ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is lumpy idle considered normal on.1*2

Skoda Citigo/Octavia
Seen a number of classified ads mention a lumpy idle from cold as being normal/common issue.

From your experience is this 'normal' and would you still buy one that suffers from it?

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Idle should be good and smooth, but generally most seem a bit lumpy especially when cold as stated. To be fair it is not normally to hard to sort out. It would not put me off buying one. There are quite a few threads on here regarding idle on these cars!!!

Clio 182
Bit late but hope you sorted it. It is very common but is not a characteristic of the car, as bloke has said a few times they should have a nice smooth idle, I recently purchased one with the "lumpy idle from factory mate" people say this a lot even the seller was told this and passed the info on to me.
Inlet Cam timing was out, it's about half hour to check but tools are recommended for accuracy but is possible without if you know your f4r's. For peace of mind I've always changed my cambelt as soon as I have purchased a car so if you plan to do this it may sort it, if not check parameters and start looking for sensors like map air leaks and don't rule out the pas sensor which can cause low revs and intermittent stalling when parking etc (can weep PSF get dirty and cause connection problems).
Going ocd on it and cleaning abloute everything unplug electrical connectors spray contact cleaner, get the gunge off the throttle body etc don't be put off. they are going up in value so you wouldn't loose much on it if you should it on.
To contradict they do run a bit lumpy when cold but does clear after 20 seconds, due to the nature of a direct injection engine, injectors have to put up with extreme conditions have can start to wear and slight dripping of fuel into the cylinders can occur, once this clears it's pretty smooth.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
It says in the owners manual you get with the car that the car runs on a cold map for 120 seconds from start. The idle is only usually a little higher than when it’s warm, not erratic though. I only ever get my idle messing about after a bit of spirited driving.