ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my clutch dying?

BG182
Badically in the past couple of days I have had something occur consistently which may have something to do with the clutch. If I put my foot down in anyway, the revs rise up to 4k - 4.5k revs, without actually getting anywhere. Almost as if I'm sitting on the clutch?

I believe I know why it may have started too, I was stuck in a multi storey the other day on the ramp up. When it came to move off again the handbrake wouldn't budge, I got it halfway down as I managed to set off but the price that came with it was an intense burning smell. Related to my new issue?

Any help would be most appreciated

RB Clio 182
Put it in say 4th gear at 30mph and put your foot down, if the revs rise but your speed doesn't its probably your clutch.

BG182
Put it in say 4th gear at 30mph and put your foot down, if the revs rise but your speed doesn't its probably your clutch.
It does it in all gears if I floor it, obviously the higher you go up a gear and the lower the revs at the point I put my foot down, the longer the delay lasts.
Can clutches be repaired or am I looking at a new whole clutch?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
A new clutch kit supply and fit is around £450
From who?!

A genuine Valeo clutch kit from southwest Autos is £110 Delivered.
From memory it's £150 labour.

Say £300 absolute maximum.

It's not a 3 hour job on these, not now that majority of the time the subframe nuts are spinning and that then will add an hour on easily. I allow a full day for them now, been bitten too many times.

BG182
Before I take the plunge and buy a new clutch, could I get a couple more opinions that it definitely sounds like a new clutch is needed? Or could there be anything else causing it?

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
My friend had the same issue with his Suzuki but it was a little worse. Any gear above 3k rpm it would just go to red line while very slowly increasing in speed. The problem on his was down to Gearbox oil leaking onto the clutch. It could be that but while the gearbox is down might as well do clutch.

renault clio 1.4 16v
You could have burnt the clutch plates while in the parking, this will mean that the surfaces are either burnt and polished or worn away... only way to see is box out so you might as well replace it and be done with it...