ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it typical for the dephaser to break when changing cam/aux belts?

182 Cup
Just had my 182 into a main dealer for the cam belt kit and aux belt kit, as it had reached its 5th birthday. The service manager contacted me to say that when they tested the car afterwards to check it over there "was a noise on the engine". He later confirmed that the dephaser had "broken" whilst they were doing the cam/aux belt work, which he said was unheard of. Anyway they offered to change the dephaser free of charge.

It sounds to me like they ballsed something up, given they were prepared to foot the bill, or is it one of those things?

P.S.
Is it standard to remove the front grille when doing the above works, as one of the clips that holds the grille in place has been snapped :mad: when I've got the car back and several of the bolts around the front of the engine bay close to the headlight units have clearly been undone.

Any advice would be most appreciated, cheers.

Dodgy one
Labour FOC and Still expect you to pay for the part? and yes front bumper comes off or its easier too anyway

S4 Avant
Yes, fairly normal to remove the front cross member, and as Fred says, you've saved the cost of a dephaser pulley, and having to change the cam belt again at a later date.

RB Clio 182 Cup
P.S.
Is it standard to remove the front grille when doing the above works, as one of the clips that holds the grille in place has been snapped :mad: when I've got the car back and several of the bolts around the front of the engine bay close to the headlight units have clearly been undone.

Any advice would be most appreciated, cheers.

I can't think what bolts you mean but yeah it's a bumper off job and the grill comes off as part of the bumper.

I had the opposite experience, i snapped one of the clips when taking the bumper off to paint my washer blanks. When it came back from cam and aux belt change it had a nice new renault clip in place again :)

182 Cup
Thanks for the info.

They absorbed the entire cost of the dephaser work, which I appreciate is substantial and has potential future benefits.

However, I had real problems getting the car back, as they kept if for 4 days more than they'd originally said and were very vague when I contacted them. Plus, having looked the engine bay they appear to have been bloody hamfisted.

Also, having got the car back it now makes a strange noise above 3000revs. However, only when on the throttle and moving. Sounds a bit like blowing through two pieces of paper or blades of grass.

Clio 200 Cup
Thanks for the info.

They absorbed the entire cost of the dephaser work, which I appreciate is substantial and has potential future benefits.

However, I had real problems getting the car back, as they kept if for 4 days more than they'd originally said and were very vague when I contacted them. Plus, having looked the engine bay they appear to have been bloody hamfisted.

Also, having got the car back it now makes a strange noise above 3000revs. However, only when on the throttle and moving. Sounds a bit like blowing through two pieces of paper or blades of grass.

Sounds like something might be rubbing on the cam belt or aux belt, get them to sort it - it shouldn't make a noise.

340i
Thanks for the info.

Take it back ASAP ?