ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is lightening the flywheel worth it ?

172 cup
I'm toying with the idea of getting my flywheel lightened by scholar engines as I need to change the clucth in my 182. I was just wondering peoples opinions on if it is actually worth getting it done, the car will be getting cams or ITB's at some point next year would a lightened flywheel work well with these ?

182cup & 172 racecar
It all helps, but does cost a fair bit to get done. But if you have got it all apart and fancy getting it done, then go ahead.

Ours was also balanced to the crank.

172 cup
Thank you, is it just as simple as getting them to lighten it then replacing it or am I missing
Something and its more complicated than that ? As they have only quoted me £45+VAT which
Seems too good to be true

182cup & 172 racecar
Seems cheap to me.

If they don't ask you what your max revs will be, walk away. It's not just a case of milling a load of metal off the back, to make it as light as possible.

340i
Just get the angle grinder out ;)

Ideally it needs to be balanced with the full rotating assembly, the 1*2 flywheels are pretty light to begin with, you can't take off much more than 1.5KG iirc?

172 cup
Just get the angle grinder out ;)

Ideally it needs to be balanced with the full rotating assembly, the 1*2 flywheels are pretty light to begin with, you can't take off much more than 1.5KG iirc?

Lol can I not just drill a few holes in it ;)

Ahh ok , could this cause problems if I don't get the whole lot balanced ?

It's better to get the whole lot balanced, my local engineering place charge £150+vat for full bottom end balancing. Obviously you need to do the removal yourself ;)