ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is there a need to change the pads when changing the discs

PH1 172
As per title.....

My discs need replacing and will be going with Brembo HC but my Ferrodo DS2500 have still got life in them and don't want to be buying another set if I can still use my pads until they wear out

Thanks

Tel

Clio.
Yes, normally...When you say lots of life left in them, how much we talking 15% worn 60% worn?
I personally wouldn't put old pads on new discs, as the old pads have been bedded into the old discs, you wouldn't get the same braking effort as before.
Never scrimp on brakes or steering......it can get messy if you do.

Last edited:
  172 cup, Impreza P1
If the pad face is still flat and level then make sure they're not glazed and I would use them again. If the disc was heavily grooved and the pad face matched this profile then when new discs are fitted the contact area will be hugely reduced and so I would replace both.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've never changed just discs or pads. If one of them needs changing, I do both.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
expensive though if the pads really are barely worn. There's no reason not to de-glaze pads on a flat surface with course emery paper

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I always thought DS2500s and CLs went through discs anyway.

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as the pads were in good condition and had plenty of life left.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
most track pads will eat through disks. I've done 3 sets of disks for one set of pads for someone (not my pad recommendation I hasten to add)

PH1 172
I will take the pads off and check the condition of the surface whilst I am fitting the discs, if I need to new ones due to the surface being fooked then I will order them asap and then put everything on together.

Pads I would say are only 30-40% worn based on the thickness when new.

Thanks for the info :)

Clio.
expensive though if the pads really are barely worn. There's no reason not to de-glaze pads on a flat surface with course emery paper

Yep, thats fair. But ensure the pads are not tapering in any way...... personally I'd put them aside for an emergency post track-day blast.......(after realising you only have 1mm left on the pads you are expected to get home on).;)