ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is premium oil worth it?

FF Orange Clio 182
I need to do an oil change on my 182. It has about 90k miles on the clock and gets a beating quite regularly.

Should I get Elf SXR + filter kit for £27 or fuchs Titan race pro (£48) + filter kit (£9) . Will it make much difference?

182 ff
I need to do an oil change on my 182. It has about 90k miles on the clock and gets a beating quite regularly.

Should I get Elf SXR + filter kit for £27 or fuchs Titan race pro (£48) + filter kit (£9) . Will it make much difference?
I used Elf SXR...I thought it was good, until I used millers cfs..I could tell the different ..quieter on start up for one..go for the fuchs oil, it will be far better than the Elf..you get what you pay for,i guess.

RB 182 FF
The Elf stuff is fine for daily and spirited driving as any 5w40 Fully synth would be. I think race pro s etc would be wise for a track car.... I use Millers Trident 5w40 for my daily because it's good, cheap and British!:up:

FF Orange Clio 182
Thanks everybody. I won't be changing it that often. I've decided to splash out go with the Titan race stuff even though it's probably overkill...

RB 182 FF
No one can argue about spending money on better oil, if you have no problem spending on it then jobs a good un! I use Millers Trident as it's cheap and good and renault recommended... I'll change it twice a year if I've done a lot of miles but if I haven't then it'll wait. What I don't get is people buying Race pro s or equivalent then changing it after 4k-6k miles, that is a total waste!

RB 182 FF
Fletcher has a point for track cars, 4-6k is usually an annual change so more than worth it, and that oil has worked hard,but people who buy Race pro s for a daily and do 6k motorway miles then change it are crazy, and earning too much!:tongueout:

Last edited:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Fletcher has a point for track cars, 4-6k is usually an annual change so more than worth it, and that oil has worked hard,but people who buy Race pro s for a daily and do 6k motorway miles then change it are crazy, and earning too much!:tongueout:

Not true at all mate.

I have my car serviced on an annual basis. I only cover aroind 6k a year, but regardless of that, if i covered 10k a year i would still get it serviced annually.

So when it comes to my annual service for the sake of an extra £20 for oil that i know is the best it can be i think its well worth it.

38p extra a week to have the best oil. Thats ok with me.

RB 182 FF
I agree with an annual service for sure, it really is pennies.... I can see how my post read, what I meant is someone doing 18k motorway miles a year and changing Race pro s 3 times in a year....I know people do it, my mate does and in my opinion a complete waste of money, I've tried telling him but he has a fetish, that was the point I was trying to make....

RB 182 FF
But for sure there are worse fetish's, if he wants to spend that sort of cash throwing away perfectly good oil it's his car, his money!:up:

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
3000 miles of track use probably equate to about 20,000 miles of normal use.

For the sake of £40 and 30 minutes, why wouldn't you?

Who mentioned track use? I didn't and nobody before my post had either.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Who mentioned track use? I didn't and nobody before my post had either.
Nobody.

I was just highlighting that everybody uses their car differently so everybody has different needs when it comes to changing their oil.

Why are you so hostile?

182 ff
Nobody.

I was just highlighting that everybody uses their car differently so everybody has different needs when it comes to changing their oil.

Why are you so hostile?
actually rossi did state, use race pro oil for track use. so in a way, track use was mentioned. the lad who started the thread,stated he thrashes the car,that can also suggest track use.
http://www.drivenracingoil.com/news/dro/training-center/articles/dont-fall-for-the-myths/
bugger i have gone off race oil now ha ha

RB 182 FF
I'm not the real Rossi klm182....:tongueout: I did think my mate with the 172 had a bad oil fetish until I discovered my other mate who owns a mint Lancia Delta Integrale that only ever sees bone dry summer days buys some special Italian oil shipped from Italy for 95quid for 5 litres, then only does about 800/1000 miles a year and then changes it...

182 ff
I'm not the real Rossi klm182....:tongueout: I did think my mate with the 172 had a bad oil fetish until I discovered my other mate who owns a mint Lancia Delta Integrale that only ever sees bone dry summer days buys some special Italian oil shipped from Italy for 95quid for 5 litres, then only does about 800/1000 miles a year and then changes it...
i gathered you are not the real rossi, am sure he wouldn't drive a 182 ha..your mate is very lucky, he may have the best car every made..years ago i was at the lights,one pulled up next to me,never seen a car move so quick,in the day, they said it would beat any car on any surface(rally version)..if i had the money i would buy the evo 1 version now..£80,000 well spent ha
back to the oil debate.. if you look at it,you cant compare track use to road use,its like usain bolt and mo farah...so maybe my semi race oil is no good for normal road use.. since i have changed from elf,the engine seems quieter and feels smoother..maybe be its the placebo effect..
but changing the oil regularly cant do any harm..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
Nobody.

Why are you so hostile?

Hostile? I didn't realise I was. Not meant to come across that way.

I agree that in the case of a track car, or a car that only does 6k a year it makes sense. But for someone that does 12k a year in a daily driver then it doesn't.

I probably should have given more stipulation in my original post but I assumed people would realise that.

182 ff
Hostile? I didn't realise I was. Not meant to come across that way.

I agree that in the case of a track car, or a car that only does 6k a year it makes sense. But for someone that does 12k a year in a daily driver then it doesn't.

I probably should have given more stipulation in my original post but I assumed people would realise that.
Been using halfords fully synthetic for must be over 4 years now.
dont tell anyone that,when you sell the car ha ha

RB 182 FF
i gathered you are not the real rossi, am sure he wouldn't drive a 182 ha..your mate is very lucky, he may have the best car every made..years ago i was at the lights,one pulled up next to me,never seen a car move so quick,in the day, they said it would beat any car on any surface(rally version)..if i had the money i would buy the evo 1 version now..£80,000 well spent ha
back to the oil debate.. if you look at it,you cant compare track use to road use,its like usain bolt and mo farah...so maybe my semi race oil is no good for normal road use.. since i have changed from elf,the engine seems quieter and feels smoother..maybe be its the placebo effect..
but changing the oil regularly cant do any harm..

My mate is a very lucky other than being married to a dragon!:tongueclosed: He bought his Integrale 17 years ago from Milan for 8k, god knows what it's worth now, it's as immaculate underneath as on top...got rally carbon brake disc coolers on front wheels, rally braces, fully seam welded, maybe one of the best in existence...! I had the pleasure of an 8 mile drive in it to our next nearest town on twisty road, he encouraged me to give it some, I thought my 182 felt like a gokart but that was something else!! :smile:

So summary of oil is....
Daily driver/spirited drives-5w40 fully synthetic. Elf sxr, Millers Trident/XF longlife, Shell Helix, Halfords Fully Synth etc..
Drive it like you stole it 24/7 / Track days- Race pro S, Milers CFS varients, Motul 300v etc..

??:smile:

182 ff
My mate is a very lucky other than being married to a dragon!:tongueclosed: He bought his Integrale 17 years ago from Milan for 8k, god knows what it's worth now, it's as immaculate underneath as on top...got rally carbon brake disc coolers on front wheels, rally braces, fully seam welded, maybe one of the best in existence...! I had the pleasure of an 8 mile drive in it to our next nearest town on twisty road, he encouraged me to give it some, I thought my 182 felt like a gokart but that was something else!! :smile:

So summary of oil is....
Daily driver/spirited drives-5w40 fully synthetic. Elf sxr, Millers Trident/XF longlife, Shell Helix, Halfords Fully Synth etc..
Drive it like you stole it 24/7 / Track days- Race pro S, Milers CFS varients, Motul 300v etc..

??:smile:
imagine what it was like,when it was new in the late 80s, bet your mates car is worth at least £50000. I would marry a dragon to own that ha ..not for long.. they said the s4 version(rally one) produced a 1000 horse powers, it scared the rally drivers, some got killed, so they banned group B cars..
you have to remember its getting on for 30 years old..it would leave most cars today for dead..lancia did make some great cars..

Last edited:
  FF Orange Clio 182
What a disaster. Had to go and get a new socket to get the fuel rail guard off as mine was slightly too big. Then spent hours trying to get the old filter off because it was almost welded on, had to take the chisel to it in the end. Dropped the car down and reversed back but forgot to take the old oil pan back out and left a nice dirty skidmark down the drive haha... Just going to take it to the garage next time I think :smile:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's Mobil 1 Motorsport that I run. But its worth keeping in mind that changing gear oil reasonably regularly is also a must as far as I'm concerned, especially on a track car. The oe spec oils will NOT stand up to track use as the heat breaks them down. Before you know it, you've got a crunchy 3rd/4th gear or a whine off a bearing.
Everyone upgrades the oil in the engine, so why not the gearbox?

FF Orange Clio 182
It's Mobil 1 Motorsport that I run. But its worth keeping in mind that changing gear oil reasonably regularly is also a must as far as I'm concerned, especially on a track car. The oe spec oils will NOT stand up to track use as the heat breaks them down. Before you know it, you've got a crunchy 3rd/4th gear or a whine off a bearing.
Everyone upgrades the oil in the engine, so why not the gearbox?
I'm not massively into cars, I've never heard of anybody doing this. How often should it be done and where can I find out how long it has been? Do you need to top it up too?

RB 182 FF
Some cars have a dipstick for the gearbox oil but the Clio doesn't... Gearbox oil isn't something that would usually be involved in servicing intervals, the best way to know is when you buy a car then unless the previous owner or garage told you it was done at a certain time then change it when you get the car....It can make a gearbox so much slicker, if your box feels awful when changing gear then an oil change is worth a shout.

The filler hole is on the side of the box and when the oil level reaches that height it will flow out indicating the correct amount....You remove old oil with sump type plug similar to an engine oil change....A garden weed sprayer or equivalent is useful to fill gearboxes, just put your new gearbox oil in it and the tube in the filler hole and pump until oil flows out the filler hole and insert the plug, jod done....:up:

RB182cup&golf gti
I'd go with the elf stuff personally. It won't be rubbish and as long as you check the oil frequently and change it as recommended you should be fine. I use to drop my oil every few thousand in my first car and use Mobil 1. Complete waste of money, especially given the age, mileage and the fact that it was a shed and everything went wrong with it!!

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I'm not massively into cars, I've never heard of anybody doing this. How often should it be done and where can I find out how long it has been? Do you need to top it up too?
The majority of cars have gear oil in them that's never been replaced mate! Most jc5's will need to be topped up as they leak like a sieve at the selector shaft!!
The oil replacement/topping up procedure has been covered by @VR46-G@Z