ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my Dephaser nackered?!

Clio 182
Just a quick query. I'm putting my engine back together after a cambelt problem and got round to doing the timing now. Having a few issues getting it to line up perfectly.

There is a bit of play in the dephaser pulley (182 on about 75k miles), but I'm not sure if it's too much and therefore nackered? Video in the link below (note divshare turned it 90 degrees!)

http://www.divshare.com/download/11938075-fcf

I've tightened all the sprockets, then when I put the TDC pin in, it takes a bit of fiddling to get the camshaft tool into the slots on the back, which I think is in some way due to the play in the dephaser. Is that normal or should it be easy to slot in?

Thanks in advance!

Clio 182
Cheers Fred, very useful as ever.

I have the renault pulley locking tool (1509 / 1509-01), a Laser TDC pin and I made a camshaft alignment tool in the workshop! Used 5mm ground flat stock steel for the tabs and some flat machined 20mm thick aluminium to align them and keep it stiff. Having done it all up, my tool is in no way deformed, so should be fine.

Was thinking of running it without the auxiliary belt briefly just to check if I get the 'sounds like a diesel' noise, then I'll know for sure if I need a new dephaser.

4776336063_7183c8ac97.jpg

Clio 182
Simple answer is because it costs about £140 for a new one! HAve spent a lot on parts already. Since they don't seem to be critical when they go wrong, it doesn't seem like a big risk. Am getting quite handy at doing both belts now, so not too worried if I have to change it in 6 months / a year.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Just a quick query. I'm putting my engine back together after a cambelt problem and got round to doing the timing now. Having a few issues getting it to line up perfectly.

There is a bit of play in the dephaser pulley (182 on about 75k miles), but I'm not sure if it's too much and therefore nackered? Video in the link below (note divshare turned it 90 degrees!)

http://www.divshare.com/download/11938075-fcf

I've tightened all the sprockets, then when I put the TDC pin in, it takes a bit of fiddling to get the camshaft tool into the slots on the back, which I think is in some way due to the play in the dephaser. Is that normal or should it be easy to slot in?

Thanks in advance!

Mine was exactly the same when i did my engine last week. When i took the tools i borrowed back to Renault i spoke to one of the technicians and he said he has never done an f4r where the cam locking tool just slots in allways takes a little fiddling. He said it was due to the play in the dephaser and there is allways a little play in the belt to. So it sounds like yours is fine

Clio 182
Mine was exactly the same when i did my engine last week. When i took the tools i borrowed back to Renault i spoke to one of the technicians and he said he has never done an f4r where the cam locking tool just slots in allways takes a little fiddling. He said it was due to the play in the dephaser and there is allways a little play in the belt to. So it sounds like yours is fine

Thanks for that, reassuring. Gonna fire it up today, fingers crossed!