ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is my clutch dying?

FF182 Brembo Max, BMC CDA
Hi,

The last two days my car has been whinning/whistling but only when the clutch is engaged. If you press the pedal in it goes away. I think its the Thrust/relase bearing. Will it do any major damage if I leave it? Or will it get really bad?

thanks,
Ollie

Monaco RS Clio 172
on every car I have had, when you're idling, if you push the clutch in, it gets quieter. only slightly, but it does.

even my 172 there is a slight noise when the clutch is up on idle that seems to go when I push it down.

I assume it disengages some of the cogs (yes I am not very good in my understanding of gearboxes) when you push it down on idle, hence why you should always start a car with the clutch down :)

stops it turning over a big gearbox of cold oil.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
If there is a squeeking type sound that goes away once the clutch is depressed then it could well be the release bearing.
It won't harm it...it'll just get progressively noisier.

Mine is one the way out. Sounds worse on cold starts. Also the clutch pedal gorans/creaks when it gets hot.
Only cure is a new bearing which is only worth doing with a new clutch.

ok guys thanks very much for your help. Just out of interesdt when is the clutch kit normally done, ive only done 30k?

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
Depends on how the car has been treated. The clutches are generally quite good, and should see 60k or more with mixed driving.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Depends on how the car has been treated. The clutches are generally quite good, and should see 60k or more with mixed driving.

Agreed. Mine is now on 50k but the bearing has been on the way since about 45k.
It tends to be the bearing that goes, not the actual clutch itself.

ok, i prob drive it like everyone else drives there 182, fast sometimes and careful other. im no kev though. oh well see what happens thanks for all your help though.