ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is it possible to turn off airbag light with airbag ecu removed?

I started removing the airbag ecu and the wiring from under the seats, and in the process of pulling out the wires I must have stripped off one of the connectors off the wires, and now the airbag light is on.

So can I ditch the ecu and all wires that come from it, and use a resistor in the cables coming from the car?

The guides I have found seem to use resistors in the ends of the cables under the seats.

Damn.

Only problem with that is there's 2 lights on, the airbag light (which I dont mind removing) and the service light, which I want to keep

Yeah I understand your concern.

The SERV light doesn't stand for service though by the way. It's just an error lamp.

It might even be possible to do what you wish though. I just took the easy route.

JP83

South Central-Oxfordshire
ClioSport Area Rep
I have the same issue, but I've simply taped the airbag light.
It passed an MOT, as currently, the SERV light won't fail it, although that could change in the future.

Pretty sure you need an airbag ECU though to turn the light off (whether it needs to be your original one, or a random one, I don't know)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
FB15B3D7-153E-4DB3-922C-B7CEDB50E072.png

I used this diagram and cut pin 7 for the warning light. Both airbag and service light went out.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Probably, just means you won't know when there's a fault.
Sounds like underseaat connector is dodgy in your case.

I've no airbags or pretensioners in my car at all so removed the ecu and wanted a way to switch the light off.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
Probably, just means you won't know when there's a fault.
Sounds like underseaat connector is dodgy in your case.

I've no airbags or pretensioners in my car at all so removed the ecu and wanted a way to switch the light off.
Interesting. So will the SERV light still work for other aspects? Not that there is a lot left in my track car.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Interesting. So will the SERV light still work for other aspects? Not that there is a lot left in my track car.

I assume it'll still work for other issues such as abs but, somehow, nothing else has flagged it up!
I don't think the serv light comes on on its own does it? Usually in conjunction with something else iirc.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah the SERV light always comes on with another light apart from the rain/light sensor on the windscreen if that's unplugged it will just bring the SERV light on, as someone on here discovered recently.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Found it on here after a mega search.

I should check my old Haynes manual and see if their diagrams include the system too.

It threw me a little as it has diagram for electric steering underneath? The diagrams I have don’t have any of that on..

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Here’s the diagram I have.. do you think it’s the violet wire running from airbag ecu to diagnostic connector?
4B45BE3F-982D-4269-BDF3-D3C88BFB0A46.png

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I reckon it is. BUT, do what I did. Cut it in such a way it's very easy to reconnect if it's the wrong one rather than flush with the plug.
Or just remove the pin without damaging it.

EVO 4LEX

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R and a 172 Cup
Ok, so, just doing this to a 182 and it's not like my ph1. As in it's not worked! f**k.

Must have something to do with the three wires on the diagram I posted..( going from airbag module to diagnostic connector) any chance you can test voltage on those three with and without airbag module plugged in? Maybe needs foolin to think module is still plugged in when it’s not..

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Must have something to do with the three wires on the diagram I posted..( going from airbag module to diagnostic connector) any chance you can test voltage on those three with and without airbag module plugged in? Maybe needs foolin to think module is still plugged in when it’s not..

You're probably right. I'll see if I get a chance in the next few days.

dan's cast offs.
logically if you reconfigure with clip and turn everything off then i'd imagine it would be fine with the airbag ecu removed? never tried it this way myself though so can't confirm 100% if this will work though.

JP83

ClioSport Area Rep
logically if you reconfigure with clip and turn everything off then i'd imagine it would be fine with the airbag ecu removed? never tried it this way myself though so can't confirm 100% if this will work though.
Tried this with mine, but it couldn't find anything without the airbag ECU

PH2 172
I assume it'll still work for other issues such as abs but, somehow, nothing else has flagged it up!
I don't think the serv light comes on on its own does it? Usually in conjunction with something else iirc.

The Service light comes on by itself when the auto lights/wipers module on the windscreen is removed/disconnected/faulty, in case you missed that thread a couple of weeks ago.

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
Did I read somewhere that the light(s) can be turned off with an RS tuner?
Yes, but mine seem to come back one after a short while. This is with resistors in place also for seat and steering wheel. Was never an issue with the steering wheel, on e the seat came out I’ve had lights on since (about 2 years).
Hoping the above wire snip works

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
To answer the above question, my Ph1 triggered the light when I removed the airbag ECU, you can turn the light off with CLIP by setting all the individual sensors to “Without” this however does not prevent the light coming back on when you remove the ECU again (light is probably on because the ECU itself is missing from the multiplex)

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
You can set the multiplex settings to remove airbag ecu from multiplex iirc, that would prob work if you wanted to bin the airbag ecu. I tried it but still had the serv light on (my airbag light does not work for some reason not taped up either ?) found airbag ecu stashed behind dash so set all airbag sensors to without and serv light went out.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
You can set the multiplex settings to remove airbag ecu from multiplex iirc, that would prob work if you wanted to bin the airbag ecu. I tried it but still had the serv light on (my airbag light does not work for some reason not taped up either ?) found airbag ecu stashed behind dash so set all airbag sensors to without and serv light went out.
Yeah that was my next thought but I couldn’t figure out how to do it with CLIP, in the end I bolted the airbag ecu to the bulkhead and shortened the cable out the way ha one to figure out another time, along with how to configure the injection computer as mine has no command option weirdly.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
I cant remember how to reconfig multiplex would need clip in front of me. From memory you just set the relevant ecus to present or absent depending what you need. Think you need to go into the lambda fault finding part to reset throttle parameters etc. Thats about all you can do from memory ecu related on clip.