ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my gearbox on the way out.

clio sport cup
I think it is.. I have the following symptons: (X plate phase 1 clio sport)

When warm (not cold) there is a metallic fan type noise between 2-3K with a smaller grindy noise behind it.

It pulls fine in all gears.

3rd has popped out a couple of times since the noise started.

1st and fifth seem uneffected, 2nd 3rd (the worst) 4th are.

If i leave it for a few hours, for the first 10miles there is no noise.

It is not a engine mount 'donk' noise.

It started yesterday on the way to work (30 mile trips, started at about 25miles) and is worse today. (started earlier on the trip)

There is enough oil in the gearbox (I took the plug out and some oil poured out) It was on a slight slope.

clio sport cup
listening again to it at lunchtime.. as it stops when i press the clutch .. could it be the release bearing?

ValverInBits
change the release bearing on the gearbox (lot of labout tbh)

Fit a new dogbone too if it's bad. In extreme cases a really worn one can cause the car to come out of gear when you give it hard throttle.
By dog bone, I mean lower rear engine mount (the one that takes all the torque)

TVR Cerbera
if it's jumping out of gear, the dogbone could be the cause.if it crunches into gear then the syncromesh is toast and you need it rebuilt. release bearings do get noisy when they have no pressure on them, but will usually last as long as the clutch does.

clio sport cup
cheers, thats all good.. It been in the garage, and they think its not the gearbox, (GB oil changed) and no filings, and its too intermittent to be the release bearing etc. They moved a few bits about, the exsults, heatshield etc, that seemed to be rubbing, and the noise 'seems' much better this morning.

In fact no noise until about 20 miles of driving.. It also seems to go if you hit a bump in the road etc..

However, they have reported that the nearside rear spring is broke, so im wondering if it a combination of things, producing a resonating noise? Also there is a crack in the cat too :(

any inital ideas, and I may take you up on that offer, if it still stands. :)

Cheers

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
reading your other thread is the box now fully broken or what????
im away this weekend but could pop over next week