ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my interior temperature sensor missing?

2002 172
I am trying to stop my fans blowing hot air constantly in my car. I have climate control and have read about the motors behind the console, but would like to make sure the temp sensor is working first!

Should I have one connected to this grey plug? And if so, where can I get one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 617125CA-7206-4843-B5E9-76BBA6A86749.jpeg
    617125CA-7206-4843-B5E9-76BBA6A86749.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 306

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I don’t know. If no-one gets back to you with an answer, I’ll happily unplug mine when I next drive my car (it’s parked away from my home, so I can’t just nip out and try I’m afraid :pensive:).

oreA

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M135i; Clio 172
I do know they get clogged up with grime and dust and all sorts of cr@p, so you may want to give it a clean anyway, to make sure it’s working properly :up:.

2002 172
I don’t know. If no-one gets back to you with an answer, I’ll happily unplug mine when I next drive my car (it’s parked away from my home, so I can’t just nip out and try I’m afraid :pensive:).

Cheers for the help pal.
Looks like I’ll be getting into the footwell to remove the climate control motors after all!

2002 172
I will definitely be stripping it down and checking it out of the car anyway.

Does anyone know what the grey plug should be connected to??

Grey plug on mine is attached to a microphone for a factory hands free kit. Although for some reason my car wasn’t fitted with a compatible head unit and I’ve had no luck trying to source one.

As for the temp sensor, if it’s plugged in and when the ignition is on you should hear a buzzing noise from it which at least indicates that the fan is working within it. The only other way to be sure it’s working is by watching what your heater system does when adjusted.

2002 172
Grey plug on mine is attached to a microphone for a factory hands free kit. Although for some reason my car wasn’t fitted with a compatible head unit and I’ve had no luck trying to source one.

As for the temp sensor, if it’s plugged in and when the ignition is on you should hear a buzzing noise from it which at least indicates that the fan is working within it. The only other way to be sure it’s working is by watching what your heater system does when adjusted.

Cheers for the reply, that puts that one to bed then!
The sensor has been stripped and cleaned. Fan is working anyway!
I have repaired the stepper motor for temp control in the footwell and all seems well.

Only the outside temperature display to go now!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Bump to this... Now I clearly am missing something here ?
Where is this sensor?..

Attachments

• 20181123_112859.jpg
    20181123_112859.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 334

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
It's a 2005 182. After further research looks like it's different from the 172 sensor

Land Rover
Yes mines just a little blue blob, visible through a hole in the overhead console.

It’s crap. I want to refit the earlier fan type, as the blue blob is affected by the temperature of the plastic console and not the actual air temperature in the car.

So on a hot day, l get freezing air until the plastic cools down and in cold weather l get roasted until the plastic warms up.

But at least the aircon and air distribution vents work....the only 182 l test drove where they did.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
Did a test the other day.
Switched off the auto function and set the vent speed manually to a mid position, ac off and started to play with the temperature only and found out that between 18 and max there is a small difference meaning it blows hot air basically. Only if going to the minimum setting it starts to blow cooler air from outside.
As I understand the cabin sensor only has a role when you put the climate on auto so it looks like the problem with the hot air is from elsewhere (having the climate on manual).
I can trick it to blow cooler air by setting it to minimum and let it blow cold air for a while then gradually increase the temperature to about 19 degrees Celsius and it stays pleasant. But if going 20 or 21 it starts to blow hot once again.
Setting it to 19 from the beginning let's say it blows hot.
This is kinda strange what do you guys think?

Land Rover
I think the sensor is always active. So if you set it to (say) 16 deg and the car is actually at 10 deg then you will still get full heat until the sensor reaches 16 deg.
All you can do is reduce the fan speed manually, which just reduces the amount of heat pumped out of the vents.

It’s great once the car is actually at the temperature you set.

That’s why l don’t like climate control, it was the same on my friends S-Max. Whatever you do with the controls (unless you set it to “min”) you get full heat until it reaches the temperature you’ve set.

On our new VW l specified standard aircon with ordinary heater controls and it’s marvellous, it does exactly what you ask it to do.

Cool or just warm air on a cold day? You got it.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
In the avensis family car the climate works just fine. On auto it doesn't roast you and for sure I can remember that the clio used to be fine. So I think there's a fault somewhere

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I would check the cog on the drivers footwell that a lot of people bodge fix with a cable tie. Could be mashed and slipping causing the temp not to change correctly.

Land Rover
The climate control temperature changes fine once the car interior is up to temperature
But l will check it anyway, you never know!