ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth tidying up a car before you sell it?

E85 3.0i
Thinking of getting rid of the 182 this year for an R26 and there's a few bits on the car I've always meant to get round to tidying up. The question is, would you bother? Can't decide whether I'd be better off paying out a few quid to get them put right in the hope of getting more for it or accepting a bit less when the time comes.

Main issue is this scrape on the passenger A-Pillar which has come from the wiper arm coming loose and banging against it (furious I didn't stop sooner, still need to get the parts but £200 from Renault, hopefully get them second hand from a breaker)

DSC_0028.jpg

...and this scratch right of the diamond

IMG_0374.jpg

The wheels could do with a re-furb, there's the usual bonnet chips and some on the doors where a previous owner must have opened it onto a pillar/wall.

Am I being anal and just spending pointless R26 funds or would you have it as immaculate as possible for sale?

Mk1 Focus RS
tbh i wouldnt bother if it was my car, the cost of getting all these minor imperfections fixed probably won't equate to the extra money you sell it for.

if i was you i'd advertise it a little bit cheaper and put the money towards the R26 :)

NickM5c

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW M5c, Audi A2 FSI
Personally I'd leave little bits like that. At the end of the day it's 7 or so years old now so there's bound to be little marks on it and such. You MAY make it slightly easier to sell but you'll not get your money back. Let's face it - its a Clio not a supercar so just mention anything really noticeable in the advert and leave it at that.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
What's wrong with the wiper? I had the same problem and just moved the wiper down, that fixed it, pm if you want the number for a cheap decent body shop to sort it...

Also pm me before you sell please, insurance allowing I'll have it off you ;)

E85 3.0i
What's wrong with the wiper? I had the same problem and just moved the wiper down, that fixed it, pm if you want the number for a cheap decent body shop to sort it...

Also pm me before you sell please, insurance allowing I'll have it off you ;)

You know the spline the wiper goes on? Well that's worn so there's some play in it. I've asked Chips Away to have a look at it just to see if I'm talking £100 or £600 to fix it, no idea how much they charge.

Yeah course I will mate :)

Accord 2.4
Id get a badge for it, only about £10 and will improve look.

Simple things like that might put people off. I think if its cheap enough to replace why didnt they? if they cant be bothered to replace a £10 part what else has been neglected.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Oh, no good. Check ren parts, may be cheaper.. The place I went to removed 3 dents and sprayed the whole side of my car for £150... They'd probs do the a pillar for £30-£50.

Are you leaving it cup packed or splitting them first? Because If I buy this I'll give you a cup spoiler to sell on if you leave the ly one on :p

E85 3.0i
Id get a badge for it, only about £10 and will improve look.

Simple things like that might put people off. I think if its cheap enough to replace why didnt they? if they cant be bothered to replace a £10 part what else has been neglected.

It's got carbon diamonds front and back, old pic whilst waiting for new parts from streamline :)

Accord 2.4
Ive just read the scratch right of the diamond teach me not to just look at the pictures! :lolup:

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
lol at worrying about those on a 7 year old cheap french car.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
From a buyers perspective... I really wouldn't care. I bought my first RS with a dented bonnet and 12" key scratch on it, and it was only 3 years old. Maybe that's just me though? As long as you knock a bit off everyone's happy.

Not that I have much buying/selling experience with cars but I think if there was anything big like a dent in the bodywork or chip in the windscreen etc. then I would sort that out before selling but for small chips and scratches its kind of expected on a car that isn't brand new so I wouldn't bother.

DB.

BMW 440i
Wouldn't bother. Most people don't notice certain things like those, and some aren't bothered!

Noooo all sorted now just that's an old pic dude.

I'll see what chips away says but prob just end up selling it as it is, warts and all.

Please don't let chips away or any smart repair company near it. A couple of little scratches are a lot less likely to put a buyer off a car than paint work that looks like it was performed by a blindfolded five year old, especially LY.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Please don't let chips away or any smart repair company near it. A couple of little scratches are a lot less likely to put a buyer off a car than paint work that looks like it was performed by a blindfolded five year old, especially LY.

Listen to this man.

I'd rather fix the marks myself than look at a car massacred by a "bad" smart repair man.

Racing Blue 182 Cup
Small scratches and chips are acceptable IMO. Full panel sprays for minor stuff would make me think of serious accident repair.