ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it worth it?

Monaco 172
My ph2 172 engine will be on 105,000 by the time I get back from afghanistan in april next year and I was a full service. so is it worth paying out for all belts etc and dephaser or get a second engine with lower miles and pay for fitting + belts etc. I'm trying to think cost effective.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Wtf logic?

If its running fine just change the belts.

Belts and full service. Looked after these engines last. Look at sir_daves trophy, is on 186k and is still going!

Audi A3
seem how much you think its value is.

me personally i wouldnt spend more than 50% of its value on a service, that is crazy. id be looking to strip it, and that to the servicing money and buy a newer one.

unless yours is perfectly immaculate and you dont want to part with it.

Monaco 172
Mines no show winner, and I do see the logic of buying a newer / better condition one but its the dephaser and belts that I wasnt peice of mind on and to buy a car thats had them done would cost a lot more :(

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I am in the same boat. Difference being, the engine in my 172 is strong and doesn't drink any oil. I could break It buy another 1*2 and up with a weaker engine.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Sounds like it needs a set of valve guides and stem seals. Nice top end refresh at the same time as the rest of the work and you are good for another. 50k