my PC on which is connected to my amp and use apples remote app to access my iTunes remotely... My iTunes library is on my NAS

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah don't really want to be leaving anything on i.e PC, MBP etc.

I find it hard to believe in this day and age that something like this is very complicated, or if at all possible to setup!

DCi
I guess NAS is still a bit new in the home environment..Meaning no one has thought to develop this. Maybe we need a bit more demand, even if the iPod app could play from remote locations it would be great

Although that would mean people would do what ive done and purposely buy the lower capacity device because I knew I planned to stream

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
The kind of router you get at "home" may well have support for VPN passthrough, but then you'd need a VPN server (another machine) behind the router.

The iPhone will work with a PPTP VPN, but they're insecure so not good. Ideally you'd use an IPSEC VPN as the iPhone supports this type of VPN, pfSense (V2 release candidates) have a working IPSEC VPN server with mobile support that works with the iPhone VPN client.

Then you'd need some sort of player that is capable of playing direct from the VPN.

Sounds like an awful lot of arsing about.

Tesla MP3 2021
Yeah thats what I am thinking. Its going to take a lot of config and its still not even guaranteed!

Shame, looks like I will just have to take my iPod Classic out of the car a bit more until!

DCi
i guess the main way to do it at the minute is playist in files connect and organise your music into folders so it's neat when youre browsing :rasp: