ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth it?

Iceberg 172
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you think its worth it but I've been quoted a lowest price of 1600 pounds for a years insurance on 172/182. I'm 21 with 0 NCB but named driving experience since 17. I have a current policy which expires in February on a 1.4 16v Clio, which is 850 a year, should I wait for 1 years NCB and check with the likes of sky, brentacre, flux, greenlight? Or is 1600 a good price?

What are your thoughts and what did you pay at 21 with 0 NCB?

Thanks,
Dan

Iceberg 172
What do you think flux etc would charge for a 21 year old with 1 NCB and driving experience?

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Do it. Whats £1600? It means a year of fun. You're young, just get it done! I bought my 200 when I had just turned 19, and a Fiesta ST when I turned 18. Worth every penny!

​Only live once!

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
I'd personally wait until you have 1 years NCB. It will make a difference come renewal on a 1*2 I'm sure.

MR2 Mk1.5
Hi Dan, we can usually work with claim free named driver experience so it's worth getting in contact, tel: 01707 642552.

skyfbimage_zpsf8bef167.jpg

Thanks

Ollie
Sky Insurance

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
You're statistically more likely to crash a 1*2 and if you do your premium next year will be massive. I vote for another year's driving experience and spend the money elsewhere or save it...

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
The older lot will say to wait, and the younger lot will say go for it.

It really is up to you, shop around and see if you can get it cheaper first though

Clio 182
was reading an article yday bout a 21yo killing himself and his gf in an evo, maybe im being cynical as im turning 27 tomorrow. but im a strong believer that drivers should have to 'build up' to powerful cars. My transition was, 1.2-1.6-1.8-2.0, over 8/9years, which i reckon was a good choice, not only financially but also in terms of experience.

back on topic, that is a cheap price, i have friends who are 21 getting quoted the same on 1.2 corsas. mind theyre much cheaper to mentain than a 1*2 tho ;)

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
was reading an article yday bout a 21yo killing himself and his gf in an evo, maybe im being cynical as im turning 27 tomorrow. but im a strong believer that drivers should have to 'build up' to powerful cars. My transition was, 1.2-1.6-1.8-2.0, over 8/9years, which i reckon was a good choice, not only financially but also in terms of experience.

back on topic, that is a cheap price, i have friends who are 21 getting quoted the same on 1.2 corsas. mind theyre much cheaper to mentain than a 1*2 tho ;)

You cant tar every young driver with the same brush though.

I had a 1.2 clio for a year then went into a 172, ive had it 2 years now and ive not crashed it yet?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep

I had a 1.2 clio for a year then went into a 172, ive had it 2 years now and ive not crashed it yet?

PB Clio 172

don't agree with that at all, I was driving a 5 Turbo at 19 and I learned lots from it never crashed it was careful as I loved the car !

to the OP do you have the 172 yet? just if you do SORN it till Feb then drive it with a years no claims

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
At 21 with 2ncb was £850 for me, gone up a fair bit after an accident so pay just over £1k atm but hoping for a nice drop this year.

Iceberg 172
Ok, thanks for all of your advice. Admiral who I am with atm, have given me a quote of 400 pounds for the rest of the year on a 182. This will last until January 14th, which Sky insurance have then said I can receive a quote of roughly 1150 for a years insurance on a 182, 1 NCB and 21.

Still worth it? I'm tempted.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
No car is worth splurging £1600 for insurance on - you'll not miss much for a few years in a smaller engined car - infact just enjoy the cash!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member

Agree'd. I had a 182 at 19. Depends if your buying a 1*2 to go down to mcd's at the weekend and show off and race everyone else on the road or if your buying one because you enjoy cars and take pride in it.

You will always get young folk buying fast cars and killing people.

Back on topic. I think that's a good price I was £900 this year: 21, 4years NBC. If your going to look after it and be sensible then go for it IMO! I'm glad I did!

Iceberg 172
Agree'd. I had a 182 at 19. Depends if your buying a 1*2 to go down to mcd's at the weekend and show off and race everyone else on the road or if your buying one because you enjoy cars and take pride in it.

You will always get young folk buying fast cars and killing people.

Back on topic. I think that's a good price I was £900 this year: 21, 4years NBC. If your going to look after it and be sensible then go for it IMO! I'm glad I did!

Ill be buying a 182 because of the extra gadgets my 1.4 doesnt have and because I enjoy cars and will get great enjoyment out of keeping it clean and driving it.

Im thinking of maybe saving my 400 quid and getting one in January with sky insurance for 1150 for the year, seems a little more sensible.

LY FF182
I'd save the money and wait until renewal!! My first car was a 1.2 corsa, striped it out and fitted a 2 litre... massive jump in power and didn't kill anyone.